Will there be new banks in tribute to groups or musicians?

I already have a Bank of the Genesis group but it is much closer to the period when Peter Gabriel was no longer part of it.
To tell the truth, it is certainly laziness or a little ease in finding the right parameters to find the sound of the 70s to 80s for progressive rock.
I suspect that many of the synthesizers, claviers that were used during this period in the 9 and X collection, like Yes, Kansas, Peter Gabriel, Gary Numan, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Allan Parson Project, Supertramp and many others.
Well, I will try to work on some sounds, but I promise you nothing for the final result, it could also be for me (or for you) a good exercise.
Musical Friendship.

1 Like
1 Like

Tony Banks played many synths (ARP, Prophet, Mellotron, Polymoog, CS-80, etc.) and keyboards (Hohner’s Pianet and RMI Electra, CP-70, Rhodes, Hammond, etc.). Pianoteq has a Pianet T and N (a mellower sound than the Rhodes).

You probably would like “Tony Banks - Five - Prelude To A Million Years” (on Youtube). It is a 2018 neo-classical piece for strings with melody and unconventional chord changes (une Ă©criture tonale tout en y ajoutant des Ă©lĂ©ments plus modernes au niveau harmonique, wikipedia). Banks enjoyed Shostakovich, Erik Satie, Mahler, early 20th century composers.

PĂ€rt, Gorecky, Glass, Tavener, Adams, Michael Nyman (music for The Piano movie), Zbigniew Preisner (Bleu, Blanc, Rouge), Gavin Bryars also had their neo-classical period.

1 Like

For in example Genesis and King Crimson used Mellotron for many Strings, Brass and Choir/ Voice sounds.
I would think you can come very close using the factory samples. Also check the factory presets.

Numan is known to use Poly and Minimoog. Arturias Solina V2 also have a Vox Humana. But afaik some have made useful replications with for example Jupiter-8.

For the Gabriel intro check out the sample used in Emulator V’s preset Shakuhachi.
Gabriel among other synths also used Prophet 5 in the 80’s.

Patrick Moraz who plays keys on yes Relayer album among other things used a speciel made Minimoog. He is also known to use a Filter pedal.
Yes alos used recordings to create effects in that album.
Patrich Moraz used lot’s of ARP synths an solo album i have and perhaps also on Relayer alongside Minimoogs.
The Strings on the Soon part of The Gates Of Delirium i believe is a Mellotron.

But perhaps you are just asking for soundpacks with the sounds?

1 Like

Hello and thank you @francoise for your precious musical references.

I have always been amazed by the atmosphere and the musical performance of Genesis.
It is true that like Roger Wright Tony Banks have stimulated my musical listening, although I am above all a guitarist at the base.

Today I work regularly on my Roland E-38 and my Midi keyboard and although cinematic orchestral music takes up a large part of my time in study my pleasure is to decipher by ear, to improvise on certain compositions and to familiarize myself with the modes and the tonality in a playful way.
So a similar sound allows me to be well settled on the melody and the accompaniment.

Friendship from France.

1 Like

Hello and thank you @LBH ,
it is also a great chance to have all these technical and musical references from you and to share them with us.
Yes of course it would be gratifying to have a preset that roughly defines the sound to use in a title, as it was at one time in a Claviers magazine the detail of the composition of a sound on certain Synthesizers like the dx7.
I must say that I lose my Latin a little when it comes to getting into the guts of a sound to program it, I too often go haphazardly and it is much more like tinkering.
I must also make the effort of a search but hey if a person much advanced in the field suggests as it is done in the sound banks then it saves us time.
I of course have food for thought for your judicious sharing.
Friendship from France.

Emulator V’s preset Shakuhachi: Song Peter Gabriel :Sledgehammer : 3ùme minute.

2 Likes

I think an important thing to consider for many older recordings is that they are more than the synth. I don’t mean the performer, but rather the recording and mixing process. While nowadays it seems like most music is “as direct as possible,” it’s just as likely that back then they piped the synth to an amp and then mic’d the amp. DI happened, of course, but only if it was the sound they were going for. Then, of course, the mixing process used tools of the time – a few FX, only a few tracks of tape, mixdowns, blah blah.

That’s not to say you can’t adopt a similar approach nowadays, even if you skip on the many annoyances that recording and mixing on tape would bring. But rarely is it down to a single patch to achieve the sounds you hear on such a recording.

1 Like

Hello @Eggy Toast and thank you for your intervention.

Of course, I suspect that there are many parameters that are not negligible and certainly very difficult to reproduce, such as making an analog recording on vinyl, a CD and a Wave or Mp3 file.

In addition i will never find the same sound pigmentation with a VST compared to a keyboard worthy of the name.

The only financial solution available to me is perhaps a small consolation, but I am not going to be picky.

It may seem naive or simplistic, but I also like to take advantage of the approximation when I play on a composition by one of these great groups and musicians, and it is easier for me to find the composition and musical suite, to be in some way in the sound.

And I understand your very pertinent analysis like all those that are presented to me here because it is both for pleasure and to acquire more ease in playing spontaneously.

Thank you in any case for taking the time to give your opinion.

Friendship from France.

Is there a list anywhere on here or one someone has created that lists songs and artists and the present/emulator say for the V Collection X? I have figured a bunch out on my own by playing around but was curious if there was already a list. I have also found a few on YouTube.

1 Like

Would definitely love to have KISS! The guitars (Les Paul lead, Ibanez Rhythm) and Eric Carr’s heavy drums (as done in Creatures of the Night album). THAT would be awesome!

1 Like

Don’t forget the ‘Loon Garden’ and stream samples too, much loved by 808State and just about every italo house track in the 90’s :wink:

1 Like

Hi,
A few months ago, I found on YouTube a musician Davide Puxeddu who offers us the listening of his best presets on Analog Lab as well as a lot of synthesizers at Arturia.

For those who wish to have a broader and more accurate vision of each of these sounds.

Happy listening.

A BIG +1 for Davide!
He’s a great guy and a SUPERB musician too!!!

DEFINITELY sub to his YouTube channel!

1 Like