[Bug] The synchronized delay (Digital Sync, Stereo Sync, etc.) does not use the correct tempo

Hi everyone,

I’m posting here about an issue I’ve encountered with the current version of MiniFreak V. It affects presets using a synchronized delay, although it’s possible that other tempo-synchronized effects may also be affected.

This post is mainly intended for anyone who has noticed similar behavior. I have already reported the issue to Arturia Support, and they have reproduced and confirmed the problem on their side.

Just to be clear, this issue only affects the software instrument, MiniFreak V (5.0.0.6875 macOS). The hardware MiniFreak is not affected and behaves normally.

I’ll describe the issue in detail below, along with the workaround I found to get around it.

I hope this information will be helpful to anyone who has experienced the same problem.

And, of course, I’d also like to thank Arturia once again for this new version, which makes my MiniFreak even more versatile. :blush:

The synchronized delay (Digital Sync, Stereo Sync, etc.) does not use the correct tempo.

Description:
When loading a preset containing a tempo-synchronized delay, regardless of the delay type, playing a note produces an echo delay that does not correspond to the default tempo of 120 BPM.

Instead, the application appears to use a minimum tempo corresponding exactly to 30 BPM.

It is worth noting that if you switch to Sequencer mode, the displayed tempo remains at 120 BPM, while the echo is actually synchronized to 30 BPM. Also, in MiniFreak V > Preferences > Audio MIDI Settings , the Tempo is correctly set to 120 BPM .

Reliable workaround

The problem can be fixed every time using the following procedure:

  1. Switch to Sequencer mode.
  2. Click Seq to enable the sequencer.
  3. Press Play/Stop .
  4. Let the sequencer run for one bar (the exact number of bars does not seem to matter).
  5. Press Play/Stop again.
  6. Disable the sequencer.

The preset then behaves normally again.

  • If the changes are saved after fixing the problem using the procedure above, nothing changes. The next time the preset containing a synchronized delay is loaded, the bug is reproduced in exactly the same way.

Additional tests

Restoring the preset from a backup made before the update:
This makes no difference. The same bug occurs again in MiniFreak V.

Synchronizing MiniFreak V with the hardware MiniFreak (firmware 5):
If MiniFreak V is synchronized with the MiniFreak hardware (firmware 5), and the affected preset(s) containing the synchronized delay are loaded, the hardware MiniFreak behaves normally.

However, MiniFreak V behaves exactly as described above.

Creating a new preset:
If I create a completely new preset in MiniFreak V using the synchronized delay, the same bug occurs again under the same conditions, and it can be resolved using the same procedures described above.

Hi @David. Welcome to the community.

Hi

Thanks for your post.

I can also confirm there is something wrong.

But i can add this using the Default preset to test, then if i start playing (not doing anything else) then the Sync delay at a point suddenly go into the correct tempo. I can’t predict when it happens or if it’s about how i play. It’s strange anyway.

Also if i switch between the different sync delays and tab a single note each time, then it also at some point jump into playing the correct tempo. Perhaps that’s also about just playing notes.

Running the sequencer like you suggest or the arp also play notes.

Perhaps Arturia can use this info in the troubleshooting.

Hi LBH,

Thanks for confirming this. Yes, I noticed exactly the same behavior.

In my case, simply playing random notes for a while can also make the delay suddenly jump back to the correct tempo. It seems to happen rather unpredictably, just as you described.

After about thirty seconds, the synchronization tempo appears to jump from 30 BPM to 240 BPM extremely quickly. Nothing is displayed in the interface, but this can clearly be heard. It produces a kind of “laser-gun” effect.

This is actually why I mentioned the workaround in my original post: running the sequencer for a bar, stopping it, and then disabling it reliably brings the delay back to the correct tempo. As you pointed out, the sequencer and the arp are essentially just triggering notes, so this may well be related to the act of playing notes itself.

Hopefully this gives the Arturia team another clue to track down what is happening.

Thanks again for confirming the issue :+1: