How to map the faders to macros in Ableton?

@grrrzzzt I will give it a try… Let’s see. I know it s a design choice but would have been more useful to just have a user preset where you can easily address all the control knobs and faders like with the push or the Akai products…
How does it work with the minilab 2 as it has all knobs? Are they easy to address? Thanks for your tips and explanation! best!

Using MIDI CC in Live – Ableton

1 Like

follow the instructions here:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/206240184-Creating-your-own-Control-Surface-script
find where you have:
Encoder1: -1
Encoder2: -1
Encoder3: -1
Encoder4: -1
…(up until encoder16)
and replace the -1 with the CC number of the corresponding encoder (I suggest a custom mapping for example using CC 12 to 27. anything but 1 would be alright since 1 is modwheel). assign some buttons to “nextbank…” “previousbank…” so you can scroll through them if you want. then you follow the instructions and you should be up and running. I don’t know how familiar you are with midi but it looks complicated but I was surprised how straightforward this is. Only thing is you can’t access more advanced features like clip launching / parameter name feedback with this but for what you want to do that’s enough.
some services like remotify.io gives you an interface to do all that included the advanced features but that’s a paying service; not super useful in my opinion in this case.

1 Like

I had the same issue with my Keylab MKii in Ableton - seems like mapping is always global and not specific to the channel you’ve selected/record enabled. It’s simple enough to map to macros but as you’ve mentioned it’s always hardwired to be global. I got around it with a simple max4live device that enables you to control 8 macros. If you have M4L and Ableton 11 let me know if you want the link and I’ll have a look for the download. Works a treat for me and completely stable.

2 Likes

Hi @Danturia yes, I would love to check this as I haven’t found a workaround, yet. By any chance can I extend it to the faders as well? So I would have the full amount of controllers of the Minilab 3 assignable? Best and thanks !