Loading times problem

When I start analog lab V the loading times are very long (about 24 seconds per instance).
I have a Ryzen 5.16 GB of RAM, a crucial SSD M2 P3 and a 1060. Every other VST loads in less than 5 seconds but if I want to use more than 2 instances with ALV, every time I open a project, I have to wait longer 2 minutes. So it’s definitely frustrating. Is there a solution?

I haven’t a solution only a comment that those times broadly ‘pro-rata’ correlate to the times I experience on my Apple Mac Stdio Max which is probably 20-30% more powerful than your PC and has 4x the memory. So this is, from my experience, normal.

It’s quicker to open the individual V Collection instruments rather than Analog Lab, but of course that requires you to own V Collection, or at least own the specific instrument playing the preset.

1 Like

Hi all,

@Dragoda
Which Ryzen 5? What’s the specs?
Which graphics do you use?

I have a second Laptop with a AMD Ryzen 5 4500U, 2.38 GHz with Radeon Graphics - No other graphics on the laptop. 8 GB RAM.
I’ve just tried to load 4 instances of Analog Lab PRO in my DAW Studio One 6 and each instances load in less than 10 seconds. I know it sometimes can take longer time, but not minutes.

Are you sure you have’nt something loaded that fill up your RAM?

Are you using the latest version of Analog Lab?
Don’t know if it matters, but do you have a huge amount of presets? How many?

Have you checked your system health and settings? Have you checked your graphics settings?

If you can’t find any issues on your side, then i suggest you contact Arturia support.

Are you having the issue, when you use it in standalone mode or only in your DAW?
Which DAW do you use?

1 Like

the cpu is a ryzen 5 1600 with 16 gb of ddr4 3200, the gpu is a 6 gb geforce 1060 and the hdd is a crucial p3 m2. As daw I use fruity loop and everything is up to date. I don’t understand where the problem is.

Here is the benchmark your CPU vs mine: UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 vs 4500
(BTW: The CPU’s do not live up to the requirements.)
They perhaps should perform the same load time. But i can’t tell for sure. It perhaps also depend on the performance of your SSD.

If you can check the performance of your CPU, your RAM and your Graphics, then that’s something to try.
Is your PC set to high performance mode in the power settings. Try if not.
You can also try to run a sfc /scannow to repair windows in case ther should be corrupt files.

The other VST’s you mention, are they third party or part of your DAW? A DAW’s plugins often load faster than third party plugins.

You can try to reinstall Analog Lab and see if it make a difference.

Nothing has to be wrong. Perhaps it’s just a performance issue. But Arturias plugins is’nt the fastest to load, as they use heavy graphics, which there probably is a reason for. Vector graphic is’nt that heavy, but perhaps it can’t be used in this case.

I’m not sure why @Jon_Vincent have the same load times as you have.

Feel free to contact Arturia support, in case they have an explanation.
I also suggest @Jon_Vincent to contact Arturia support, if the load time is very high.

1 Like

First of all, thank you all for the advice you gave me, I really appreciate it.
What I don’t understand, however, and which I have already read on other forums, is why regardless of the performance of the PC the loading times remain so slow when romplers with many more presets do not present the same problems. It would be enough to have confirmation from Arturia that the program is done just like this in order to put your soul at peace.
Also because I don’t want to update my PC if I don’t solve the problem, given that all VSTs run ultra-fast, less so than analog lab.

You are welcome @Dragoda . But i’m also in deep water here.

I can’t tell you that the amount of presets matters. I’m just trying to troubleshoot possibilities. A preset browser use a database file, and that can be bigger or smaller. I don’t know how much of that file is loaded from first load.

Also load times seems to be different between your PC and mine test, even if it look like the load time should be the same.The question is why?

1 Like

I don’t, my load times are probably half OP’s, but that’s probably proportional to the power of my computer.

What I don’t understand, however, and which I have already read on other forums, is why regardless of the performance of the PC the loading times remain so slow when romplers with many more presets do not present the same problems.

One crucial difference is Arturia’s VSTs aren’t mainly romplers. They live-generate everything via ‘on the fly’ emulation, which is CPU heavy. How, if, or why that could be important with respect to loading times, I couldn’t say. But it might be.

1 Like

Okay. Then i misunderstood.

1 Like

To understand the loading times I’ll post mine, for a comparison I invite you to do the same.

• the first start of ALV takes exactly 25 seconds, after which every other instance takes exactly 11 seconds.
    -the individual instruments (dx7, sq80 etc etc) take approximately 3 to 8 seconds.

Me:

• the first start of ALV takes exactly 12seconds, after which every other instance takes exactly 5 seconds.
    -the individual instruments (dx7, sq80 etc etc) take approximately 2-4 seconds.
1 Like

you could post the hardware specifications of your PC to get a more precise idea of ​​how to carry out a possible upgrade.

I tried to load 4 instances again today on the laptop i mentioned. Not one of them loaded in more than 12 seconds. The first was just below 12 seconds.

It look like you have around the same load times as i do on a laptop with a similar CPU performance.

BTW: There a specs recommended on the product pages.

I can suggest you get the best CPU singlecore performance the multicore CPU as possible for processes that can’t run in parallel.

I think I will opt for a Ryzen 5 5500 which meets the requirements in max turbo frequency of 4 GHz, it should give me 20% more performance. I will post the results later.

I think it’s best you read like the requirements is for the latest CPU’s on the market. Also keep in mind that the requirements is for a single instance.
I’m not sure you will feel that much gain, with the 5500 CPU. You can try to compare it with the latest CPU’s

I personally prefere Intel if on a PC for music production. But some are happy using AMD.

unfortunately the 5000 series is the last one that I can mount on my motherboard and spend more than €100, considering that in 2 years I will change PC, it is not worth it to me. However, a 22% increase in performance on each instance is not a small thing, it would be enough for me to go lower under 10 seconds to feel happy with a 7 year old computer XD. Thank you again for the precious advice you give me.

Just in case. You might get a 20% better load performance yes. But if you get that in performance depend on many things. All ongoing processes use the same CPU.

1 Like

In the end I managed to overclock the RAM and CPU. I reached 3.80 GHz per core without touching 70° while the RAM was at 2933 MHz. By doing so I managed to start AnalogLab Pro in the first boot in 17/20 seconds and the subsequent instances in 8/10 seconds, not a miracle but definitely better. As you advised, I don’t think it’s worth doing an upgrade of the CPU alone now. In the future I will valuate Intel. Thank you all for the advice and inspiration XD now I have the soul at peace :)…

Here I got the same problem of ever increasing loading times. Then I deleted the file “db.db3” from "%ProgramData%\Arturia\Presets", a procedure which solved problems in the past, and it still does so today.
After an initial few seconds loading of Analog Lab standalone, it started scanning and rebuilding all the preset database, which took quite a coffee break.
Now loading times decreased from about 25 seconds to about seven, the VSTi loading even faster.

Are the presets actually contained in this file, or is it just a central registry of presets built from other files? If I have my own presets do I need to be backing up this file somewhere?
It’s interesting this fix has been cited twice here recently: