April 20, 2024, 02:40:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: modulating with noise  (Read 1704 times)

dominion1

• Apprentice
modulating with noise
« on: December 13, 2019, 12:31:28 am »
i was trying out the matrix on my new mxb today, but couldn't figure out how to modulate pitch or the filter with noise. usually i would just use a fast random lfo but should be possible via the matrix no?

standingwave

Re: modulating with noise
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:47:37 am »
 You can use the LFO set to random at audio rate and assign that via the matrix, or you can use the "audio mod" section. From there it directs your noise to the oscillators or filters as a modulation source.
 Have fun!

dominion1

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 02:11:51 pm »
You can use the LFO set to random at audio rate and assign that via the matrix, or you can use the "audio mod" section. From there it directs your noise to the oscillators or filters as a modulation source.
 Have fun!

oh it's right there in the audio mod stupid me!
thanks! yeah having lots of fun for sure it's a beast of a synth.

in the audio mod noise is wired to vco1 and vcf1. theres no way to link that to vco2 and 3 or vcf2?

standingwave

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 01:12:18 am »
 Not stupid at all; there's a f^#% tonne of knobs and buttons on that thing. Lol.

The only way to get the audio rate modulation from one knob to another is by daisy chaining. For example:noise>vco1 then VCO1>vco2.  After that, you'd need to patch some cables: VCO2 pitch cv out> VCF1 cutoff or wherever else you want.

Lots to explore!

Processaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 12:45:45 pm »
I like the red noise as a modulator, it is the most like a burbling random lfo.  The other ones' high frequencies come through and sound like noise, albeit different noise from just mixing in the audio with the noise volume.

One thing I would like to figure out on the matrixbrute is how to do impulse/comparator noise- its like a square wave, either off or on, but at random times.  It ends up sounding like crackle.

dominion1

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 03:32:54 pm »
Not stupid at all; there's a f^#% tonne of knobs and buttons on that thing. Lol.

The only way to get the audio rate modulation from one knob to another is by daisy chaining. For example:noise>vco1 then VCO1>vco2.  After that, you'd need to patch some cables: VCO2 pitch cv out> VCF1 cutoff or wherever else you want.

Lots to explore!

ok i'll try that. thanks for the help!

dominion1

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 03:37:09 pm »
I like the red noise as a modulator, it is the most like a burbling random lfo.  The other ones' high frequencies come through and sound like noise, albeit different noise from just mixing in the audio with the noise volume.

One thing I would like to figure out on the matrixbrute is how to do impulse/comparator noise- its like a square wave, either off or on, but at random times.  It ends up sounding like crackle.

yeah it's really awesome to have 4 different noises available.

do you have a link for an example of this impulse/comparator noise?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines