Sitting on the fence and waiting for a new KeyLab MK3

Just shows how badly I used it lol

1 Like

Just saw this video about Arturiaā€™s new Polybrute 12. The keybed seems to be Arturiaā€™s own innovation and it makes hope for some innovation coming to the new KeyLab generation:

1 Like

If the new Keylab were to mount the same keybed or something similar then the price will definitely skyrocket. Just look at the difference in price from the old polybrute to the new one.

I am not sure if I subscribe to that. Pricing in music (and elsewhere) is rarely based on cost of production.

2 Likes

Must be a factor, sure, but Iā€™m thinking twice the amount of VCOs plays a big part in the price.

1 Like

I hope something happens soon. Iā€™ve been sat on the fence so long Iā€™m starting to get splinters up my a**

:rofl::rofl::rofl: ROFL.

My impression: Arturia follows the playbook of maximum attention. The AstroLab and the Polybrute 12 might already exist for some time. And Arturia waited to give every device the full public attention.
KeyLab MKIII will be launched when there is nothing else in the pipeline anymore. It is the most important device in the lineup and will grab all the light. So this is a reasonable strategy. Even if it makes you a little butthurt. It seems to be a risk Arturia is ready to take.:man_shrugging:

Well thatā€™s one way of playing the game.
It may or may not pay off.
People just give up waiting and buy from a competitor.
And Arturiaā€™s long game is they hope those people are outnumbered by new customers + those who have waited.

You can certainly buy NI or Korg.

I see it a little differently. Arturia owes me nothing. Thank God I have all the time of the world. When I bought my actual keyboard, I made sure not to miss something ā€“ I did not know AnalogLab then. :man_shrugging: Now of course I would like to have the AnalogLab integration. But I wonā€™t get that by buying NI or Korg. I have a lot of NI stuff. But every time I use Kontakt I realize how much off the target NI is for my needs. Regarding Korg: they do not tie themselves to one of the ecosystems. That also means, no tight AnalogLab integration. So it would be only Midi 2.0 and PA.

And thatā€™s absolutely not enough to get me off the fence :sunglasses:

there are a lot of us starting to wait with trepidation but after the release of the polybrute the exaltation has arrived in the starsā€¦ I canā€™t wait

YES!!! ABSOLUTELY!!! I absolutely love Arturia. I used to own a Keystep Pro, Keylab 61 mk2, Drumbruteā€¦ I sold them to upgrade. I now own a Keylab 88 mk2 & KL minilab mk3. Audiofuse 8pre.

Bigger Screen! Bigger Screen & the ability to have Arturia plugins on a big screen like NI software on S88 mk2 & mk3ā€¦ The keys are noisy when you play themā€¦not a big complaint but it would be nice if they were quieter.

I am waiting patiently too. Keylab mk3 88ā€¦for live performanceā€¦ I need 88 keys!! This thing sounds nice on stage. I am a teacher & I let my middle school students play this board for the talent show performances & they love it tooā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t really agree. If the presence of an OLED screen were to raise the price dramatically (and perhaps be small like Astrolabā€™s) then it would be better not to have it at all and focus more on the quality of the controls and the keybed. After all, being a master we all have a huge screen to concentrate on. Furthermore, I would add that unlike NI, Arturiaā€™s vst all have a different layout, and would not integrate well with the physical part of the keyboard.

3 Likes

Yeah I donā€™t really care about the quality or size of the screen on a tethered midi controller. Iā€™m all about the keys. A big screen full of useful information is more important (to me) on a standalone synth/hybrid. And on their hybrid, Arturia deliveredā€¦a watchface, sat to the right hand side of an acre of empty space. But Iā€™m trying not to judge because that product was not aimed at me. Presumably they had a team of user researchers who reached out to a truckload of live players who came back with yeah a screen the size of watchface with a couple of lines of teeny tiny writing is exactly what Iā€™m wanting on stage. /S

2 Likes

The best solution could be a at least 5-inch rectangular screen with the analog lab interface, but for a ā€œmasterā€ it continues to be something that is not strictly necessary. Better to invest in a good keybed, such as the most recent tp-110 by Fatar, mounted on their numa pianos (Iā€™m talking about the 88-key version).

However, there should be very little left, the black versions have disappeared from Thomannā€™s price list and reading online it seems that another user has been confirmed via email that they are officially out of production. Now they just have to dispose of a good part of the white ones and we should be there : )

1 Like

You are right. Even with Amazon here in Germany there are only 'Essential" versions available. My guesstimation: We will get our news next week. But still not holding my breath :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I hope weā€™ve not built up our expectations too much about this new KL mkIII if and when it arrives. My evidence for hoping it will be this new feature-rich singing and dancing answer to my prayers is the reality that Arturia need as a business to make it competitive with other mfrsā€™ products in the same price category. It canā€™t be just a slightly remodelled MkII .

I hope you are right and a mk3 is imminent.

But:

Andertons in the UK has a preorder for the black version of the 61 mk2 saying new stock is expected on 10th July

PMT also has the 49key black mk2 version available to preorder.

I do not think that stock will run out at the same time on all markets world-wide. I do not know if the EU market and the UK market are sourced as one. :man_shrugging: But Arturia is a European company (France) and it makes sense that Europe is running lead in the sell-out of the MK2 version.
That being said. It is all a game of assumptions and nobody despite Arturia knows nothing. :cowboy_hat_face:
Since Arturia does not deem me a YT influencer big enough yet. I will have an Eye on Loopopā€™s channel if there is something published because he usually is leading the pack. :man_shrugging:

Surely they canā€™t keep selling this dinosaur into 2025 when competitors have newer and considerably-more-capable premium midi controllers on offer. It seems inconceivable to me that Arturia researchers havenā€™t at least bought one of each of their competitorsā€™ models and thought whoa weā€™re quite a bit behind. And Iā€™ll say this again like a stuck record, chiefly where theyā€™re lagging is the lack of poly aftertouch, which some of Arturiaā€™s VSTs do respond to (notably the CS80V) but NONE of their existing midi controllers can send it.

Itā€™s a bit embarrasing now tbh that you have to use a competitorā€™s midi controller in order to get full functionlity out of Arturia VSTs, either that or try to use them with the 'Stylophone On Steroids" Microfreak, which does at least have PA.

1 Like