I am still in the process of updating my patch collections. In an effort to make them as varied as possible, I am adding some Matrix 12V patches. I just spent a rather lovely hour creating some but realised two things.:
I am not as familiar with Matrix 12 as I would like to be and feel I am missing out on a lot as a result.
It looks so dated now when compared to Arturias newer offerings. The two effect available are pitiful when compared to say Jup8000V. It could really do with a little love being poured over it.
Of course, I like others, love new synths to be introduced but lets not forget the earlier offerings.
“Missing out” on a synth’s potential through stated lack of familiarity seems at odds with simultaneously finding it “dated” and in need of revision.
Not really. I can be unfamiliar with its workings but still want it updated in the effects section to further enhance it as more recent synths have been.
I watched a series of tutorials yesterday and understand its operation much better now.
To be honest, it doesn’t really need all the newer Functions etc as it has so many envelopes, LFOs , other modulation sources and a comprehensive modulation matrix. However, the addition of newer effects would be welcome.
I watch tutorials and I am still confused half the time with the “advanced” features of Arturia V synths. So now I’ve started watching tutorials on synthesis itself. FX I can sort of wrap my head around easily enough.
Arturia seem to be on a trajectory of rewriting at least one of their classic synths with every V Collection increment, along with adding new ones. So I guess Matrix 12 will eventually get its turn.
My unproven POV: I reckon Arturia struggle with the motivation to rewrite their legacy VSTs faster than they currently are doing, because too many self-entitled existing customers expect the rewrites for free. They pop up on here now and again like rectum boils, moaning about the fact they are being asked to pay for an update to a new version of a certain VST they’ve previously bought, even though the price is always discounted compared to the price new customers pay. Yet in their own real lives, presumably they expect to be paid for the work they do, but they can’t see their hypocracy.
I agree, they are on a trajectory to update the older synths. I cannot judge the accuracy of the synth engine so dont know if it warrants an update like Minimoog and CS80. Certainly the inclusion of the recently added effects would be welcome. I understand it can be difficult for developers to look back and rework existing projects when you have new exciting ones in front of you. I am not against paying for an update if it’s well done and reasonably priced. I see it as an investment for future projects and profit should not be seen as a dirty word.
I understand. However, the ability to save the effects as part of the patch as well as the ability to modulate them is valuable to me. I dont have any outboard gear, so upgraded effects would benefit me. You can continue to ignore them as usual.
FWIW, I agree with about the Matrix 12 V getting the next update. For me (granting, of course, that I know nothing about marketing), it’s kind of a no brainer as there is no competing offering that I know of that is in direct competition with Arturia’s version, but maybe that is exactly the point: why put effort into updating something that has no direct competition? Still, I’d wager that an update of the Matrix 12 V would be a very welcome addition for the electronic music community.
2 Likes
_Need help ?
When you can't find the answer online or in the product manual, the Technical Support Team is here!.
_Stay tuned
Follow us for the hottest sounds, fresh content, exclusive offers and Arturia news as it happens.