Keylab MK2 MIDI Remote For Cubase 12

Hi, I have posted this as well to the previous (legacy) forum, but for new users it’s probably better to repost here.

It’s about the Keylab MK2 (all versions) and an implementation for Cubase 12, using Steinberg’s MIDI Remote API.

While out of the box, the Keylab offers a pretty good implementation using the Mackie protocol, I’ve made this script-expansion in order to be more close to my personal workflow, which is based on less keyboard/mouse actions and more on using the controller on its own.

This script covers apart from the obvious transport controls and mixer, a series of other important elements:

• Focused Quick Controls
  • Instrument Quick Controls
  • Pregain (Input Filter)
  • Equalizer
  • Insert effects
  • Channel Strip (Gate, Compressor, Tools, Saturation and Limiter)
  • Send Effects
  • Three sets of DAW commands

The script and instructions for installing, can be found in a dedicated wiki thread in Steinberg’s forum, here:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/arturia-keylab-mk2-custom-midi-remote-script-mkii/847677/1

A small video demonstrating some of what is being handled (we can see it on our controller’s display) is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lIC_yRhOY

1 Like

Hey @m.c we’re glad to see you here!

Thanks for sharing your workflow improvement with the community!
I agree with you that new users will appreciate it a lot :metal:

Keep exploring :zap:

1 Like

Thank you! Your work has stopped me from returning my new Keylab MkII. Very grateful for your hard work and long term investment in getting the Keylab working as it should with Cubase. It’s a real work of art!

Shame on Arturia for not doing so themselves. They really did half a job. Integration is vital in a controller and it shouldn’t have to be the work of an enthusiast to get it working properly for users.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words!

Well, I would agree with this, but there is a detail: The new MIDI Remote API by Steinberg was released with Cubase 12 in 2022. Now, the Keylab MK2 was released around 2018 if I remember correctly, and it did have a part of the MCU implementation. Most users are quite happy with transport buttons and basic mixer functionality, so I wouldn’t really put the blame on them for providing exactly this. At the end of the day, providing updates when a real change in a DAW occurs, after 4 years, perhaps is out of their schedule. I did notice that they (Arturia) created a script for their new Essential MK3. But even this one follows the logic described previously and covers the majority (?) of users. So most probably they concluded that there was not a real reason to turn to the MIDI remote and publish a script for the MK2.
I have a group of friends who use the MK2 with my script. What I noticed? They are 7, and only 2 of them really use my script to a decent extent. So, again, I’m not sure I could blame Arturia for their point of view on what a DAW integration should offer :slight_smile:

They were happy to take full price for the keyboard (in fact, according to a review from SOS in 2019, the price was $449US, Arturia’s web site says that now its $574US). Maybe if they don’t want to support it after 4 years, they can start discounting accordingly. And maybe its pointless to buy something built to last, if the software isn’t going to.

The issue I have is that they imply great integration with the inclusion of dedicated labeling and marketing, and they haven’t followed through. I appreciate that I have bought this at the end of the product cycle, but even on the last day of support, it should be supported.

In any event, you came to the rescue with an awesome script which has really saved it for me. I like the build quality of the keyboard mostly and do think that it represents excellent value in terms of hardware.

1 Like