Using KeyStep 37 with Analog Lab / Pigments with USB Clock Switch

Before jumping into Ableton Live, I like to open Analog Lab or Pigments to audition some sounds and play around to generate ideas. I love using the chord, sequencer and arpeggio functions on the KeyStep 37, so here is where a unique issue popped up…

It doesn’t appear that Analog Lab or Pigments sync their tempos over USB/MIDI with the KeyStep 37 (unless I’m mistaken?).

No problem, I can update the clock dip switches to Internal then control the tempo/rate directly on the hardware. However, when I switch to using Ableton Live, I have to shut down the KeyStep 37, update the dip switches to USB, then I’m ready to go.

I know this is a champagne problem, but the process of powering off and switching the dip switches can be a real pain, especially if it is done frequently!

So, I was thinking—what if I just leave the clock dip switches to USB, and run a program to set the tempo while I use Analog Lab or Pigments so I can use the SEQ and ARP functions?

After some research I found some solutions.

I found a Python script that is wrapped in a simple UI/UX that starts a MIDI tempo and can send it to the KeyStep 37. IT is called MidiClock and can be found here:

I also created a Python script (for those who do not mind using the terminal):

Anyway! I just thought I’d share in case anyone else was experiencing the same issue!

Happy exploring!

1 Like

HI @R89 and welcome to The Sound Explorers Forum.

I have to admit that it’s not a problem i have myself, i have a few different input devices which are configured for different purposes, but i can certainly appreciate your own situation and that it might affect others also.
So, many thanks for that!
I’m sure some people will find that rather useful.

ps,
Please make sure to subscribe to our Newsletter to be the first to know about the latest from Arturia.

1 Like

FWIW, I just updated my custom script to be a bit more user-friendly. You can run it on it’s own and it will have a nice prompt for updating the tempo, etc.

Here’s to a great 2024!