What you like the next iteration of Freak "Series" to look like?

I love the MiniFreak Synthesiser but have wonder what would it could be if the original concept was upgraded.
I would personally love to have synth something like this:
2 layer synth with each layer being the MiniFreak Synth Engine (2 OSC, Filter [maybe filter adsr?], ADSR , arpeggiator)
4 LFOs
Customizable Vibrato LFO
Polyphony of 10
4 Marcos
Larger Mod Matrix e.g. having Aftertouch/ Velocity separated.
What’s other people’s opinions on this idea?

1 Like

My dream about “Megafreak“…and then the alarm clock rang :laughing:
Everything what Minifreak has plus:
• 12 Voice polyphony
• Suboscillator with switch between triangle or square sub
• Noise generator (white and pink noise)
• Analog filter 12dB and 24dB mode
• Filter drive knob (pre filter saturation)
• 2x ADSR Envelope (for VCA and VCF)
• 8 GB Memory for user multisamples and wavetables
• 128 steps (8 bars) sequencer
• Add new Shimmer Reverb and BBD Delay in FX section
• 512 factory and 512 user preset slots

2 Likes

I love to 20 voice Polyphony with Poly aftertouch keyboard
Bigger mod martix e.g. more pages
2 synth layers:

• 4 Oscillators —> 2 per layer with separate
  • ADSR (10 vocies for each layer)
  • Steiner-parker Filter for each layer
  • Arpeggiator for each layer

4 LFOs
Customizable Vibrato LFOs
Maybe have Analogue Multi-Mode filter for each layer
Noise Generator
Sequencer

Yeah it’s very nice dream, but we have to understand one crucial thing. Freak series are not virtual analog, therefore there’s not matematicaly modeled filters, but true analog VCF’s . And every single voice has own VCF filter and own VCA circuit. That’s why real analog polysynthesizers are so expensive :laughing: So, if we don’t want Megafreak with cost 3500 € we have to moderate our demands (dreams) :blush:
One thing…(you probably know that), you have already customizable vibrato LFO in Minifreak, do you? Use Shaper to create LFO with customized shape (you can even save 8 user shapes) and add it in MOD Matrix to Pitch.

Maybe My dream can for the PolyFreak.

Hello !

I’m dreaming about a “Maxifreak” with big keys (at least 49 keys) and polyaftertouch.
Another improvement for this synth would be a separate enveloppe for the analog filter.
And crazy speed LFO ! (like korg monologue for example)

Please Arturia make my dream come true ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, and above all a working firmware, and not as buggy as the currently available 2.0.0.1478 in the current device.

Trying to be realistic (let’s say 1k€ price tag) I’d love:

• real size keybed (49 at least) with aftertouch
  • 8 voice polyphony
  • keep the two oscillators architecture but with individual adsr per oscilator and “oscillator FX” (frog, phaser, comb filter …) per oscillator. that would be NEAT.
  • Two cycling envelopes with adjustable curves on the envelope mode
  • An expanded mod matrix with more pre-set OSC 1 & 2 destinations and separate velocity and aftertouch sources.

I might be ok on losing the analog filter for the extended polyphony and use a dual digital filter (again one for each oscillator would be neat) and move the analog section of the synth to a killer BBD delay/chorus/phaser/flanger FX, and analog DRIVE section… or just an analog drive section but with split band possibilities.

Drumfreak!

Hi there, I joined the forum specifically to contribute to this topic. I currently use a MiniFreak as my “hybrid poly” synth - digital oscs (with strong wavetable and FM) with analog filters. If there were to ever be a “maxifreak/macrofreak/megafreak/etc” (I’m sure the marketing department has ran through all of those), I would appreciate the following, so I could upgrade from my MiniFreak to this:

12 Voice, 4 Part, 2 pairs of stereo outputs

3 Osc per voice (+1 Osc compared to Minifreak)

Oscs labelled 1a, 1b and 2

Osc 2 can process Osc 1a, 1b or both simultaneously (there’s a routing switch)

1 additional filter: a classic 4p LP analog filter (either SSI or Curtis) positioned in the signal path after the multimode filter

3 LFOs per voice (+1 LFO compared to Minifreak)

2 Full Envelopes per voice (+1 Envelope compared to Minifreak)

Expanded Mod Matrix

Each Part can be directed to either set of stereo outputs and panned at any distance between Hard L and Hard R.

Otherwise identical to Minifreak in every way.

Fully backwards-compatible with Minifreak patches (can load up to four of them at once)

Can be controlled via a new version of the Minifreak V plugin (make the plugin inclusive of a Megafreak editor, but keep the plugin’s synth engine identical to the Minifreak).

Oh, and please keep the form factor relatively compact. Nothing larger than a 3-octave full-size keyboard, and I’d also welcome a rack/desktop format (or variant).