Impact of Leslie on the sound volume

Hello everybody,
I am running B-3 V2 in the VST host Gig Performer. I have a simple preset with the 3 lower bars at full, the others at 0. No percussion, no chorus/vibrato. And only Leslie and Reverb.
When I have the Leslie on, the volume decreases as I go down the keyboard.
Is it normal?
Thanks,
Pierre

Hi,

Perhaps it’s about the setting of the Leslies Balance control parameter?

In addition to what LBH has rightly said, If you change the type of cabinet you’re using then you’ll notice a different frequency response for each one, some are greater than others. (just checked this on my own system).
You’re likely to experience phase cancellation to some degree with a processor like a Leslie.
If you have a Goniometer or Phase Correlation meter, then you can check this visually too. Also, try collapsing your mix to mono and see if the ‘quietening’ is more pronounced.
So, as LBH suggests, maybe tweak the settings of the Leslie further.

HTH!

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. I was able to get a better rendering of the lower keys using your suggestions.

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. When using the B-3 V2 in Gig Performer with your described preset, the volume decreasing as you go down the keyboard while the Leslie effect is on is not entirely abnormal. The B-3 organ is known for its unique characteristics, and this behavior could be a result of how the Leslie effect interacts with the organ’s tone generation.

However, there are a few factors to consider and steps you can take to address this issue:

1. Key Range Settings: Check if there are any key range settings in the B-3 V2 or Gig Performer that might be affecting the volume. Some instruments and plugins allow you to adjust volume or other parameters based on the key range, which could lead to the observed behavior.
  2. Leslie Parameters: Experiment with the Leslie effect parameters. The Leslie speaker emulation might have settings that affect the volume balance across the keyboard. Adjusting the Leslie speed, acceleration, or other related parameters could help mitigate the volume variation.
  3. EQ and Compression: Consider using EQ and compression within Gig Performer to balance the volume across the keyboard. This could help even out any noticeable volume differences caused by the Leslie effect.
  4. Velocity Sensitivity: Some organ simulations are velocity-sensitive, meaning that the volume or tone of the sound can change based on how hard you play the keys. Check if the B-3 V2 has any velocity sensitivity settings that could be impacting the volume response.
  5. Contact Support: If you’ve tried these steps and the issue persists, you might want to contact the support teams for both Gig Performer and B-3 V2. They may be able to provide more specific guidance or updates related to your setup.

Remember that some volume variation can be inherent to the nature of organ sounds and Leslie speaker effects. It’s important to find a balance that works for your musical context and preferences.

Best regards,
pablo

1 Like

Thanks @pablozapata and welcome to the new forum :grinning: