[Feature Request] Transpose by semitones

Microfreak already has the functionality to transpose by octaves, but it would be very useful to be able to transpose by semitones as well (I’m actually surprised this hasn’t been implemented yet). Given how it has a small two-octave keyboard, you lose a lot of available range when playing in any key other than C.

What would be the best way to access this? Shift-Octave Arrows is still unused, and would make sense if it’s treated as a per-preset setting. Or add a Transpose submenu under Utility (Preset and/or Global), which would allow you to set both the Octave and Semitone transposition.

4 Likes

Hey @Talahamut

Thanks for the suggestion, could be nice!

We’ll keep this marked as a feature request so our Devs are aware of it.

I don’t have a microfreak, but I plan on getting one. I would want a transpose feature on a 2 octave as well. I often use modes based on A, which means I can’t even get to the 3 note on a small board in the upper octave unless I strictly use inversions. While I could simply connect one of my MIDI controllers, it defeats the appeal of portability. I can’t imagine that a simple semitone shift would be much more complex than the octave shift that is already standard

1 Like

I agree that it would be very useful to be able to transpose the Microfreak by semitones. It has a small two-octave keyboard, so you lose a lot of available range when playing in any key other than C.

I think the best way to access semitone transposition would be to use the Shift-Octave Arrows keys. This would be consistent with the way that octave transposition is currently accessed, and it would allow you to set the transposition on a per-preset basis.

Another option would be to add a Transpose submenu under Utility (Preset and/or Global). This would allow you to set both the octave and semitone transposition in one place. However, I think using the Shift-Octave Arrows keys would be a more convenient and efficient way to access semitone transposition.

Here is a summary of the two options:

Option 1: Shift-Octave Arrows

• Pros:
    • Consistent with current octave transposition shortcut
    • Allows you to set the transposition on a per-preset basis
  • Cons:
    • May be difficult to reach for users with small hands

Option 2: Transpose submenu under Utility

• Pros:
    • Allows you to set both the octave and semitone transposition in one place
    • Easier to reach for users with small hands
  • Cons:
    • Not as convenient or efficient as using the Shift-Octave Arrows keys

Ultimately, the best way to access semitone transposition is a matter of personal preference. I hope this helps!

Weird bot-flex, but ok…

1 Like