Possible to link two 16rig together / Controlling mulitple Speaker outputs with volume knob

Hi Community. I have two questions.

1. The Audiofuse 16 rig looks like a great piece. I’m wondering if it’s possible to link two 16 rig together with one unit as a master and the other as an expander: 32 in/20 out sounds perfect to me.

2. If I was to use the outputs for a 5.1 set up, can I assign the specific outputs to be controlled by the volume knob…leaving the other outputs (like to a compressor) unaffected.

Thanks for your input.

Archetype

1 Like

I want to know the same thing. Please let us know!

I can see why Arturia went the X8 route…cheaper to manufacture and no wasted cost for users who just want/need extra inputs OR extra outputs.

That said, I would like to see an X16 unit with 8in/8out in a single full size rack unit with only one power supply and using some kind of interconnect between units like utilizing the rear like the USB2 hub port. No need for ADAT connectors just a USB out that gets connected to the USB 2 hub on the back of the 16rig. The desktop software just sees both units as a single unit. No configuration. With such a clean back of the unit, it could go up to an X32 with 16 in and 16 out 1/4" jacks and one USB 2 hub out (plus power). That would be sweet.

1 Like

Hi,
you are correct, Arturia designed the X8 modules as I/O expanders for the 16Rig (but they also work with any other ADAT compatible device).
The X8 format half-rack format is more flexible than a fixed X16 (8in/8out) format.

With an AudioFuse 16Rig and two X8 In units (which can be attached together as a 1U rack expander), you get 32 line inputs seen as a single unit, and 12 outputs.

You can use 6 of the individual outputs as a 5.1 setup, but the volume knob only controls the stereo Monitor outputs. The level control of those 6 outputs would be done inside your DAW (you could set them up as a 6-channel buss and control them with 1 master buss fader).

Hey Sean.

Thanks for the quick reply. Everything you said make sense, thanks. Another question I have is; can a 16rig be expanded by connecting a second 16rig using the rear USB hubs on the back of the units? Will that arrangement be seen as a single unit?

Thanks

Unfortunately, no. You can’t “daisy-chain” 2 x AF16Rig and have them seen as a single unit.