[possible Bug?] Effects of existing (!) presets messed up after Update to 5.0

Before I go into detail I have to state that I use Debian on my Laptop. Therefor I use Virtualbox with Windows 10 as a guest.
This configuration makes the connection over USB to the Minifreak a little unstable. So maybe my problem just results from that unstable connection and a faulty update-process.

Here the problem:
After updating the Minifreak Hardware to 5.0 some older presets are not sounding at all.

An example is a pad preset named “Flickers” from Matt Pike.
Before the update that preset sounded good.
After the update it was no sound at all on the hardware and on MinifreakV as well.

It looks like the effects are messed up after the update. In that preset the FX1 changed to “Vocoder (Ext)”. FX2 set to “Distortion” (was “Delay” before I think). FX3 is correct “Phaser”.

I noticed that in MinifreakV and the hardware Minifreak there is a different order of the effects - the effect “SuperUnison” is 3rd last in V and in hardware its 2nd in the list. Maybe there lays a problem…

Also I noticed that if I initialise a preset with a long press of the preset encoder the preset says Init but is not sounding at all if an active vocoder-effect was present before… That also is strange.

[Update from 23rd September 2026]:
I have to add, that I am pretty sure there is a bug in V 5.0 which messes up the effects of the existing presets!
It seems that the MinifreakV is changing some kind of internal list during the update, what leads to wrong assignments of some effects in the updated version.

[Update from 27th September 2026]:
Now after going back and forth between V 4.0.1 and V 5.0 two more times, I am not so sure anymore if this bug exists in firmware as I described it here.
The reason is, that now the problem disappeared. It would be good if more users could ay something about it here in this thread…

→ For me it looks like the root of the problem may be that there is no real good firmware-update-path on LINUX! The workarounds with virtual machines or wine are not good enough.

Same happened to me, but fine when reloaded a back up I’d done before updating, just make sure you back up before updating Minifreak V to V 5.0

1 Like