Do I own the output?

Sorry i wasn’t sure where to ask this, please let me know where questions like this are appropriate in the future (why isn’t their a general topic or an A Labs category???

I just wanted to know if i record the output from a plugin, say the Korg Ms-20 and I’m using a preset (in this case “Electric Locomotive”), do i then gain audio rights to that sample that i made? or is the preset sound output likely to be existing or claimed in either another song or licensed under Arturia?

I just created a sample loop using a modified preset in the Vocoder and i figured, since i modified it with automated paramters over a loop - the bounced sample would essentially be unique, however in the korg, the output of this preset is much more generic (its a basic perc loop)

all answers appreciated kindly

I don’t think anyone has asked this before but it’s a very good question. Fundamentally you’re asking whether the Arturia-designed presets are essentially copyright. I’m going with a no because Arturia would, I have thought, made it explicitly clear.

Vangelis built an entire career out of using preset sounds on his CS80, particularly the brass presets. I’d be very surprised if Arturia have copyrighted theirs.

Straight samples from a sampler that are used without any context are copyright protected.

A good example of this was the sounds at the start of Michael Jackson’s Thriller. That’s a straight up patch from either a CMI or a Synclavier. Doing something like that would violate copyright.

But that’s the only type of case of copyrighted patches that I’m aware of.

Hey @Glyph_ka

YES you are completely entitled to use the sounds in your own musical (and other) creations. Where this gets tricky is when people start to ‘reverse engineer’ presets to extract samples from a sample based preset, you’d have to read The EULA for each sound you wish to de-construct before doing so to make sure it’s ok.

HTH!

Once you embed a sound in with a musical idea, then that idea tends to take priority.

Otherwise anyone who builds an instrument like drums or a guitar can lay copyright claim to any sounds they produce and we just wouldn’t get anywhere.

As people have said there is no Copyright on Sounds from a Synth - but I don’t understand @simon.a.billington’s point - are you saying the sound at the beginning of Thriller was created by Jackson’s team and that it became copyright at that point? I don’t see a way to
Copyrighta sound - like Jimmy Pages guitar sound - it can’t be done -

Or are you saying CMI or Fairlight had Copyright on their sounds - I think that would come under the same practice as Pages guitar sounds - you can Copyright the Pattern of notes - just not the noise that’s made AFAIK.

It was actually the musical phrase at the beginning of Beat It, using a patch on the Synclavier. The problem was that the phrase was a direct copy of a phrase on the Synclavier’s demo record, so much so that many people still think Quincy Jones sampled the Synclavier demo record, which he had no reason to actually do because his studio already had a Synclavier.

As Jan said… But also just just simply using a raw, straight up sound, with nothing else playing could be considered violating copyright.

Nothing has been done to creatively alter it or turn it into a different piece. Plus it puts a rather very expensive sound form a very expensive piece of equipment out there for other people to easily resample.

I don’t know if that last part is actually problem, but if you read the EULA for many sample libraries they clearly state that you are not allowed to do such a thing either. This makes me think that it IS a problem.