[Feature Request] Urgent Firmware Update Needed for Arturia Keystep Pro Keyboard

For me that’s enough :+1:t2: just knowing it’s not forgotten and still cared about.

Hopefully you’re focusing on the right things.

2 Likes

That’s such good news

It’s got such great potential

1 Like

I’m not holding my breath… I got the reply that they are working on “something” in 2022… and it is almost 2024 now. Welp…
But of course I’m ready to be surprised.

2 Likes

Well, I hope this isn’t just lip-speak. Too many times in the past have I seen that happen.
The KSP feels like an child abandoned in the L.A. aquaduct network. SOOO many possibilities, but ultimately limited by implementation; which turns out to be “too hard to fix.”
For the love of monkeys tho!! I hope this isn’t just talk.
And I, for one, PARTICULARLY hope the KSP will get with the 90s and record ALL MIDI DATA!!
We’re talking freakin kilobytes here. That’s all MIDI data needs. It’s mostly 8-bit. My mid-90s Roland Trinity can record more MIDI data in less RAM than t he KSP.

1 Like

Yeah, keen to see what you implement

I’d love to see streamlined workflow for midi routing…
there’s currently a few reasonably straight forward setups that become headaches to implement

eg. routing between a synth with a built in keyboard

or a multi-timbral synth plus some single channel synths,
things can get rather clunky there

eg. I’d love to choose if a track is sent out both midi ports + the USB port
or just 1 of them. (I’d love my virus on port 2, and mono synths etc on port 1, without having to disable channels on my virus)

I’d also be a fan of some control messages to and from the KSP
even if it is sysex
ways to change which track is in focus, or what mode that track is in (seq or arp)… maybe remotely turning on steps? maybe that’s going too far
But switching track focus or sending a message when I switch track focus on the unit, would really streamline the ergonomics of my setup.

eg, I could have a button that changes the currently selected part on my virus while simultaneously selecting the appropriate sequencer track on the KSP. Otherwise, it’s very cumbersome or easy to make mistakes with this in the moment, and that is kinda terrifying when considering the context of a gig.

I’d love 5 CC’s per track of sequencing if there’s a way the hardware can support that.

2 Likes

eg. someone suggested an “out+thru” option
or some other way to control what midi messages is forwarded to the synth.

If you play around with this stuff, I’m confident you’ll see where it can get frustrating.

Turning Midi Local to Off, causes problems of parameter knobs not working on a synth, leaving it on, causes duplicate notes and duplicate commands for the parameters you are sequencing.

It really sucks you out of the moment when you have to start working around this kind of thing. But I feel, with a bit more thought and development, this could all be far more user friendly and can really flourish as the weapon of a creative tool that it certainly has the potential to be <3

I use reason and I’d really like the ksp tap tempo to control the daws tap tempo whist not in play mode.

Also a latch mode for drums. So I could say split a trigger in to 2 hits

May be somebody reads this.

They just launched a new firmware update - 2.5.14
Also, thanks for the update.

Where are you seeing that? It’s not showing up in ASC and I’ve received no emails about it.
EDIT: Okay, found it. Had to go to the Arturia Downloads and Support page.
At first I was going to say it’s rather odd to release this firmware update with no announcement. But now, seeing what’s in it, I can understand. Not bloody much really.
At least we can send program change now, and have transpose latch.
Other than that tho? EXTREMELY unimpressed and am wondering what the hell took so long to release this update, considering how little is in it.
Not to be unappreciative, but this is like the least possible effort was put into it. Just to appease us. Makes me think even moreso that the KSP is being shuffled off into the corner to be forgotten. It SHOULD and damn well could be a flagship product. I do not understand why they’re treating it like an unwanted step-child.
How about recording ALL parameters, not just velocity. Aftertouch, pitch bend, and mod wheel are pretty freakin essential to record. Seriously. And we’re literally talking kilobytes here for that data. 90s synths can record all that and more, so why not the KSP? I can record it from my KSP into my freakin Korg Trinity. But not on the KSP itself. C’mon, seriously. How was recording those even left out in the first place? Was the KSP designed by engineers rather than musicians?

3 Likes

Here you go (scroll down to firmware):
https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keystep-pro/resources

And there was also a thread around here with an announcement, I believe.
Couldn’t find it anymore.

1 Like

Ah! An underwhelming update to sell the old hardware in a new looking package just in time for Christmas. Who’d have thought.

1 Like

It’s here:

https://forum.arturia.com/t/introducing-keystep-pro-chroma-firmware-2-5-sequencing-mastermind-recolored/2456

2 Likes

At least a new ‘package’ that seems to be fully compatible with the original KSP and ‘black edition’, what really is just another ‘package’.

The Chroma doesn’t add many new features, but it seems a modification of the original hardware. With this new hardware in store it will regain some attention… hopefully.

Or is there something more under the hood besides the colored lights? Something that would make future updates not compatible with the original KeyStep Pro’s?

Well, I did not expect you to be impressed. :smile:
I only wanted to give notice to the people within this thread.

After all, I pretty much can relate to the dissappointment and frustration and I also was hoping for a little more depth in communication. :slight_smile:

May be this update fixes a big issue for someone.

Kind regards!

Huh…? What is it that doesn’t confirm to the CoC you’re referring to? And… kiddies? :man_shrugging:t3:

absolutely rude.

Edit: Redacted!

@tartpop @MaikR
OOOPS!
That was for something else, please accept my apology!

2 Likes

Me, reading the thread and wondering, what I’ve done:

Just to clarify: I only was talking about his reaction. No deeper meaning behind that.

And to be fair: Probably this update still was a whole lot of work, if it does, what I believe, it does. Since they reworked some parts of the core-feature - one might say “key-” :wink:
(…already on my way to the door…)
Still a lot to do to gain back some trust and faith.
~

He called you a youngster.
Isn’t that a nice compliment? :wink:

1 Like

Oh my. I’m sorry. That wasn’t directed at you, but rather at Arturia. My apologies for the lack of clarity on my part.
I’m just SO frustrated with them, ya know? We waited so long for an update, with SO many requests … But this is just … Barely anything. Nice what they did, but that took them over a year? C’mon.

1 Like

Hi Tim,
almost a year later. Any other updates in the plans?