KeyLab mk3 + Ableton Live 12 - Arturia app control not working

I can’t get the Arturia applications (VSTs) to display on my KeyLab 61 mk3 within Ableton Live 12 (12.0.25 and 12.1 beta). I switch from DAW mode to Arturia mode, load any Arturia VST e. g. Analog Lab, but the screen on the KeyLab doesn’t show the graphics for the VST and stays on the initial screen with Button 1, 2, 3, 4. KeyLab mk3 is selected in the MIDI Settings of the VST.

Any clues?

It’s working totally fine as expected in Live 11, Bitwig and Cubase, just not in Live 12, which seems odd.

I have the same issue…

1 Like

Hi I have the same issue with live 12. Working in Daw mode but no display of arturia Plugins on screen

@Monkeykong and @bM3w
I’m in contact with the support to find a solution.

Re-Installing of Arturia Analog Lab, KL MK3 Firmware nor Live solved the problem at my end.
I tried as well how it works with Live 11 or Live Lite, but no difference to Live 12.0.25.
In standalone mode everything is working as expected.

That’s annoying. Mine only arrived today. I’ve tried on two different macs, updated the firmware.

I wonder if anyone has it working with Abelton 12.

Fingers crossed they can find a solution.

Interesting. I’m on Windows 11, so obviously the bug is present across platforms. Also, I watched one of those Keylab MK3 videos from a few days ago and they had it working in Ableton 12.

[Edit] Here’s the video:

1 Like
  1. Have you got the Arturia Midi Control Center installed?
  2. You might get more help from Ableton. I had a problem with my Mk ii and Arturia support was all about cables & hubs, when the problem was in fact with the config in Live.

I’m running Ableton Live 11 Suite on Windows 11 and have been experiencing this same issue. The instrument is not visualized on the Keylab Mk3’s screen. I submitted a support ticket, but haven’t received a response yet. After watching this and other tutorials and changing the settings in Live, this seems increasingly like an Arturia software bug, not an issue with Live.

I now got it to partially work in Live 12.0.25 and 12.1 beta, but it’s only a temporary solution and I still think it’s a bug.

1. after launching Live, go to Live’s Settings > Link, Tempo & MIDI
  2. uncheck all boxes for Input Ports KeyLab xx mk3 MIDI and KeyLab_mk3 Input (KeyLab xx mk3 DAW)
  3. uncheck all boxes for Output Ports KeyLab xx mk3 MIDI and KeyLab_mk3 Output (KeyLab xx mk3 DAW)
  4. close Settings and load any Arturia VST e.g. Analog Lab into a MIDI track
  5. you should already see the graphics for the VST on your KeyLab display
  6. go back to Live’s Settings > Link, Tempo & MIDI
  7. check Input Port and Output Port boxes for KeyLab xx mk3 MIDI only
  8. close Settings

It still acts funky and switching to another VST sometimes won’t show the corresponding Arturia app on the KeyLab display. Working with multiple tracks is also hit and miss.

Not sure who’s to blame here, Arturia or Ableton, but one of them has some work to do as the function is obviously broken.

Here are the screenshots of the unchecked/checked boxes:

Oh, and restarting Live means going through the whole process again!

2 Likes

Hi,
Same problem here with W11 + Cubase 13 (got it to work yesterday, but then at some point it stopped working), and could never get it to work with VST Live 2.1.4.

I noticed in a MIDI monitor that when you set your global MIDI channel to a specific value different than 1, and/or do that at Part level, the note on / note off messages are sent on that specific channel, but the CC messages related to the rotaries and faders remain on ch 1.
This seems quite strange, don’t you think ?

Here is what I learned based on my issue with Live 12 and after being in touch with the support and it will at least fix the issue for moment.

You can try this, it may help in your case as well:

1. The problem seems to appear when any output in the MIDI settings is chosen/checked.
    Root cause however, unknown for the time being.

2. A short term corrective action is to reset Live, see instructions here Reset Live

3. After the reset, it is important to not again check any output boxes. This is setting must be applied:

4. After this the integration should work and the Analog Lab / Arturia VST instrument is shown on the screen.

As well I learned that several Analog Lab instances can be used and integration will work.
However, if a another or several Arturia VST instruments is/are loaded (e.g. Augumented Strings), it will not be integrated and shown on the screen. Only Analog Lab will work as integrated instance. Same if you choose a VST instruments and add a new one. Only the first instance will be integrated.
I would expect that this is possible and hope Arturia will improve this matter.

1 Like

Yeah, this is mostly the same settings as shown in my previous workaround post. Support got back to me as well with the above solution and keeping at least the KeyLab Output ports unchecked seem to work a bit more reliable. However, depending on anyone’s setup, you may want to check other Output ports for controlling external gear.

Keeping the Output ports unchecked also have the advantage of Arturia mode still working when you close and relaunch Live.

Yet replacing one Arturia VST with another occasionaly breaks Arturia mode and KeyLab won’t show the extended mode. I guess something is still broken somewhere, be it in Live, the controller script or KeyLab’s firmware.

Thanks. This works.
(Must keep en eye on this in updates)

Your suggestions are pretty consistent with the instructions I received from Arturia’s tech support, Simon. Unfortunately, in my case, this has not resolved the issues running Arturia’s vst3 instruments on Windows 11 home with Ableton Live 12 Suite on an Asus Zenbook with 16 GB RAM. After deinstalling / reinstalling all Arturia software (Keylab 49 mk3 bundle and Midi Control Center) several times, I still can’t get Analog Lab mode working consistently with the Keylab mk3 controller. The controller works as far as navigating between tracks and playing an instantiated Arturia plugin, but no other features, including Analog Lab mode, or even basic parameter mapping (e.g. to Push2) functions properly. My latest annoyance is that no matter how many times I reinstall Midi Control Center, it crashes. I have the newest version installed. All of which only reinforces my judgment that Arturia software–particularly the Vst3 plugins–is just not stable on a Windows machine. I love the look and feel of the Keylab mk3 and think that the standalone and Analog Lab mode performance is wonderful–when it works. It’s just not at all reliable in my experience. If you or anyone here has any advice–save repeating the previously posted “fixes”–I’d be interested to hear it. Otherwise, my Keylab mk3 is about to be returned to Sweetwater…

I received my KL3 61 today and ran in the same issues (Live 12.b14).
With the Midi settings as shown in the screenshot, the first Arturia VST loaded is working as expected, all other can be controlled by the KL3, but the display only shows the first VST and no parameter values of any knob or slider are displayed when I touch them.

Quite disappointing that a product at this price is so buggy, especially concerning the bug is related to one of its most prominent features.

After reading all comments of this thread, it seems to be a problem that can easily be reproduced on any Live 11 or 12 system simply by loading more than one Arturia VST.
Hard to imagine, that they (Arturia) didn’t test this.

I hope they will provide a fix soon!

Hi all,

I don’t use Ableton Live. But should’nt the control surface setup section also contain a Keyboard midi setup beside the DAW setup? Not just in the ports section.
I think the Keyboard Midi setup only shall be connected as input device.

I just made some additional tests and found out that as long as you are using the same plugin (like Analog Lab or Pigments) on all tracks, everything works fine and you can have a number of tracks with (the same) Arturia plugin.
Any additional different plugin will not work correctly in ‘Arturia-Mode’.

Not sure why, but the manual says to just use the DAW setup.
Tried with MIDI anyways, but that doesn’t change the issue but seems to cause some other weird behavior, so I swtched back to the above.

In the video, he also uses just one single plugin at a time. That should work without any problems with the correct Midi-settings (see sceenshots in my other posting).