Minilab 3 without computer?

Hey there:)
it may sound strange but could I run the miniLab3 (temporarily) without a computer? To be specific: could I power it via USB from a power supply in a wall socket? if so, what are the specs/voltage I’d need, since I can’t find anything on the minilab’s power needs.
Also, in that same scenario, could I connect it to speakers via jack connection, i.e. jack to jack (via “control” out), or midi to jack? or would I need midi speakers, thus midi to midi?
Hope I could make mayself clear^^
Thanks so much in advance:)

Yes, you can use the MiniLab 3 without a computer, powered by USB. The manual doesn’t say much about the power specs, just “highly efficient; can even be powered from an iPad”, so I suspect that any ordinary USB charger will do. I just tested mine with a 5V 3A max multi-port USB wall charger, with the MIDI connected to a Volca Bass. Everything worked fine.

To be clear, the MiniLab is only a MIDI controller and does not produce audio on its own. It needs to be connected with a MIDI cable to a desktop synth, sampler, or something else that produces audio. The control port is an input for a pedal, not an audio output. MIDI speakers don’t exist—MIDI is a control protocol, not an audio format. It just sends messages such as that a particular key has been pressed or released, or that a knob is turning. It’s up to the receiving device how to interpret those messages and produce audio.

1 Like

wow, thanks so much for the fast and comprehensive reply @tmoore :))
so did I get you correctly, there’s no use in only connecting speakers to the minilab3, since it only controlls, not produces sound? so without any additional hardware (i.e. pc, synth, sampler, etc) there will be no sound coming out of that speaker?

1 Like

No problem!

Exactly right. Even though the control jack is the same type of jack that you might find on a speaker or a synth, it isn’t meant for audio and shouldn’t be connected to a speaker. It’s for use with things like sustain pedals, foot switches, and expression pedals such as the Yamaha FC5 or many other similar ones.

1 Like

For even more clarity, literally all the ‘Lab’ keyboards are midi controllers which need to be plugged into a computer or tablet. They have no audio capability of their own.

1 Like

appreciate the answers, thank you guys very much:)

1 Like