New Forum opinion

Still - “modern design language” is decrease in functionality. Tons of empty space between the rows with too small font - what a waste of screen space. Earlier the forums used to be places, where we can absorb useful information. Nowadays it’s “airy nordic design” with crack-minded usability. And I have to say - this is not only problem with this forum here. Take Windows 11 for example too - huge buttons with flea-poo-like letters in it.
Arturia! Have courage to be different! I know You already do with Your amazing synthesizers! It’s time to fix the forum for sake of the community!

Peace!

3 Likes

Parts of the forum works okey for me…

NOT AT ALL pleased with the LINK HANDLING on this FORUM !!!

I find it very frustrating that it chooses to HIDE your new topic post, if you have more than two links to the same DOMAIN…
CRAZY!

Example:
if I have two links to a domain in my NEW TOPIC POST, like ex:

ww.domain.com/ category33/resource?download=ResourceLike1.mp3

ww.domain.com/ category44/ resource?download=ResourceToo2.mp3

then this forums sees that as two links pointing to “ww.domain.com
and ignores the rest of the path of the link, and you get a warning similar to

sure you want to post 2 links to the same page? you should not post two links to the same domain!

Then you think, ok, let me post the third link in a new post REPLY so that you follow the warning you got, telling you to not have too many links in a post. This should be fine, right, but NO !!

Posting that third link in a new post reply like ex:

ww.domain.com/ category88/ resource?download=ResourceIs3.mp3

The forum chooses to automatically HIDE your new topic post, and makes sure nobody sees it! Then days later, maybe, a human users comes along and opens/un-hides only the the last new post REPLY that triggered the FORUM to hide your new topic post, but it does not make your new topic post visible again, only the last new post reply that triggered the FORUM to hide your new post topic gets visible - to you, the poster.

But not opening the first post “the new topic” post with the first two links in it, makes sure that NO ONE, ever sees your new topic post.

I have one such invisible new topic post, that was hidden, and only the followup new post reply was opened by a human user, after days of waiting, but the main new topic post still remains hidden.

So, If you by accident, have a problem, and need to show people 3 different files, lets say, a video, a music file, and a music project file, all links pointing to the same server, as you more then likely only have access to one service where you can upload.

You’ll only ever be able to post 2 of those resources, for people to see, or else your new topic post will be hidden from all, and thus “sensored”, so that no one ever sees it.

This caused me a lot of wasted time, writing a detailed post, linking to resources that could make someone able to solve my problem, only to have my NEW TOPIC post and my follow-up detailed reply’s HIDDEN! Man, all the extra work I had to do, to re-post, and to find a way around the link restrictions. As I needed to share more than 3 links, to the same DOMAIN (or cloud server).

So please, let people post several links to the same domain/server, and analyze the FULL LINK, not just the domain it points to. Compare the full links to each other, so that you that way can avoid spam to the same exact same link, if that is the concern of this forum.

It sure wasted a lot of my time, costed me extra time and energy to re-post (the problem in a different manner), and almost discouraged me from wanting to use the forum!

What saved you as a forum, was a great user, who actually found a possible solution to my problem, after I had to more cleverly re-post the problem.
This gave me faith in the users of this forum!
I still strongly dislike the link handling!!

Imagine another scenario: you want to post follow-up-video’s, where you show the result of different tests you do to try to fix the problem, but the video’s are to big for the forum, so you upload to that same cloudserver, 3 or 4 video’s and bam! topic gets hidden! Would be quite sad, and almost happened to me!

1 Like

Other than that, great forum, with great users!
It works, we can post problems, and can get answers.

I also do second the small fonts, and the wasted white-space, but it also looks nice, maybe nicer with one or two sizes larger fonts!

Now that I learned about the legacy forum, I’ll take a look at that too, because coming here as a new user, I was shocked as to how little posts were here, on each topic.

That could maybe have been mentioned somewhere, easily seen, for new members of the forum, while we sign up - the fact that there is a legacy forum!

I like this platform. I am familiar with it because Steinberg moved over to it a few year back. I have found it very intuative and easy to use. The text editor is great too – allowing links and screen shots etc to easy be dropped in.

2 Likes

Since this is my fifth forum using Discourse (GitHub, Steinberg, BFD, Waves) I’m pretty used to the format by now. Although I will say, Arturia has customized theirs more than the others, so there is still a little learning involved.
I think if you give it a chance, you’ll find it works pretty well.

My favorite feature of Discourse is how easy it is to just paste in pictures and screen caps! That’s a huge advantage in troubleshooting - a picture’s worth a thousand words.

3 Likes

Hey @alexdata thanks for all your comments :pray:

Most of the restrictions you have being awarded are Discourse security level :man_police_officer:, we’re sorry but apparently you were so fast posting!

If you didn’t already, we kindly invite you to please read our Code of Conduct to get the most from our community!

Let’s keep this place as a nice source of knowledge for all Sound Explorers :zap:

1 Like

You’re right @SF_Green :zap:
Getting use to new forum dynamics it’s much appreciated with images.

Thanks for your feedback :metal:

1 Like

Hey @wildschwein it’s nice to see you here!
Indeed now we can improve the text editor thanks to markdown :zap:

If you didn’t already, we kindly invite you to please read our Code of Conduct to get the most from our community!

1 Like

I read (and followed) both the “code of conduct” and the “community guidelines” before I posted that topic/post!

So you are saying that because I quickly posted a reply to my own topic, it was marked as SPAM? Interesting!
(“Same IP posting many posts to same forum topic within a minute- to translate into another similar meaningful statement)

Should not a human moderator - read the topic then, and confirm that I indeed did not spam it with promotional / advertisement type content?
And that I was on topic (with - my own topic) ?

Today my post in question was “removed by staff”, without violating any of the written conduct/guidelines mentioned, when we click those two links and read those rules. It was simply removed because I replied to my own post to fast, something you are the first to mention, I do not find that written in the guidelines, nor in the code-of-conduct.

Thanks for letting me know about that extra thing, @nats.arturia so I can be aware of it when posting to my own topics going forward. I would not want more of my topics to be hidden and deleted in the future.

Hey @alexdata yep!
As you posted again the same topic we deleted the first one, also the second one has already 25 replies so there is much more important information to consider.

As in live, it’s better to keep chill and don’t rush :v:

If you are having specific issues with our products I strongly suggest you to please log in to your account to contact our support team that will help you to fix this situation properly.

Best :zap:

1 Like

Hey @nats.arturia
I did contact support first! (using that same support link you posted)
That was around the 5th/6th of July 2023.
I have yet to hear back from them.

I also replied back to the automatic confirmation email I got, the email that confirmed they had received my support question, and I updated it with the possible solution to the bug - that we found by working together - here on this forum, but I have yet to hear back from them on either the original support question, or the follow-up updates, with links to to the forum post with the possible solution, and all the steps done to figure it out.
So hopefully they will reply soon.

So far the best help has been from this forums users!
So a big thanks to the forum-user that was helpful with figuring out more about my topic’s problem!

1 Like

Same. There are no visual cues to show read vs unread posts. Sorting by recent posts when drilling into a category does not work. Generally a visually confusing format now.

I recommend the devs read Krug’s “Don’t Make Me Think”

I agree it is very easy to use in terms of pasting in links and images. Once you do a few posts you also get editing privileges which is nice.

2 Likes

Hey @UglyMule there is a little greenish point in front of the unread posts, it’s not than big so it’s possible you didn’t noticed already, but if you look closer you’ll see it :eye_in_speech_bubble:

Also if you want to get notified about any particular topic you can activate them in your “Tags” section by going to Menu > Tags > Watched > there you can select the products to get a notification every time there is a new topic and/or comment.

2 Likes

My eyes are old and I missed the little green point.

Forum usability issues aside, I LOVE my MiniFreak. I play it nearly every day and have spent countless hours reviewing loopop’s wonderful tutorials (and other youtubers), to the point that I’m very comfortable with the design and layout. The mod matrix and touch strips are brilliant!

The MiniFreak has proven to be a perfect addition to my stack.

Who knows what new wonders I would uncover if only I felt confident enough to update the firmware.

Acclamations!

1 Like

As others have mentioned, seems like a lot of wasted space in this new forum system, and it is indeed very slow. I have a clean, powerful 24 core workstation on a 2Gb synchronous fiber connection and sometimes just the forum index page takes 10 seconds to completely load. Some elements load quickly, others slowly load in like we are on 1Mbit DSL in 1999.

1 Like

Hi @Milkman. Welcome to the community.

Normally there should be no speed issues unless you have issues on your own network.

Is it just me me, or does everyone else think that this new forum can do with a drinks bar. :upside_down_face:

Just to play devils advocate, I have no speed issues on a 1Gb ADSL to a Mac Mini M2 using Safari.

30+ year net/sysadmin here. As I mentioned, I have a 2Gb synchronous fiber connection. I also have access to a 1.5Gbit asynchronous copper cable connection with a different route to your site, and 2 smartphones I can switch to 5G - it’s slow on any connection, any browser, any host including smartphones. (it’s slow on page load)

I’ve been living at this location close to 5 years and have mostly great connectivity to any route I test, and my network is clean.