AL4 not loading on M1 processor - how to swap for ALPro?

Hi all:

New here and my brain went numb searching for this exact topic, so apologies for asking again. I’m running Analog Lab in Ableton Live 10.

My ancient Intel-based MBP finally bit the dust last night. A friend gifted me an M1 MBP to replace it. I see that Analog Lab 4 no longer works with this upgrade, which means it’s greyed out on all my projects. However, when replacing it with ALPro on the tracks, it defaults to the first sound in my library, rather than the original sound used in the composition.

Under normal conditions, I’d keep running both versions of Analog Lab to access my old tracks, but since AL4 literally won’t install or open on an M1 Mac, that’s not an option.

Is ALPro supposed to be able to “smartly” port in the original patches from AL4 on each track, or is there some other process for doing so? How do folks who’ve made hundreds of songs in AL4 (and older) deal with this problem?

I would first try opening your DAW in Rosetta mode and maybe the old AL4 will work. You could then try saving a copy of the project or at least noting the patches used before reverting to native mode and using AL Pro.

I just did a very quick test.

2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro

Didn’t have A4 installed.

Installed it, I got a message that’s irrelevant to me, something about 32bit plug-ins not supported.

It installed fine, I ran it, it insisted I didn’t own it (I do) , so selected Demo mode as can’t be bothered messing around with license activation when I should be in bed asleep.

It ran 100% fine

AL4 is not supported on the Apple M series. See:

https://support.arturia.com/hc/en-us/articles/4414972951570-Compatibility-with-M1-M2-processors.

However, I will run in Rosetta mode.

1 Like

How do I know if something is starting in Rosetta mode?

I read the OP while in bed and unable to sleep, so thought I’d get the MacBook out and try and find a solution for them.

I downloaded Analog_Lab_4__4_2_3_3897.pkg. from Arturia, ran it and a popup window appeared saying

This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed.

To keep your computer secure, you should only run programs or install software from a trusted source. If you’re not sure about this software’s source, click Cancel to stop the program and the installation

Cancel. Allow

I clicked on Allow

Got the same message again

I clicked on Allow

Then I got the normal installer window where I clicked continue (agree on license)

Then I had to choose which types I wanted, I chose the defaults (VST, AAX, Audio Unit, Third Party Resources, Standalone) and clicked continue

Then clicked on “Install” on the next window

Then a window popped up saying

CMI V samples saved from this Analog Lab version will be only permitted to be loaded from CMI V version 1.2.0 or higher, please update CMI V consequently.

I clicked OK

It chugged away for a short while before coming up with

The Installation was Successful

The Software was installed

I clicked Close.

Then I went into my applications and clicked on Analog 4

It opened and worked 100% fine.

I was just trying to help the OPs.

I don’t know much about Macs having only just switched from decades of windows.

I’ve heard of Rosetta mode but don’t recall ever using it, then again I don’t know how I would use it etc.

If it’s just a background app that once installed, automatically runs those programs that require it, I might have installed it without realising at an earlier date while installing my other music software, (all from major places such as Arturia, Native Instruments etc)

I just opened my Studio 6 DAW (again simply opened it as I normally would, don’t know how I would try opening it in Rosetta mode, so unless it started in Rosetta mode automatically, it wasn’t in Rosetta mode). I created a track using Analog 4, it created fine and all the analog 4 presets that I randomly tried, worked 100% fine.

Just had a read on Rosetta and Funtmaster is 100% correct, I don’t recall installing Rosetta, but must have done at some point.

When I read things like “Run in Rosetta mode” I was presuming we had to run the application in a specific way (In windows for example, we can right click an app and click a box to run in admin mode)

Note: We do have a tick box for non Rosetta apps to run in Rosetta mode should we require them to, for example running a non Rosetta app that has third party plugins that require Rosetta mode, hence Funtmaster suggesting to open your DAW in Rosetta mode.

Rosetta mode is completely silent

If an application needs it, it uses it, everything happens automatically in the background.

If you look at an Apps info, next to where it says “Kind”, if it says “Application (Intel)” it runs in Rosetta mode, if it says “Application (Universal)” it runs without using rosetta mode.

Analog Lab 4 says "Kind Application (Intel)

Sorry if I’ve added any confusion, I was just trying to help, personally I have learned a lot today.

Special thanks to Funtmaster for the link (and putting up with me)

1 Like

No problem. We all have things to learn. Be aware that Rosetta support will eventually be removed by Apple as it’s a transition tool, but that’s not likely to happen for another couple of years.

1 Like

Hi y’all:

Thanks for all the feedback over the weekend! I was technically able to get AL4 to install in Ableton as an Audio Unit (AUv2) plugin, but all of my existing sessions use it as a VST, so that doesn’t really help. And when I do run the AUv2 version, the plugin appears distorted with strange dimensions, as if I had changed the resolution of my monitor. In either case, it doesn’t act as a 1:1 replacement for the VST version. The old VST data is simply lost.

I suppose I’m still stuck on the fact that there’s no intuitive way to transfer/convert the AL4 instances to an equivalent ALPro track, but I understand there are differences in the underlying engines. But I don’t know what every producer who ever made work in AL4 has done about this. Is everyone just manually reprograming every track in every session in their back-catalogue?

Usually when I finish a track, the very last thing I do is convert all the virtual instrument tracks to audio. I didn’t foresee this precise issue, but even 8 years ago when I first bought V Collection 4 (which in those days had Analog Lab V2), I knew there would come a time when the VSTs in that pack would no longer work on future computers, or in future DAWs. That inevitability seemed obvious to me even though I of course didn’t know the exact circumstances which would lead to it. I’m glad I did because I can still open all my old projects from 7-8 years ago, although obviously I can’t edit the Arturia sounds without completely recreating them. But at least I don’t get some default preset or a sine-wave on half my instrument tracks in dozens of projects.

I couldn’t say what other producers do, but those producers who have been around a while probably do either the same as me, or something similar with the same end-result which future-proofs their valuable sessions. There are very few certainties in life except death and taxes, but one of them is that today’s apps won’t run on tomorrow’s computers.

1 Like

Thank you for reminding me that this is a habit I should get in to as I have fallen foul of the odd missing or obsolete AU plugin.

1 Like

A very wise answer indeed. I suppose my ‘problem,’ such as it is, is that I tend to toss out dozens of ideas and leave them hanging around to pick up in the future. I’m probably not any more likely to finish tracks with that in mind, but it’s a sensible reply!

1 Like

While I was messing around doing the above, A4 would only run in Demo mode, I sent a support request asking why I couldn’t register it…

Here is their response

——————

Thank you for reaching us and sorry for this inconvenience.

Unfortunately, Analog Lab 4 stopped working on Apple Silicon M1/M2 computers as soon as the Arturia Software Center (ASC ) was updated for Apple Silicon Native support.

• However, Analog Lab V which now replaces Analog Lab 4 (you’re also eligible for it) has been updated at the same time as the V Collection for Apple Silicon Native support.

This means that, to keep on using Analog Lab you will need to move to Analog Lab V:

• User presets are automatically imported from Analog Lab 4 to Analog Lab V and should be located in the main “Factory” bank showed below:

You can also import Factory presets from "Legacy Instruments" to Analog Lab V by ticking the Include Legacy Sounds box featured in Analog Lab V’s main menu :

IMG_1427

• This option will be only displayed when having any of these very precise “Legacy instruments” versions installed (to access their legacy presets):
  • Piano V1 or V2
  • B-3 V1
  • Stage-73 V1
  • Jup-8 V3
    - Prophet V3
    - CS-80 V3

If you do not have any of these installed, its normal that you do no see the option displayed.

• Could you please confirm me if you do also have access to your Factory / User presets and Sound banks through Analog Lab V ?

In case these may not appear on your side, make sure to also try the suggestion below:

• To update the Presets database index you need to delete a specific temp file called “db.db3” located here:

/Library/Arturia/Presets

If you have not enabled the display of hidden folders please go to your file explorer → display → check “show hidden folders”

Alternatively, you should be also able to directly copy/paste the path indicated above in your Windows File browser address bar.

Once this file is deleted, the preset list will be updated on software opening.

• Here’s our dedicated article regarding “M1/M2 compatibility” :

Of course, we remain at your entire disposal if anything remains unclear.

Best Regards

Yep, I was able to import all my patches with no problems, but that doesn’t replace each instance of AL4 with an ALPro instance containing the same patch. I’d still have to do as suggested above: manually replace every AL4 instance with ALPro and reassign the patch. I suppose perhaps I’ll have to spend a week going through all my old sessions making the transition (or, as also suggested, rendering them down to WAVs with the original patch name).