Looking for Roland D-50 equivalents

Hey! Sorry to borrow the thread, but I am on a similar quest. I’m interested in that uncanny 90’s/00s digital synth sound, and I was kinda hoping someone would have made basically Diva but for this sound. King of Digital looks really close to that. What is the quick fix that allows this to run on MacOS? I would snap this up if I can make it work in Logic, but it shows in the Mac App store as greyed out… (I don’t yet have an iPad, but can access it on iPhone)

OP, I’m also wary of Roland Cloud. I have just heard too many horror stories of stuff not working - and I run Native Instruments plugins! The Reaktor G-50 is quite nice, but Reaktor is on life support at this point, so I tend not to invest too much time there.

@Jon_Vincent is right that the rights will be a problem. I’ve been using UVI’s Sonic Pass to get a sense of their way of doing it, and I have to say it’s pretty good all things considered. All their Roland stuff is heavily disguised (eg: DS 90s and RLD), but the big difference to a straight emulation is that they don’t use any of the original patches. Instead they sample the original and make their own. This seems similar to the King of Digital approach in that it sounds like the originals in spirit, but just not the exact sounds. Their Synth Anthology has a mixed bag of presets, but also contains raw samples that you can layer to come up with your own uncanny 90s style sounds.

In many ways, the UVI stuff really does scratch the itch and since they basically give away Digital Synstations (currently on sale at JRR Shop for $16.79 with coupon GROUP, sometimes given away free) this might be the best deal in town, compared to looking at exact emulations. But I’m very intrigued to try King of Digital for sure too.

The “trick” is specific to Logic Pro: Check the box to use it anyway.

Ahhhh thankyou. I literally just picked Logic up, switching from Ableton (so forgive the noob query). Am I right to assume that you check it on in plugin manager?

Right. In the list, there’s a checkbox.

Brilliant, thankyou - I’ll give it a go.

Th D-50s thing was all about recorded transients, but used an analogue engine to synthesize the tails.

In theory you could achieve something similar thing yourself in Pigments. It might be worthwhile chasing up what those transients were and what quality they were sampled at. You may even find samples of these floating around the web somewhere.

It wont be the same, but should give you something close to the right vibe.