Minilab 3 aftertouch on drum pads - advice needed

Hi all, I’ve had a good look for some advice online, but can’t seem to find what I’m after.

I know that the pads on the Minilab 3 have aftertouch, and I can see the value parameters change on the unit as I use it.
Can anyone give me any practical advice on how to use this?

As most of you will know, in the MIDI control centre there are the options to:

1. Send Note info, where the value can be adjusted.
  2. Send CC info, where it seems to only toggle values between 0-127.
    and the other HUI/PC options.
    … but I can’t seem to assign a pad a note parameter and a CC number at the same time in order to assign a control to it in my software.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Aftertouch is its own type of MIDI message. You’ll need to set the pads to send notes and use an instrument that allows you to assign aftertouch to the parameter you want to modulate.

HI @brendamnfine and welcome to The Sound Explorers Forum!

As @tmoore states, Aftertouch is a type of MIDI message by itself.

It might be worth having a bit of a read up on MIDI and its functionality here… https://midi.org/specs It’s well worth spending a bit of time getting to know it before you dive in.

HTH!

Thank you. So ultimately the issue will be with the plugin/software/hardware instrument I’m trying to control, as there seems to be no parameter for aftertouch that I can assign in the ones I’m currently toying with.

Do you have any suggestions for anything that responds to these aftertouch messages? I’m just trying to find a starting point here, and really its just for my own curiousity. haha

If you are using a DAW it MIGHT have a ‘MIDI transformer’ type plugin, Cubase Pro has one which can be used to route one type of CC etc to another… That might be worth a look.
Or possibly copy data from one controller lane to another?

HTH!