[Feature Request] Urgent Firmware Update Needed for Arturia Keystep Pro Keyboard

A waste of money and lifetime spent on the Keystep pro.
Not understandable at any point that Arturia is selling a piece of gear that is not working properly at all and that you keep selling it with good consciousness even you know that it is not working at all.

1 Like

Hi @FlowCheck and welcome to our Sound Explorers community!

Thatā€™s a shame you feel that way as there are MANY happy and satisfied users of the KSP.
What issues exactly do you have with it?

Ps
Please make sure to subscribe to our Newsletter to be the first to know about any new and exciting news from Arturia.

Really would like to know what problems you encounteredā€¦?

And also what improvementsā€¦? Because yeah, a vendor that sells hardware nowadays should be committed to improve it as itā€™s simply part of the ā€˜value propositionā€™.

When I connect the KSP and/or BSP to the Analog Lab software that comes with it (as advertised) and these not-so-cheap controllers arenā€™t recognized as Arturiaā€™s family members and therefore arenā€™t auto-mapped, then thatā€™s definitely a bad signalā€¦ and yes, for me the first -1. Of course I could do it myselfā€¦ but WHY?!

But then again, I find working with both devices a breeze compared to a lot of controllers without sequencers. And, some limitations I experience as inspirational (like the sequencing on Elektron boxes instead of a DAW).

And yes, some improvements could and should be madeā€¦ those are mentioned before. So I hope Arturia isnā€™t too much on the NI strategy train and is willing to put some effort in this product lineā€¦

BTW: a better integration with Analog Lab will also (re)boost sales on both sides of the chainā€¦ default mappings + mimicking the sequencers on screen (like the TR-8S software does) :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I already had many exchanges with the support, who was friendly but couldnā€™t help, but telling me that updates require time.
Been in touch since Dec 2021!!!
But here you go ( i didnā€™t mention stuck midi notes, the need to switch the keystep off when it fets stuck - on and on.)
Please check the forum for all the bugs and please donā€™t tell me about the happy customers.
Below one of the many problems which i already walked through with the support.

use KSP as sequencer send pitch & gate to my eurorack,

Gate is V-Trigger 5 Volt, Pitch is 1 V/Oct.

Voice 1 sends gates when used as ā€œDrumā€ but no gate and pitch when used as Sequencer.

Voice 2-4 have been working fine, but now they just send gate once in a while and no more pitch - or super high notes.

Even more strange: f.e.when patching gate from Track 3 to the eurorack & then hitting the keyboard, nothing happens, but when hitting keyboard via Track 2 which is NOT patched at all , Track 3 sends random gate. KSP is only used within my studio. Cables all checked.

Hello again @matjones
As you asked for the problems me and others have encountered with KSP, you maybe have any news / feedback, a little hint from your developers when there might be an update coming or if the development of the KSP simply came to an end ?

Hi @FlowCheck
I am afraid i cannot tell you that.
You see, all of us moderators are kept in a dark basement at ChĆ¢teaux Arturia and Monsieur Arturia punishes us by beating us with stale baguettes and putting Edith Piaf songs on a loop at full volume for days on end if we do anything we are not supposed to.
You wouldnā€™t want to make us suffer any more would you?
The last time it happened @VFertorandez was hospitalised for a month and has only just recovered. :open_mouth: :sob:

Truth is we do not know and things like this are announced in our Newsletter.

HTH!

5 Likes

Hi , After reading this , getting a new forum didnā€™t change anything about the attitude of Arturia in regard of its communityā€¦

I still see Basic feature request ignored , a lot of trouble, freeze and bug just by changing manually the ā€œsceneā€.
After year of using KSP , i can conclude that it is not a reliable controller for live performance ā€¦ Simple action can go wrong with this instrument.

Iā€™m very sad to see nothing has changedā€¦ Arturia have a great community of user and showed them nothing but ignorance ā€¦
KSP was my first product from arturia and will be the only one and last ā€¦

3 Likes

Hi @matjones !
Not funny!

1 Like

Hello.

I can confirm that something is ongoing for the KSP, and I hope it will help you guys feel better using this nice sequencer.

Cheers !

11 Likes

For me thatā€™s enough :+1:t2: just knowing itā€™s not forgotten and still cared about.

Hopefully youā€™re focusing on the right things.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s such good news

Itā€™s got such great potential

1 Like

Iā€™m not holding my breathā€¦ I got the reply that they are working on ā€œsomethingā€ in 2022ā€¦ and it is almost 2024 now. Welpā€¦
But of course Iā€™m ready to be surprised.

2 Likes

Well, I hope this isnā€™t just lip-speak. Too many times in the past have I seen that happen.
The KSP feels like an child abandoned in the L.A. aquaduct network. SOOO many possibilities, but ultimately limited by implementation; which turns out to be ā€œtoo hard to fix.ā€
For the love of monkeys tho!! I hope this isnā€™t just talk.
And I, for one, PARTICULARLY hope the KSP will get with the 90s and record ALL MIDI DATA!!
Weā€™re talking freakin kilobytes here. Thatā€™s all MIDI data needs. Itā€™s mostly 8-bit. My mid-90s Roland Trinity can record more MIDI data in less RAM than t he KSP.

1 Like

Yeah, keen to see what you implement

Iā€™d love to see streamlined workflow for midi routingā€¦
thereā€™s currently a few reasonably straight forward setups that become headaches to implement

eg. routing between a synth with a built in keyboard

or a multi-timbral synth plus some single channel synths,
things can get rather clunky there

eg. Iā€™d love to choose if a track is sent out both midi ports + the USB port
or just 1 of them. (Iā€™d love my virus on port 2, and mono synths etc on port 1, without having to disable channels on my virus)

Iā€™d also be a fan of some control messages to and from the KSP
even if it is sysex
ways to change which track is in focus, or what mode that track is in (seq or arp)ā€¦ maybe remotely turning on steps? maybe thatā€™s going too far
But switching track focus or sending a message when I switch track focus on the unit, would really streamline the ergonomics of my setup.

eg, I could have a button that changes the currently selected part on my virus while simultaneously selecting the appropriate sequencer track on the KSP. Otherwise, itā€™s very cumbersome or easy to make mistakes with this in the moment, and that is kinda terrifying when considering the context of a gig.

Iā€™d love 5 CCā€™s per track of sequencing if thereā€™s a way the hardware can support that.

2 Likes

eg. someone suggested an ā€œout+thruā€ option
or some other way to control what midi messages is forwarded to the synth.

If you play around with this stuff, Iā€™m confident youā€™ll see where it can get frustrating.

Turning Midi Local to Off, causes problems of parameter knobs not working on a synth, leaving it on, causes duplicate notes and duplicate commands for the parameters you are sequencing.

It really sucks you out of the moment when you have to start working around this kind of thing. But I feel, with a bit more thought and development, this could all be far more user friendly and can really flourish as the weapon of a creative tool that it certainly has the potential to be <3

I use reason and Iā€™d really like the ksp tap tempo to control the daws tap tempo whist not in play mode.

Also a latch mode for drums. So I could say split a trigger in to 2 hits

May be somebody reads this.

They just launched a new firmware update - 2.5.14
Also, thanks for the update.

Where are you seeing that? Itā€™s not showing up in ASC and Iā€™ve received no emails about it.
EDIT: Okay, found it. Had to go to the Arturia Downloads and Support page.
At first I was going to say itā€™s rather odd to release this firmware update with no announcement. But now, seeing whatā€™s in it, I can understand. Not bloody much really.
At least we can send program change now, and have transpose latch.
Other than that tho? EXTREMELY unimpressed and am wondering what the hell took so long to release this update, considering how little is in it.
Not to be unappreciative, but this is like the least possible effort was put into it. Just to appease us. Makes me think even moreso that the KSP is being shuffled off into the corner to be forgotten. It SHOULD and damn well could be a flagship product. I do not understand why theyā€™re treating it like an unwanted step-child.
How about recording ALL parameters, not just velocity. Aftertouch, pitch bend, and mod wheel are pretty freakin essential to record. Seriously. And weā€™re literally talking kilobytes here for that data. 90s synths can record all that and more, so why not the KSP? I can record it from my KSP into my freakin Korg Trinity. But not on the KSP itself. Cā€™mon, seriously. How was recording those even left out in the first place? Was the KSP designed by engineers rather than musicians?

3 Likes