March 28, 2024, 03:18:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Please help a noob trying to loop with a KeyLab Essential  (Read 3385 times)

MikeFL

Please help a noob trying to loop with a KeyLab Essential
« on: December 11, 2019, 11:43:23 pm »
I'm new to the group, and also totally new to using hardware and software (Studio One 4) to create music. I expect my need is simple, but I've searched an entire day and can not figure it out. I hope it's acceptable to post a link to YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-26uNQDaBg, since that is the easiest way to show what I am trying to do. I simply want to play a few bars, and then have those bars continue to play while I overdub another few bars with a different instrument, etc, etc, without ever leaving my keyboard. Could someone be kind enough to either explain the process, or provide the terms I can search that will help me set it up myself? Thank you so much!

LBH

Re: Please help a noob trying to loop with a KeyLab Essential
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 12:31:45 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

This is actually mostly a question about using your DAW Studio One 4. I presume you have a Studio One version that can use third party plugins, if that's what you intend to do.
In Studio One you simply set up the tracks and a loop in the length you need. Select the sound you wan't for The plugin instance you have on each track. Then you can record.

The rest is about how much you can control in the DAW from your controller. I don't have an arturia controller. Perhaps you will need a computer keeyboard or a mouse to control which track you record. Perhaps you can use different midi channels for you tracks. Much can depend on the possibilities you have in the DAW. There are often different ways to do basicly the same thing.
You should be able to use the transport controls on your controller to controls those functions in your DAW, but it's the extra functions i don't know about. The video you post is edited, so you never see how much the controller is used to control the DAW. Towards the end of the video you see tracks in a DAW, just like i have explained you need.

So i suggest you you learn about what Studio One can do for you in this context. It's something you need to learn to use your DAW.
And then learn about your controllers possibilities.
Reading the manuals can be a good help. It's allways a good idea to read manuals. Then you can ask specific question in Studio One forum and here depending on, what you need to ask for.

I hope this helps you to get started in learning.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:41:27 am by LBH »

MikeFL

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 04:29:29 pm »
Thank you very much for such a thorough response. I will focus more on learning Studio One to see if that helps me better understand the process. Secondly, after I entered my question I read that Ableton Live is much better than Studio One for "live looping". Since I have both, I will give Ableton a try as well. Thanks again for your help!

I have never been on a forum where it takes me longer to complete the verification process than it does to write my response  ???  :)

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 05:48:02 pm »
Your welcome.

Yes the DAWs like Ableton live, Bitwig and now Digital Performer can work with loops in a none linier manor.
Some DAWs are easier to learn to use than others though, but that also depend on how you would like to work, and what you find easy to do. Trying out some DAWs might be a good idea. Also to see, which DAW work best with your controller.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines