CS-80 V4 parameters mislabeled

In the latest CS-80 V4, version 4.2.1.3898, there are errors in the Lower Toolbar text, the built-in tutorials, and the manual (I’ve called it all “documentation” or “docs”). This obfuscates the purposes of some of the performance controls (to the left of the virtual keyboard). For a synth already as esoteric and fiddly as the CS-80, this is problematic.

1. The relationship between the yellow RELEASE slider and the SUSTAIN rocker switch is not documented in a useful way in any docs. The best explanation comes from the last available manual (4.0.1 — could use updating), page 70:

If the SUSTAIN toggle is off (up), then Release is always active, and can only be defeated if you set the RELEASE slider to 0. Switching the toggle down puts Release under the control of the footswitch.

Now, to me this is not enough description. This may just be semantics, but it is important because people will think the product is broken if the docs don’t explain the product! So, to expound upon this idea, we might lead with:

The SUSTAIN rocker chooses one of two behaviors:

• SUSTAIN up: the RELEASE slider will add an additional release phase to all notes. Depress the footswitch to indefinitely sustain played notes (identical function as the HOLD button).
  • SUSTAIN down: the RELEASE slider takes no effect on its own. Depress the footswitch to activate the additional release phase, in lieu of indefinite sustain.

Perhaps the nuance was lost in translation from the French — or again, maybe this comes down to semantics. But the docs are, to me, not clear about this relationship. Reading the CS-80 V2 manual (for some reason the V3 manual is not to be had online), it seems like CC64 only took effect with SUSTAIN down. I’m not familiar enough with the original hardware to care, but at the very least, changes between CS-80 V versions should be addressed.

1. The Lower Toolbar texts for rocker switches PORTA/GLISS and GLISSANDO are switched. The manual explains them well enough, and they have the FOOTSWITCH upper label, but I spent a not-inconsequential amount of time beforehand looking at the Lower Toolbar and flipping switches to figure out what was going on. Why do we have the Lower Toolbar if it’s not going to display useful information? On that note …

2. The Lower Toolbar text for the MODE rocker switch reads “Release Mode: Sets the release behaviour” — altogether too nebulous. The tutorial text describes the modes as “mono” and “poly”, which isn’t really what’s going on; it’s more like the Roland Juno series Poly modes. The original CS-80 manual calls this a SUSTAIN rocker as well, which somehow seems more intuitive than “release mode”, as the notes that are being sustained (by fingers or CC64) will continue being sustained while other voices have pseudo-mono last note or last chord priority. But I digress. At any rate, a Lower Toolbar text like “Release Mode: toggles normal release or last note(s) release” would’ve been clearer.

It seems to me, as a consumer, that Arturia does not strive for consistent, helpful product docs. My confusion with the CS-80 V4 controls reminds me why I don’t reach for Arturia’s more complicated synths as regularly as I would otherwise. (Also, no CS-80 V4 Multi Mode? Bad bad form.)

1 Like

Hi @msld_sound . Welcome to the community.

When the Sustain Switch is off then the pedal engage HOLD not Sustain. This is an added functionality in Arturias version (and requested by many i believe), as the original CS-80 did’nt have this feature.

The Mode switch have no effect, when the Sustain switch is OFF as Sustain is’nt engaged - Hold is.

Everything else work like in the original CS-80. In Sustain mode you will find the Mode Switch work.

So everything about this work correct.

I can agree the manual could be better.
EDIT: I btw also think tool tips should be relevant and describing. EDIT END

Many thanks for your response, @LBH. It’s a pleasure to see your continued presence on the new forum.

Correct, the footswitch HOLD function is not present on the hardware CS-80. And yes, everything else behaves as on the CS-80.

Hopefully it’s understood that my primary complaint re: the CS-80 V4 control section is that some of these parameters are very poorly documented — and two of them have their Lower Toolbar Text switched. That is not good at all.

1 Like

Kind of you @msld_sound.
Great you take time to report issues.

I think your primary complaint is clear and relevant. I just forgot to write about the lower toolbar at first.