Change MIDI channel not just on the tracks

Hi!
I used to have a Keystep but recently sold it and bought a Keystep Pro instead since I wanted the 4 track sequencer. I’m sequencing 4 hardware synths with the Keystep Pro sequencer, set to channels 1 - 4. I also have a Roland MC-707 with its own sequencer and 8 MIDI channels set to 5 - 12. I want to switch to MIDI channel 5 on the keystep so I can play the keys and record that MIDI information into the 707. On the original Keystep I could press shift + keys 1-16 on the keyboard to choose which MIDI channel to use but I haven’t found a way to do that on the Pro. I was thinking maybe pressing shift + buttons 1 - 16 would let med do this but it doesn’t. What am I missing?

Hi @Synth_E_Sizer welcome to our Sound Explorers community!

In order to help you go through your setup, please log in to your account to contact our support team that will help you to fix this situation.

Let’s keep exploring :zap:

To change the ‘MIDI Channel Out’ of a ‘Track’:

• Hold ‘Track 1-4’ + Turn Main Encoder (to select)
  • Click on Main encoder

Hope it helps!

:astronaut:

2 Likes

Thank you. I knew that. Maybe I was a bit unclear in my first post. I have synths assigned to all the 4 tracks (MIDI channel 1-4) on the keystep pro. Now I want to play the keyboard and record that to the MC-707 MIDI channel 5 - 12 without having to change any of the tracks on the KSP. I just figured I could, for example, press shift + button 1 - 16, or 5 - 12 in my case, to chose which channel to use without having to switch back and forth on the tracks.

I mean I can of course change MIDI on a track temporarly ( that’s what I do at the moment ) But it’s inconvenient doing it that way when I have recorded sequences to all the tracks.

I hope I’m a bit clearer this time. :slight_smile:

I actually wasn’t aware of this shortcut, holding the track button and spinning the knob… neat!

I hear ya

the only way I can think of to currently (kind of) do this, is to use the drum mode on midi channel 5 and deal with it only being 2 octaves

I know this isn’t exactly what you want though