Minifreak V hangs/crashes in all situations since update 2.0.0.720

I’ll describe the problem as detailed as possible and share everything I’ve found out so far.

Since Minifreak V update 2.0.0.720 it hangs after about 15 seconds. I think I’ve seen it become responsive again for a while, only to become unresponsive soon after.

This happens regardless of:

• Whether I have the hardware connected or not
  • Whether sync/link is on or not
  • In both the VST (Ableton 11) and the stand-alone version

I’m using Windows 10. I have already tried the following:

• Reinstall Minifreak V
  • Clear the “prefs”
  • Reinstall Arturia Software Center

Further observations

• Minimizing the standalone version immediately hangs it.
  • Having the window lose and regain focus immediately hangs it.
  • Re-installing the previous version of MiniFreak V (version 1.0.0…) fixes the issue (but that’s no longer an option for me, see note below).
  • The CPU display in the corner stays at a healthy 15%, but one CPU core is maxed out when the unresponsiveness sets in. I have a modern system and it works fine for the first moments. Then the unresponsive/maxed out phase kicks in:

Again, I’m using Windows 10. My DAW is Live 11, but that shouln’t matter since it’s also in stand-alone. I have the hardware but it also happens without the hardware involved.

I haven’t been able to make music since Monday. This is because I’ve upgraded the hardware to version 2 as well. I had a LOT of trouble installing that firmware, with the synth becoming sort of bricked for a while. I was able to restore it after many tries. So I don’t want to risk downgrading the hardware’s firmware to the previous version. But that also means that I have to use the new MiniFreak V (since otherwise linking will not work).

So I’m now stuck because I cannot downgrade, and this version does not work. Any help is much appreciated!

HI @Square and welcome to The Sound Explorers Forum.

Sorry to read this, in order to help you better please log in to your account to contact our support team that will help you to fix this situation.

Best :zap:

Thanks! I’ve tried that (ticket n°910442) but I haven’t had a response in 2 days, so I was hoping to find a solution here.

Perhaps they’re very busy right now, I can understand that.

1 Like

What buffer size is your soundcard at? Not sure if this helps, but I’ve had issues with certain buffer sizes and the plugin…

Thanks for the reply, since your comment I tried all options (and different drivers), with no difference.

Hi @Square

Have you heard anything back from support yet?
I do know they’re quite busy currently and of course there are holidays on the horizon too, so it might take a little longer I’m afraid.

Thanks for checking in,
It’s been a week now since I’ve created the ticket and although I’ve received two follow up questions, I haven’t had a response recently and heard no outlook for a resolution.

As mentioned, I haven’t been able to make music since Monday and I’m hoping for a swift solution (or some outlook or communication on what to expect otherwise).

How are things going?
Have you simply given up and abandoned making music (I don’t believe that ;-)) or have you eventually found a solution?

Mind posting it here (so others can benefit too)?

I would be very curious to hear if/how you were able to resolve this situation? I’m struggling with the exact same phenomenon and it’s really frustrating!

Sadly, I’m still waiting for a fix from Arturia, and I have not heard anything for a while.

I’m now working with the old firmware, everyting pre-2.0, meaning I cannot use the new format for patches, and also not the store, and neither the new features. I’m hoping to hear something soon.

What is your environment?
Windows 10 too?

Yep
Intel(R) Core™ i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit 19045.4046

On my MacBook Pro M1 everything runs fine.

My issue was on Win10 also, originally, but I have since upgraded Win10 to Win11 in hopes to solving the problem, but the exact same issue remains.

I have also offered running a debugger attached to the software, because I can exactly re-create the problem, as it always triggers for me when the window regains focus. Let me know if that is helpful. I would need some instructions on getting the right code running / having a symbols file, etc.

That’s kind of weirdly interesting.
If you’ve done a complete new Windows-installation, I assume we can exclude any settings- or driver issues.
So the question remains, what exactly the program is trying to communicate with when receiving focus.
Only things that come to my mind:

• audio interface
  • graphics interface
  • Midi interface

That said:
I it were on my system, I’d change the settings / parameters for all of the above and try again to narrow the cause down.
Maybe even change some hardware (audio-interface) if available.

As the old saying goes:
“What do IT experts do, if they have a flat tire on the back right of their car?
Change the tire to the front right and see if the fault migrates.”

Here’s another observation / idea:
I observed, that MF V is behaving differently than other Arturia instruments (like Analog Lab or Pigments).
I.e. when I open MF-V in Ableton (both 11 and 12), it is first launched with the wrong resolution, I have to close and open it again to see the correct resolution (this is not the case for the other Arturia instruments).
When launching MF standalone, (at least sometimes) it seems as if the graphics are updated slightly delayed, as if in two phases.

That said:
What I would try is to change the graphics settings of my system, try different drivers or resolutions and (if possible) even a different graphics card.

Hope that helps to find a setup running on your computer!

That’s a really interesting observation. I’ll give that a try asap, thanks! Analog Lab for instance runs without any issues whatsoever.

@Square, @Zijon:

Did you come any closer to a solution of your problems?

Today I realized that the above described behavior (graphics glitch when launching MF from within Ableton) only happens when under setting the stat-page is set to ‘advanced’

When it’s set to ‘Home’, no problems.
You might want to try if that makes a difference on your side!

Thanks, Stefan. I’ll see if I can change that. Usually the program crashes within a few seconds. So far I have made no progress, and Arturia support is surprisingly and disappointingly slow and inept so far. I’ll report back after trying their current proposal: updating the MiniFreak hardware (even if I fail to understand how that would fix a software problem that occurs even without the MiniFreak connected to my computer).

I am running into similar issues. After a perilous update process taking several attempts, I noticed what I first termed to be crashes or hangs with certain patches. Unplugging USB everything seems to work. This is without miniFreak V even loaded!
Changing the midi channel in/out from all to 5 seems to fix it.
But man, for version 2 this is pretty flaky.

After more testing it is clear a USB connection makes SEQ unreliable.

– Harald