March 28, 2024, 01:30:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Weird voice retrigger behavior  (Read 2426 times)

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
Weird voice retrigger behavior
« on: December 13, 2019, 04:21:16 am »
I just bought Pigments 2 today. I didn't buy the original, so I don't have something to compare to. Here's the deal:

I'm noticing that when I press and release the same note note multiple times, I don't hear the release of the note I've just released. It's like the same voice is being allocated to that note, as though voice stealing is happening (even though I'm only playing one note!). This is especially noticeable on pad sounds with long attacks and releases. It's jarring and uncomfortable to hear.

When playing repeated notes on other Arturia polysynths (Jup-8 for example), a new voice is allocated each time you press a note, so you get the whole amp envelope of every voice. Voice stealing only happens when all voices have been allocated. It seems that, since cyclical voice allocation is common for most hardware and software synths, this would be the expected behavior in Pigments. In other words, this feels like bad programming, not an intended function.

I'm not seeing any voice allocation/stealing settings within Pigments. I read the manual and found no information on the topic. Any help would be appreciated.

LBH

Re: Weird voice retrigger behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:47:10 pm »
How are your settings for your envelopes Gate Source?
Can you please name a specific Factory preset to look at?

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:19:36 am »
The gate source on Env VCA is "hardwired to incoming MIDI notes" — unlike the other envelopes, that's not something that can be changed.

You can recreate this behavior with literally any polyphonic patch. On the VCA, set a long attack and a long release. Play a note repeatedly. The release phase of the previous note will cut off the next time you press the key.

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 12:26:16 am »
I'm just going through every single Pads patch with long VCA attack and release:

5th Sweep
Above Sheer Beauty
Abyss
Ambientware
Ancient Beings
etc.

And turning off effects and playing. These patches all have Poly KBD as their VCA gate source (like I said, that's hardwired in) and all exhibit the exact same behavior. If you press a key multiple times, you can tell you're not getting a new voice allocated to the key. The release phases should stack up if you played a key multiple times in succession, but they don't. They always cut off when you retrigger the note.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 01:28:30 am »
Yes i can confirm that Pigments 2 work like it's voice allocation is in constant REASSIGN mode, so when you play an allready playing note again, then it use the same voice instead of using another free voice, like it does, if you play another note, than the ones that is allready playing.
It is strange that REASSIGN is the voice allocation mode, when there only is one mode.

I would like to be able to choose different voice modes. Other of Arturias synths have voice allocation options like REASSIGN, ROTATE, RANDOM, RESET and more.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:33:52 am by LBH »

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 01:51:13 am »
Did Pigments 1 have this same "reassign" voice allocation behavior? I wish I could summon an Arturia dev to explain it.

This seems like a serious oversight, as while many decaying sounds (percussion, bells, mallets) might all sound better without their tails muddying the mix, it ruins pads.

Serum by Xfer suffers from the opposite problem: its one voice allocation mode is "cycle," and while new notes do steal notes that are currently being held, setting low polyphony is a very hamfisted way of trying to get "reassign" style allocation.

mindphaser

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 02:46:41 pm »
Unfortunately that strange behavior annoys me too...  ::)

LBH

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 06:01:03 pm »
Did Pigments 1 have this same "reassign" voice allocation behavior? I wish I could summon an Arturia dev to explain it.

This seems like a serious oversight, as while many decaying sounds (percussion, bells, mallets) might all sound better without their tails muddying the mix, it ruins pads.

Serum by Xfer suffers from the opposite problem: its one voice allocation mode is "cycle," and while new notes do steal notes that are currently being held, setting low polyphony is a very hamfisted way of trying to get "reassign" style allocation.
Funny how fast one can be in doubt. I'm actually not certain, that this reassign voice allocation was in Pigments 1. I think it was. I can recall, that i sometimes when playing polyphony have been annoyed about notes that have been cut off like you describe it.
Reassign is good in many situations, as you actually get a full new retrigger, and that can be a good thing. I would like to have a choice for voice allocation modes.
Reassign is'nt the most natural assign mode for polyphony, but it certainly have it's good sides. It is'nt wrong or a strange assign mode, but strange it's the only mode.

You can't exspect Arturia to answer here, even if they have read the posts and note this, and even if Arturia sometimes answer in th forums. I agree that it sometimes would be nice with more response in the forums. You can contact Arturia support through your account.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:08:59 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:17:23 pm »
A non-voice stealing mode/ rotate has been added in version 2.0.1.837. I have not tested it much, so can't tell for 100% certain, if it work as wanted. But something has been done, and perhaps the issue in this topic has been fixed. I think it is fixed.

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 08:10:45 pm »
It isn't changed in a way that addresses my original post.

I just updated to 2.0.1 today and tested it by creating a patch with long attack and decay. When pressing the same note or chord multiple times, the old notes are cut off and the VCA is retriggered, so no, it's not fixed.

LBH

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 08:55:31 pm »
Have you set the "Steal" parameter to "Rotate" in the Keyboard sections Play Settings?

MCMorrise

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:59 pm »
Ahhhh. I hadn't. Now it seems to work as expected. This is much better. I'll still have to go through and change this in a lot of factory patches, but it's better.

Props to Arturia for delivering a useful update.

LBH

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 02:04:08 pm »
Please have a look at this: SUSTAIN PEDAL UNTRIGGERS NOTES : https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=101768.msg170451#new

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines