V collection x update price

The upgrade prices this time are ridiculous for current owners, ive been upgrading since version 3 or 4… and slowly the prices have become more unrealistic, the problem is there’s too much bloat your being forced to pay for. Most of these instruments i’ll never use so for me it’s a case of upgrading just to keep my current plugins compatible with my OS. You can buy a REAL ANALOG behringer synth for the price of the latest upgrade and youve got the synth for as long as it stays working, based on my old behringer stuff 30 years plus and counting and they smash software plugins, plus UAD are now on the scene whose plugins are terrific and cheap, plus software upgrades dont cost !
For me there needs to be options just to upgrade a selection of your synths, because the way the upgrade model works at the moment i cant be bothered with it, plus there are better emulations out there for most these plugins now. so it’s making it less of an issue to keep upgrading.
Arturia… please have a think about your business model, loyal owners who have owned the product for nearly 20 years are dropping off, i for one have had enough for the moment.

2 Likes

This is just misinformation. If you don’t need the new instruments, or bloat as you call them, the simple answer is don’t upgrade. The instruments that your V Collection shares with VCX will continue to receive the same incremental upgrades and patches as those in VCX. Arturia don’t ‘not’ update your builds of the same instruments just because you haven’t purchased VCX.

It’s crazy how some people think this all works.

2 Likes

The instruments that your V Collection shares with VCX will continue to receive the same incremental upgrades and patches as those in VCX. Arturia don’t ‘not’ update your builds of the same instruments just because you haven’t purchased VCX.

Can you point us to the source where Arturia says this officially in writing?

I don’t think it’s crazy after contacting Arturia support. I asked specifically, “Do I get updates for my VC9 instruments if I don’t upgrade to VCX, and if so, for how long?”.

I just received the answer which was, “no you don’t”.

I’ll give the benefit of doubt that support person misunderstood my question because this would be ridiculous. So I’m asking them again. It takes them days to respond, so this will take a while.

In the meantime, can you back up your claim by pointing us to the source?

Hi @halo_nucleus,

Please read my posts here:

You will not find any official Arturia text about this afaik.

I understand if you for example don’t want the Augmented series. But it’s unfortunately not possible to upgrade without getting them.

Source no, but they’re literally the same builds. Arturia don’t keep different builds of current synths based on which VC you bought them in. Think about it. There are people out there who literally buy one or two of these synths individually: which version do think they get? Do they get yours, or do they get the so-called current version, or do they get a third different version made just for non-VC purchasers? Answer is, everyone gets the same build. It would be chaos otherwise!

Just to reassure you from personal experience…long before I upgraded to VC9, the instruments my VC8 shared with VC9 were being patched and upgraded. Of course I didn’t for example get the CS80 V4 because that was a VC9 instrument, but all the instruments that my VC8 shared with VC9 were still being patched to the current builds.

EDIT and if you’re still not sure I’m right, go to the downloads page: there’s just one build for every current instrument. Well, two technically: one for MacOS, one for Windows. But between them they’re the the same build we all get, irrespective of how we purchased the instrument: VC9 or earlier, VC10, or just as a standalone purchase.

@LBH,

Thanks for the info. This is quite helpful. Looking at the installed instruments, I see that when Arturia issues a new major version upgrade, the previous version is no longer updated, i.e. abandoned. Just wanted to know if this is officially stated anywhere.

BTW, I’m not saying if abandoning the previous version is right or wrong; that’s just something one should know when deciding not to upgrade VC or individual instruments. That’s why it would help to have it be clear.

@Jon_Vincent ,

I’ve owned various Arturia instruments for many years and VCollections since VC7. I have paid for and gone through upgrades on various instruments and VC. I don’t know why you think otherwise, but I’m aware that instruments in VC are the same as individual instruments purchased separately (duh).

The fact is, if I want all (not just some, but all) of my VC instruments to keep receiving updates, I have to upgrade VC. I bought VC as a package, and the package as a whole doesn’t stay up to date if I don’t upgrade.

I don’t think this is misinformation, which is why I asked you for a written source from Arturia.

To be clear, I’m fine with how Arturia (seems) to do upgrades, i.e. once V3->V4, abandon V3. It’s the “We’ll give you something extra so pay up or be left behind” model. That’s not that unreasonable, at least to me. I just wanted to see what Arturia said officially on this, which I guess they don’t/won’t.

I know Pigments is’nt in V-Collection. But as far as i recall, then all Pigments upgrades have been free up till now.

I don’t think you will get any informations about the future.

I think we’re possibly talking at odds with each other. And maybe that’s my fault for misunderstanding. I thought you were of the belief that any current instruments in your VC9 wouldn’t be patched and upgraded just because you hadn’t bought VC10.

‘Abandoned’ instruments (for want of another name)…yeah there are a few but because they’ve all been upgraded to 64-bit, I can’t think of any that don’t currently still work. For example I’m still quite fond of Spark 2 which came with VC4. It’s not been upgraded since the Dead Sea was on life-support, but it still works even on my M1 Mac. Arturia seem to be one of the absolute best out there in terms of not leaving you with legacy VSTs that no longer work on current OS’s.

<< The fact is, if I want all (not just some, but all ) of my VC instruments to keep receiving updates, I have to upgrade VC. I bought VC as a package, and the package as a whole doesn’t stay up to date if I don’t upgrade.>>

I think there will come a point where some of the really really old VSTs (such as the ARP2600 and Modular V) get replaced by newer versions in whichever V Collection is then current. Arturia have re-wrapped them in fresh clothing several times but underneath it’s still the same code. Yeah at that point I guess you won’t receive the new versions unless you buy them, and there will come a point where the legacy versions you own don’t receive updates. That seems fine with me. You (anyone) cannot expect to purchase something once and receive a lifetime of free upgrades until you die. It can’t work like that when the bottom line of businesses like Arturia is maybe 50% software sales and 50% hardware sales, and they rely on actually selling software to stay financially afloat. They’re not Apple who factor-in 7 years’ OS upgrades into the price of a new Mac, and then tell their customers that the OS upgrades are ‘free’.

I already have all the the new synth in collection X a part from one. So 50€ is already a lot f
or me…

I gave in today :grinning:

Was looking at the Minibrute V, then saw Arturia had given me an offer to upgrade from my V version 8, to V version X , plus the offer also included the Minibrute V, all for £249.

Very happy at that price and have just purchased it.

So if I have my usual luck, I fully expect them to announce a sale tomorrow where everyone else on V8 can upgrade to X for £125 :grinning:

Edit: It was €249 which worked out at £212, even better

3 Likes