After the Update to Pigments 5 - Freezes and crashes

Nearly 4 months later and nothing changed.
It is just getting worse…
Now Pigments runs for about 1 minute and then totally freeezes, including the DAW. Sounds are still playing
The same thing happens when you minimize Pigments…

I’m also experiencing serious problems with the latest Pigment release, in standalone / VST3 it will freeze in less than a couple of minutes Ableton live become unresponsive, it’s really sad.

I have also encountred several lags or crash with the other Arturia Analog Lab collection synths, it appear when you browse the presets , it may freeze upon you load a new one.

I don’t have any problems with other VST instrument brands, I don’t think it’s my hardware, it’s just with the Arturia products that I’m experiencing problems, i hope that the Dev team will solve these problems in the next updates, while waiting i’m using other plugins

Hardware Config :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 5850X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Ram : 64 Go
GPU : Asus Nvidia RTX 3080
Windows 11 / Ableton Live 11 Suite

Update!!!

After quite a lot of testing, I was able to track my issue down to something with NVidia. What was happening is that any time I clicked outside of Ableton Live (Or for that matter, any DAW listed below…) The DAW and plugin windows would become unresponsive. I was able to unfreeze them by right clicking their application icon in the task bar, then left clicking the application icon in the taskbar (minimizes the app), then left clicking the application icon again (maximizes the app). At this point I could then move the plugin windows and use the DAW again… Until I clicked outside the DAW window again.

What resolved it for me was uninstalling everything NVidia related and then rebooting.
I downloaded the NVidia Studio version of the driver for my card and when installing I chose advanced options and clicked the “Clean Install” box. After the driver finished, I rebooted. So far, I’ve not been able to crash any DAW after doing this. So seems like my issue was graphics card driver related. I hope this may help someone else.

Initial Reply:

Same here. It seems to freeze up sometime after I show the Pigments plugin’s UI. It’s been happening for quite a few months now… I’ve confirmed It’s not just Pigments though. It’s also occurring with other Arturia V4 VSTs such as: MiniFreak V, Acid V, Jup-8 V4, Mini V4 as well as the Augmented plugins such as Augmented Grand Piano. I can tell you that V3 VSTs such as: Piano V3, Mini V3, Wurli V3 do not cause a DAW freeze. To get out of the DAWs I have to open task manager and kill the application.

I’ve tried uninstalling pigments multiple times. I used void tools “Everything” (Which does a really good job of searching files in Windows quickly) to search all drives for anything “Pigments” and deleted anything “Pigments” related. I then rebooted the computer. I reinstalled through the Arturia Software Center, to my C: (OS) drive (Not installed to any external drives). I’ve also tried uninstalling everything in Arturia Software Center and reinstalling. I can also confirm that the standalone version of Pigments works fine. It’s only freezing when using as a plugin within a DAW. I’ve listed each DAW experience below. I have multiple.

Ableton Live v12.0.5 - Seems to freeze after having Pigments or V4 and V VSTs open for a minute or so.
Studio One v6.6.1 - Freezes after a few minutes with the VST4 and V5 UIs open.
Bitwig Studio v5.1.9 - Freezes almost immediately after showing the UI on any V4 or V5 VST.(I tried setting the Plug-in Hosting mode to “Individually” to see if that helped. It did not.)
Reaper v7.17 - Well… Reaper didn’t freeze up for quite a while having Pigments loaded… I switched over to write this down and then… (Of course) it froze up.
FL Studio 2024 - Freezes if you have the VST open and click outside of FL Studio. When you click back in the DAW it’s frozen.

I do some development on the side and from what I’m seeing, I’m wondering if this is a threading/concurrency issue involving the UI on the newer VSTs. The older versions don’t seem to have this issue. If anyone at Arturia would like any further info or testing done to help resolve this, I’d be happy to do what I can.

System Specs:
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor, 3901 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processors
RAM: 32 Gb
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070 (Current Driver: v556.12)
Audio Interface: Universal Audio Volt 276 running at 44100 Hz Buffer Size 256 samples

1 Like

OH MY GOD!!! With Arturia support we finally get the solution.

THE MAIN THING WAS WITH VIDEO CARD. I USED TO CHANGE GLOBAL SETTINGS TO “USE HIGH PERFOMANCE NVIDIA CARD” BUT IT WAS NOT HELP AT ALL. TO FIX THE PROBLEM U NEED TO ADD ABLETON.EXE FILE TO FORCE NVIDIA CARD BOOT.(ITS THE GRAPHICS SETTING IN WINDOWS 11) AND AFTER THAT ABLETON WILL USE NVIDIA AND EVERYTHING STARTS WORK PERFECT!

HUGE THANKS TO RICARDO FROM ARTURIA SUPPORT

p.s. I got the same problem as you! =)

p.p.s. Sorry for caps but i nearly lost all my working projects)))

1 Like