Linux [Feature Request]

Linux. When? You know you are going to have to, someday. I just discovered how easy it is to use a MIDI keyboard in Linux. After years of frustration, of nothing but useless static through my Thunderbolt 3 connected PreSonus interface, I find the problem is in craptastic Windows 10 and the instant solution is to use Linux. The problem just went away like a stench on the breeze. Even WinE is getting up to XP levels in Linux, but it needs work. A Linux native Arturia Collection would be very nice. You would be heroes. Apple is a concentration camp and Windows is hobbling along like the dinosaurs after the asteroid. You have to go open source. It is the future. Time and tide wait for no man.

10 Likes

Hey @gridsleep we’re glad to see you here!

Thanks so much for your feedback, we love Linux and our firsts hardware products like the Origin were made on it.
I’ll check this message as a Feature Request to let our team know that there is a desire from the explorers community to co-create :zap:

Also we kindly invite you to read our Code of Conduct to get the most from our community!

Let’s keep exploring! :wavy_dash:

5 Likes

Wow, a very promising reply @Arturia :+1: :+1:

I would also love to use Arturia products on Linux!
I am a proud owner of the MiniFreak, which is the most amazing synth; I would be truly grateful if I could use it to the full potential on Linux as well (i.e. with its virtual counterpart - the MiniFreak V)!

Fingers crossed and let us know if you need any beta testers at some point :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Arturia native on Linux? I would LOVE it!

5 Likes

I have always wanted an Origin. Now that I have nearly all the other hardware I have dreamed of having, I shall look for one. I did not know it was a Linux platform. Juicy.

Y’see… this is why I think the universe IS aware and that it has it in for me. The moment I left here I found an Origin keyboard MINT for about 1/4 of what they usually cost. This is my curse. My needs are always met at the most opportune moment. Then, I am left always sitting quietly, looking around, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have to agree with Ford Prefect. I always knew the universe had something fundamentally wrong with it.

I’m also a Linux user (exclusively) and have recently purchased a MiniFreak. I would love to see some support for Linux in Arturia’s products. I would suggest that Arturia consider releasing their plugins in CLAP format as it works in Linux, Windows, and Mac.

I have installed MiniFreak V in Ubuntu 23.04 under Wine and it seems to work (standalone app), although it doesn’t show the “Link to MiniFreak” button, so I’m worried that I won’t be able to update my MiniFreak using MiniFreak V. Also, MiniFreak V doesn’t seem to respond to any of the controls of the MiniFreak hardware except the keyboard which does allow me to play notes in MiniFreak V. And although the standalone version of MiniFreak V seems to work in Wine, the VST plug-in isn’t recognized in Bitwig (native Linux version).

I hope that Arturia will release a native Linux version of MiniFreak V (both standalone and CLAP plug-in) in the near future. Or, if that’s not possible, at least ensure that MiniFreak V runs fully and correctly under Wine in Linux.

I love my MiniFreak. I just wish I could use the MiniFreak V software with it.

2 Likes

I have been looking into writing an LV2 plugin to replace PolyBrute Connect in my GNU+Linux setup. PolyBrute Connect sends and receives MIDI CC over class compliant USB and the software comes with an XML file presenting the mapping of CC values to parameters.

The firmware update function may be more difficult to implement (partly because I don’t want to risk bricking my PolyBrute when testing it).

I’m a Linux user for about 30 years, my first install was done from a few floppy disks;) Linux is my main OS for music making and use Bitwig which runs flawlessly on it.
Probably most plugins and standalone audio applications are build with JUCE.
JUCE can be used to create standalone software on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android, as well VST, VST3, AU, AUv3, AAX and LV2 plug-ins. The extra effort to create a Linux version is minimal and so it really surprises me how few plug-ins are compiled for Linux.

1 Like

If you test the output of your plugin by redirecting it to text and do the same with PolyBrute Connect, and the two output files are exactly the same, it may be safe to assume that your plugin will transmit to the PolyBrute safely and properly.

I would definitely buy into this :sunglasses:

1 Like

My first linux distro was Mandrake in the 90’s. :woman_white_haired:
It would be nice to have a true linux version (no wine). I don’t know about the feasibility.
I use Pianoteq and Reaper on Ubuntu. I’m missing a decent bass and drum for jazz.
Using Microfreak with sampling can provide a palatable bass.

I think using the FX collection in Analog Lab standalone would also be nice and maybe easier.

2 Likes

The most realistic and forward thinking suggestion here via 64Guitars is to aim for CLAP versions of all the plugins, with a native Linux shell for stand alone, plus Linux driver for the hardware. That as a minimum base would go far to establishing a future proof 21st Century for Arturia. I assume these would be workable projects that would not interfere with the fruition of current plans and could be shoe horned in with ease. It is not so much an abandoning of old ways as an expansion of awareness toward new emerging horizons. The two operating system hegemony is as tired as the one about two world powers or two political parties that are as nearly identical as they are become useless to the people they are meant to serve. The future needs to be new and accessible equally to all if it is to be realizable, let alone survivable. A united federation of players, as it were.

3 Likes

Hi,

Happy to see fellow Linux users here ! :grin:

Beside plugins build for Linux, and drivers for hardware when not just class compliant (e.g. Minifuse 4 is a bit dumb down in class compliant mode), what would be great would be a web-midi version of the Midi Control Center, running in chromium-based browser (chrome, edge…).

That’s how Novation’s Component software works for instance, as well as a significant amount of gear from various manufacturers. Using this method, you can configure gear on whatever environment supported by the browser as long as you have a USB port and support midi (even Android or IOS). That would definitely be a great improvement over the “use a windows Virtual Machine” when you’re on Linux…

Also, the great thing about Linux users is that a lot of them are actually willing to help making that happen. For instance, to get my minifuse 2 to be properly supported on linux, I did some work on the Alsa profiles with upstream help, and got Minifuse 2 supported, with the loopback feature. After a while, someone came and needed Minifuse 1 support, I helped adding that too, and now Minifuse 1 & 2 are plug and play on recent Linux systems.

The Minifuse 4 works as well if you have a bleeding recent distro (that could be backported for e.g. Debian 11/12 or Ubuntu 22.*) ; for the class-compliant part at least (I wasn’t involved that time, but I was considering getting a Minifuse 4 for this reason).

It’s not that hard, actually. Support is often considered an issue, but even with no “official” end-user support beside the basics or very limited, it would be a great leap forward. You could have a reference system (some release of Debian, Ubuntu, or other), and the distro developers would probably do the rest.

Dell and Lenovo are offering linux pre-installed on laptops. It’s not that niche anymore! :wink:

To be clear: it’s not a rant, it’s a request: I think everyone would win. This is the only thing making me consider a Launchkey from Novation instead of a Minilab 3, for instance.

5 Likes

A LAN/Linux/CLAP/HTTP/MIDI evolution. This is turning music composition into exploring alien planets. I like it. Linux has been available on new laptops for quite some years but it has mostly been on the QT. One had to ask for it. “Shtung! Shtung! The Chinese watch will be ready at nine.”

Hey there, I too would really like native linux support for Arturia hardware and software!

Even more so since Microsoft has announced that (almost) anything windows 10 will go EOL mid-october 2025: announcements for home & pro and for enterprise & education.

Windows 11 will be a no-go for me, and I’m already moving back to linux, where I’ve lived the first 15 years of this century.

If I can be of any help, e.g. for low-key packaging QA, I’m mainly a gentoo user. I could never get my head around the inner workings of debian and all its variants, even though ubuntu was the first “works out of the box” distro I ever saw. I tried LFS when I first left mandrake (wasn’t mandriva yet), and I intend to replace my ubuntu (which is overgrowing the laptop it’s on) with an arch or mint some time soon-ish.

Side note: I’ve just completed my profile on Arturia’s main website (not the forums). The choice of user OS has lots of MacOS possibilities, same for Windows (evenXP is there!), and one IPad/iOS entry. Adding a “linux (if/when we add it)” option there would hype us and, since the list is multiple-choice capable, you could get a ballpark idea of user reach!

Edit: I’d rather avoid having to use wine or the like. The constant fighting I used to have with wine was the reason I reverted to windows ~2015.

2 Likes

Thumbs up to this! I am also a Linux user and not having Linux support for V Collection is what is keeping me away from buying it. Sometimes I am forced to use Windows but I wouldn’t buy any software that would tie me to it because I don’t know for how long I can stand suffering Windows so I can’t risk to ditch the money.

1 Like

I must also remind everyone that SecureBoot and TPM were forced on all hardware manufacturers by Microsoft economic clout, and which serve no purpose but to be gatekeepers that will make all future computers Windows Only. All non-Windows OS makers have to pay a $99 fee to Microsoft to get an authorization code that will allow their software to run in a SecureBoot machine. Please keep this in mind when shopping for hardware, and look for hardware that allows SecureBoot and TPM to be disabled at the choice of the owner. THE OWNER OF THE HARDWARE, NOT MICROSOFT WHO WANT TO OWN YOUR SOUL.

1 Like

Would also appreciate linux software versions. Already on the way to migrate to Linux (using Bitwig, etc.). Biggest problem still the software related to hardware…

Btw: Studio One also works on a Linux version :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reaper, as well.

1 Like

In the Account Settings - Edit Profile for the Arturia website (not the forum), there’s an optional section where you can specify your Operating System. The available choices include many versions of Windows, macOS, and even IPad - iOS, but there is no option available for us Linux users. Please add Linux to that list so that Arturia customers who are Linux users can update their profile accordingly.

3 Likes