How to control knobs and navigate presets in Analog Lab?

Is it possible to create a functional midi-mapping for Analog Lab? Basically the general preset browsing and controlling the 8 knobs and macros.

Actually I expected to find a selectable midi profile, because it is such a popular device. Also a popular controller for many other apps and purposes, according to some internet articles.

My personal experience is quite bad. I could not manage to map something for browsing and selecting in Analog Lab.
Also the more obvious Knobs control is weird. Assignable but the encoders do not work reliable. I see random jumping parameters. I tried all 3 knob settings.

What’s also confusing, I can create all sorts of new entries in Analogs controller listing, but all seem to have the same value range? from 0.00 → 1.00
Shouldn’t it allow different value “types” and ranges?

Any infos and experiences are much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Hi @pepperstreet. Welcome to the community.

When set to Generic controller all Arturias instrument applications have MIDI configs in the MIDI settings in the right panel.
The parameters for navigation is available as some of the last on the list, when you click the ADD CONTROL button in the bottom of the MIDI panel.

When using Relative modes, then it shall be set both for the transmitting and the recieving end. Also a host shall support it. It’s not enough to just set a controllers encoders to a Relative mode.
This has been discussed before in the different forums. Please do a search first if more info is needed.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I belong to the crazy people who do a lot of search before posting a question. I spend the last 3 days on searching the net, youtube and other forums. I also read PDF Manuals before using any hard-/soft-ware, believe me! Then I noticed this Arturia forum and the older archive. A search in this forum does NOT show any relevant topic. No results.

First of all, I wonder why there is no pre-made default device setting for a BEATSTEP in the MIDI tab. I mean, this is one of the most popular controllers made by Arturia. Also funny, the other Arturia devices are selectable, but give no controller list where you could see those default mappings. Or even copy an entire list to save a lot of time.

As I already mentioned in the initial post, the BIG KNOB was not working at all… Finally I got a simple “scrolling” behavior for the presets list… with Relative#1 option. A small and partial success :wink: Unfortunately the Beatstep main knob, nor one of the other knobs allows a “click”, something that seem to be possible with the Minilab. Didn’t know that until now. So I would have to use the pads for preset select or up/down. Which feels somewhat strange to me. :crazy_face:

So, back to the basic 16 knobs to control the macros and fx:
Some of the smaller knobs do not work properly. I guess I tried every possible setting. For instance I have compared 2 adjacent knobs with the same configuration. I checked visually in AnalaogLab and also in a MIDI MONITOR app: It looks like the LEFT rotation is o.k. turning fast or very slow it seem to catch the parameter value and adjusts it down to 0.
But it behaves totally strange when turning RIGHT. No matter which speed, it tends to jump totally random. Sometimes small ranges , sometimes to the full value…

I have a feeling this is a hardware issue, not directly related to the configuration!?
There seem to be no rule. Some knobs work better than others.

BTW, are Beatstep encoders different to those in MiniLab and Keylab devices? I mean technically? Are there any user reports with “faulty” or “inaccurate” knobs?

Hi again @pepperstreet ,

I know i for one have replied posts about using Relative modes and such. Perhaps not especially with Beatstep. But it’s a generel topic using Relative modes.

No you did’nt mention the BIG KNOB in your initial post. However - i don’t have a Beatstep, but in the Midi COntrol Center i can see, that it in example should be possible to use it as a normal midi CC control.
But the range is limited to 128 values like all midi CC controls. So yes i would think you should use buttons or pads to browse the preset selection up down.

As a user i can’t answer you WHY questions about the product. Feel free to ask and/ or make suggestions to Arturia.
But the more functionality in a controller the more it will cost i assume.
It can look like Arturias controller product lines is aiming at certain usage strength. One day perhaps they launch a controller that mix those strength even more.

Hardware/ Encoders can be broken. I can’t tell if yours are broken or if you are missing some settings somewhere. I have way too little informations about what you do. But yes you might have a hardware issue.

@LBH you are right… the initial post (here) was about all knobs in general. I guess I have copied it from another fb/messenger conversation, where I was talking about my use case. Or my mind was still referring to that chat… BTW, hard to explain technical stuff, experiences in a few words of my ancient school-english :wink:

I’m going to contact Arturia Support for my technical questions and assumptions about the small knobs.

Also browsing the legacy forum, maybe there is some more Beatstep related content.

Thanks so far!