Sit or stand?

Hi everyone,

I got my PolyBrute a couple weeks ago and love it. I’m still just scraping the surface but finding wonderful stuff wherever I look.

I use it in a small home studio with some other keyboards nearby and am trying to find a strategy to keep my back from hurting after a couple hours of work. Right now I’m using a piano bench and have the keyboards all at a good height for that. I’m considering standing up instead of sitting, or sitting on something better than my piano bench.

So, do you sit or stand at your rig? Do you have a favorite chair/throne/bench? Let us know!

Jim

2 Likes

Hey @Kretzpah we’re glad to see you here!

This is actually an important question that will play an important roll in the long run.

IMHO I would say that for long time sessions of composition and or recording sessions you’ll need a nice ergonomic chair, it is also recommended to stand up from time to time or just take some time off to go for a walk, it will help your circulation and it may bring some extra energy :zap:

We can’t wait to listen your creations using the PolyBrute!

Let’s keep exploring :musical_keyboard:

Yes—sometimes getting away from the instrument really frees up your imagination. And I just freed up my back by ordering a roc-n-soc throne with a back rest! Thanks for your thoughts

1 Like

Hi,

I would say lot’s of things can be done standing, and some performance things can even be done better when done standing.

Certain piano and organ performances i would use a Piano bench or similar for.

A more supporting and comfortable chair can be used when mixing, and perhaps for some performances not involving too difficult playing but perhaps controller tweaking. Also such a chair can be used when doing sound design and some composition depending on how you compose.

No doubt that standing whenever possible can be very good for the health too.
Excercising, weight training and eating good food is in generel good both for body, heart and brain. It can also help when sitting down - and when going on for longer sessions and being creative, if one is in good shape.

Hope you will be happy with your new chair.

3 Likes

Classically trained keyboardist here. I never liked sitting and playing and now that I’m finished with school, I prefer standing. Neither method is wrong as long as you use proper technique to facilitate good dynamics and expressive play (and to avoid hand injuries, of course).

My MiniFreak is on the 2nd tier (just under the RC-505).

An added benefit of this setup is that it keeps me from getting GAS. Basically, if it doesn’t fit on this pair of x-stands, I don’t need it. This rig is also relatively easy to pack up and carry around.

Kind of off the original topic but, I use Decksavers which I find to be way better than a bunch of individual cases. Snap it on, wrap it in a towel and secure with a stretchy velcro strap, then slide it in a hard sided suitcase. I can fit everything on these stands (including cables, mixers, etc.), in a single medium sized rolling suitcase. The P121 and x-stands obviously have to be carried separately. Decksaver recently produced one for the MiniFreak and it’s a perfect fit.

1 Like

Ha—you’re taller than me! But I like the layout. Everything looks easy to get to.

1 Like

There’s a Digitakt (the heartbeat of my rig), hidden behind the Reface CP on the bottom tier. I use a Sipario X midi router to do splits and layers on the Yamaha P121 (MiniFreak bass in the LH and CP Wurly or Rhodes in the right).

The MiniFreak got added last year as soon as it came out. It was my 1st hardware synth and is definitely a keeper. I don’t even look at other synths.

FWIW, I’m 5 foot 9 inches tall. The RC-505 screen is a bit difficult to see but I’m so comfortable using it that it’s not a problem.

As you observed, everything is easy to get to and I like being able to move side to side and in / out on the keys with the P121. The added benefit is that I never get butt hurt playing piano.

2 Likes

I stand. The Polybrute rests on a K&M Omega stand so that I can put MIDI foot controllers underneath it without any obstructions. I have also mounted my Chapman Stick on a microphone stand, so it’s easy to go from one instrument to the other – or to play them both at the same time.

1 Like

Just to echo the great advice given above.
Take regular breaks, ok can be tricky in a live gig situation, stand as often as possible, helps keep the spine in good shape.
Eat healthily, develop good posture etc
All helps to make sure you’re able to continue making music as long as possible. :grin:

2 Likes

I like to stand at the MIDI controller and sit when working at the DAW. It’s an adjustable desk chair, I can’t really recommend any chair as I kind of dislike most of them for long hours.

3 Likes

I like to use an adjustable desk chair, but sometimes I stand up to play for a while.

2 Likes

I have an adjustable chair at the computer but it wasn’t adjustable enough for me at the keyboards. I ended up getting a Roc n Soc throne with a backrest. So far it’s working well with much less back strain.

1 Like

@Kretzpah
Your problem is two-fold ,

1. you need to find a chair that properly supports your loin in the right way and the right place so that you (at the right height) gets to sit in the right upright position.
  2. Then also you need to have a lot of focus on not slouching on the chair so that you keep the position that is best for your back.

Then , also , if you got back problems (as do I) then you need to start doing the proper ‘yoga’ exercises to both stretch and strengthen your back in the right way… However , both this is beyond this topic and also you need some proper guidance if you are not skilled yourself.
Absolute worst things inducing back problems are (excluding ‘medical conditions’) :
a) poor chair and poor bed
b) slouching
c) laziness (makes you not take care of yourself properly)

P.S.
Sorry , were responding to your initial post and had not seen your final post in which you indeed appear to have the problem nailed !

2 Likes