March 19, 2024, 10:39:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Apply SEQ Length to Custom LFOs  (Read 3899 times)

SingleCell

• Apprentice
Apply SEQ Length to Custom LFOs
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:57:04 am »
I enjoy playing with polymetric stuff, and always wished there were a way to have the Sequence Mod track be a different length than the Note Sequence. 

Now I can do that by using the custom LFOs, which are basically 16 step sequences, but they are of course locked to 16 steps. 

It would be great if we could use the SEQ Length button to change the length of the Custom LFOs to fewer than 16 steps.

The idea would be that the LFO would still modulate (move thru the steps) at the same rate, just reset to step one earlier, as opposed to stretching the number of steps out to fit the chosen tempo... though I could see uses for that as well.
I hope I am explaining myself correctly.

I imagine this would not be difficult to add in a future update.  thanks!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 12:05:15 pm by SingleCell »

Processaurus

Re: Apply SEQ Length to Custom LFOs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 12:51:41 pm »
I would like that very much!  The great thing about the new LFO is the sync, to use it as a mini sequencer for modulation, it would be very nice to not be tied to 16 steps, musically.

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 12:25:21 am »
+1

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:30:12 am »
+1 Good idea!

STM

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:57:31 pm »
+1

joeman

• Apprentice
    • Musical Experiments
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 05:35:32 am »
Definitely +1 :)
Experiencing a flow of temporal information now, and in anticipation, and in retrospect.

Alexandrejoe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • https://soundcloud.com/alexandrejoe
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 04:14:48 pm »
+1!

Submit that here as feature request: https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp/issues

HUBA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 06:17:25 am »
If I understand you correct this would make an LFO of any rate reset its phase each time the sequencer loops.

If so then +1000

If not then I support that too, whatever it means. Why not.

I'm not really gaga about the MBs core sound, but a resetable LFO combined with proper sequencer resolution, especially now with all the new modmatrix user slots, would elevate the MB into another dimension of funky techno and spaced out experimental madness, and once and for all end my thoghts of letting the MB go.

Unfortunately it seems the MB has some built in ghost that prevents the possibility for most fun features like the ones mentioned above, extended sequencer tempo, loopable envelopes etc. Not entirely sure about the higher sequencer resolution, but the other features, including retriggering the LFO phase, I was told by Arturia would not be possible. Really hope it turns out this was all wrong.

I love the way the MB looks, the build, the UI, but I find the step sequencer and overly sober implementation of some of its other features quite limiting for the way I like to work. Having patch memory and now the newly expanded mod matrix is awesome and all, but to me the MB is just not flexible enough to replace a modular, and, like most modern gear, its tone is not vibey enough to deliver on its own with most simple stuff either.

Very much apprechiate the new OS update though. If Arturia is really able to recognize what a monster they may have in their hands they'll do whatever technically possible to push it further and realise the MBs fullest potential

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 06:47:55 am »
If I understand you correct this would make an LFO of any rate reset its phase each time the sequencer loops.

If so then +1000

While I agree that could also be useful, it's not what I am looking for here.  What I'm talking about is letting us change the length (number of steps) for the Custom LFOs which are basically 16 step sequencers.  In fact what makes it interesting to me, is that it would NOT reset it's phase when the sequencer loops.

For example, I could be running a 16 step sequence, and have a custom LFO synced to the tempo, but only 7 steps long.  They will play in sync but the LFO will reset after 7 steps, and again after 14 steps... while the main sequence still hasn't finished it's first cycle.  When the main sequence resets back to one, the LFO will be on step 3, in this example... and continue on from there.  Depending on the ratio of steps between the two, it might take a long time before they come back around to both playing step one at the same time.

HUBA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:20:53 am »

If so then +1000

While I agree that could also be useful, it's not what I am looking for here.  What I'm talking about is letting us change the length (number of steps) for the Custom LFOs which are basically 16 step sequencers.  In fact what makes it interesting to me, is that it would NOT reset it's phase when the sequencer loops.

For example, I could be running a 16 step sequence, and have a custom LFO synced to the tempo, but only 7 steps long.  They will play in sync but the LFO will reset after 7 steps, and again after 14 steps... while the main sequence still hasn't finished it's first cycle.  When the main sequence resets back to one, the LFO will be on step 3, in this example... and continue on from there.  Depending on the ratio of steps between the two, it might take a long time before they come back around to both playing step one at the same time.

I see. You want the custom LFO wave to be able to behave like a normal odd numbered MIDI clocked LFO rate would. +1 to that as well. +1000 is reserved for LFO reset  ;)

Sofine

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 03:20:01 pm »
+1

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines