Can I link different drum elements to different pads?

Hi there,

Guys, I would love to count with your help.

I am totally new to MIDI controllers and purchased an Arturia Minilab 3 a few weeks ago.

I am now using it and really loving it. But, I saw this video before the purchase:

There she plays drums using the pads. What I would like to know is: is it possible to “link”/“map” different drum elements to different pads, instead of mere notes?

I mean, I would like to use different elements (kick, snare, cymbal, etc). So can I “map” each pad to those different elements? If so, how?

I confess I am struggling a bit when trying to use Minilab 3’pads, but, if this would be possible, it would be really great.

Thanks in advance.

This is something that has to be set up in your DAW or whatever drum instrument that you use. The usual way this works is by assigning a specific MIDI note to each drum element. For example, in Ableton Live, you can use a drum rack. That’s what she’s using in the MiniLab 3 video in your post.

Here’s a video that shows how to set up a drum rack in Live

With drum racks, it’s easiest to assign the samples to the MIDI notes that the MiniLab 3 pads are configured to send by default (starting at C1). You can change the pad assignments in MIDI Control Center if you need to for some other drum software or hardware you want to use with it.

1 Like

That’s great. I’ll take a look.

Thank you very much.

1 Like