Linux [Feature Request]

Yo!

What could be great is if you can also add your distribution. Linux is not an OS. Ubuntu is.

/!\ Warning, I’m not saying we are doing it. I’m saying that I am interested to know the most used distros in our user base. I could write an entire book on this specific subject but I’m not willing to do it right now /!\

Cheers !

There are many Linux distributions and I assumed you wouldn’t want to add them all, so I suggested a Linux option as a catchall for all Linux-based distributions.

I use Ubuntu 23.10. I’ve noticed that most of the companies that support Linux (Bitwig, for example) specify that they only support Ubuntu, and usually only recent LTS versions. Although, Bitwig also includes “any modern distribution with Flatpak installed”.

Perhaps you could list a few of the more popular distros such as Ubuntu, and also include some of the distros that are made for audio/video such as Ubuntu Studio and AV Linux. You could also have a “Linux - other” option to catch all the other distros, and perhaps a field where the user can enter the name of their distro.

Funny i sent the the same suggestion to Support regarding Flatpak.
They added it to the Log File… fingers crossed. Flatpak sounds like it could be a viable solution and i think the number of Linux users are grossly under counted.

1 Like

+1 to this request!

I recently switched to Manjaro and use Bitwig now. It’s been an adjustment, but I have come to really enjoy Linux for music production, and I feel more equipped to troubleshoot issues than I did when using Windows.

I enjoy my Arturia products, particularly Analog Lab and Pigments, so I echo other folks here in saying that I would loooove to see these plugins built for Linux, especially with the CLAP API. That would certainly be a lot better than using WINE and futzing with yabridge.

I appreciate what you folks do regardless though; thank you for such a great suite of products. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone successfully got MIDI Control Center running properly under WINE ?
This Should be Arturias first Linux Drop. Its a small thing, but important One.

Anyone interested. Distrowatch.com is a great place for all/most Linux Distros

“Linux is not an OS. Ubuntu is.”
Slip of the tongue probably. Linux is not a distro (distribution). Ubuntu is.
But Linux is an OS.

The difference between a DE (Desktop Environment) and a distro is more confusing.
KDE stands for K Desktop Environment. Ubuntu will speak of different flavors for different DE (Ubuntu for Gnome, Kubuntu for KDE, Lubuntu for LXDE). But Lubuntu (L for lightweight) is said to be a distro based on the DE LXDE.

The following quote from Reddit seems right to me:
" A distro is basically the kernel, administrative tools and package manager, on top of that a display server/protocol (it can be wayland or Xorg nowadays).

A DE takes care usually of various things. Session management, this means logging into the graphical session through a display manager"

But then Lubuntu should not be called a distro (like it is in wikipedia).

1 Like

Linux is a OS Kernel from what i understand.
Distro (name) is a descriptive.
Unix is another OS kernel ?

Distro is a slang term many folks use.
Its all good

As you said it can be confusing.
Gala is used to describe a variety of apple ( as an example )

Yhea. I agree.

For me, and for Wikipedia, Linux is a family of OS. I think that’s probably the best way to speak about it, but that’s not my point. What I wanted to say is that when speaking about Linux, you can’t release a “Linux” version because you need pretty much one version by distros (not really I know), and that adds tons of work, problems and need for support (even if I know that Linux users really don’t need as much support as Win/Mac users hehe).

• Adobe Substance 3D
  • Maya 3D
  • Unreal Engine
    Just to name a few … have made the effort. And the list is growing exponentially.
    Many software mentioned are far more complex i would imagine.

Ask Arturia Dev’s and Mac users what they went through support of Mac OS over the years…

Studios/users want a lightweight stable cost efficient platform that wont cost extra (OS License) for every terminal (PC)

Heck, Arturia could ever create its own Linux (Distro) just for their own software that’s portable if they wanted.

As gridsleep says the “future”

1 Like

Wine Tip:

[Wine configuration]
[Graphics]

• un-check – Allow the Windows Manager to control windows.

( fixes my drop down menu problems)

A Native Linux Driver would be a good start for cross-platform transition.
Other than that things seem to be running well under Wine. (so far)

Ubuntu User with Ubuntu Studio addon installed.

Audio using pipewire & wireplumber.
Bitwig as my DAW.
yabridge for windows plugins.

plugin directories have been:
/home/USER/.(.vst, .vst3, .clap, .lv2)

Very happy with all my native Linux plugins, most notably U-he’s plugins and Vital.

Most distro’s I see mentioned when it comes to linux music making, are Ubuntu and Arch, with Fedora sprinkled in here and there.

I have referred to the OS as Linux. Been told many times it’s technically GNU/Linux as Linux is the kernel only. I’m good with people referring to it as LInux.

Vital has a deb installer and all the other plugins have an installer.sh which I’ve never had an issue with.

Arturia support for Linux would be amazing.

Cheers

Peter

2 Likes

Just wanna add some interest, I’m on Fedora and while I’ve heard of users making it work via Wine I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on the whole collection in case an update breaks it (have had this happen with Kontakt).

Given CLAP works natively on Linux, and Arturia plugins don’t support CLAP yet, maybe Linux support can be attempted at the same time. I think that’s what u-he did and it worked out pretty well for them.

Thanks, hopefully we can get an update at some point!

1 Like

i’am not a geeky user on linux and wine (bottles now!) is very complex for me to use…
i am going to have to borrow a computer friend to update to V?
really to bad!
c’est le moment pour arturia… super companie :slight_smile: de s’ouvrir a la comunauté open source linux…nous sommes des clients!
merci
paul.

Have you tried yabridge? I used that and was able to install pigments, effects, and minifreak V without any issues.

Just make sure to have .vst .vst3 in your home directory. Read the instructions twice before trying it out.

1 Like

Another yes please for Linux. One real advantage of Linux is how light and unbloated it is compared to Windows. The capacity to have a lean mean production setup, as compared to Windows. In truth, I only really boot into Windows to run my music software and video editing (since the Linux version of Da Vinci lacks h264). I’m limited to Pianoteq, U-He and Tracktion plugins in Reaper and Bitwig. So Diva and Repro do all my virtual analog stuff, and I’d love to run Pigments without having to reboot the machine into Windows.

My first experience of vsts in Linux was Pianoteq. Back on a first gen i5 laptop, with Ubuntu Studio of the time (circa 2012), I could easily get rock solid performance on a 64 sample buffer. Windows 7 on the same machine could only manage 256, which makes live playing unusable.

Now I would say that I wish the Linux people in the right places would tidy up the alsa/pulse/jack mess so that there is a single audio system akin to Macos’ CoreAudio that does both desktop and low latency audio out of the box.

Now I would say that I wish the Linux people in the right places would tidy up the alsa/pulse/jack mess so that there is a single audio system akin to Macos’ CoreAudio that does both desktop and low latency audio out of the box.

That’s what pipewire and wireplumber all all about. It’s default in Ubuntu 23.10 and thereafter. Most distros have already put it in.

You can run pigments and arturia software center in wine and use yabridge to link the VST/VST3. Works without issues for me. Go to the yabridge website and don’t use the default wine in ubuntu as it’s outdated.

What’s the latency like via yabridge versus natively on Windows or macOS?

You can try [ AV Linux ] It has a custom kernel for Latency performance.
Turn-key distro for music production. Latency performance depends on
how well you can remove / customize your system. from what i understand.

Have fun testing

It’s the same as native. I run at 64 or 128 samples and I don’t have any latency.

I just want to add my voice. We need analog lab at least native in Linux. The people you are trying to reach, the “sound explorers” are all out there fiddeling with Linux. Apparently you yourselves were at least once Linux nerds. You would have a captive market if you were the only manufacturer with heavy Linux support.