March 28, 2024, 11:05:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A doubt about the Minibrute 2s  (Read 2922 times)

Shiz

• Apprentice
A doubt about the Minibrute 2s
« on: December 09, 2019, 12:49:46 pm »
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and to the analog synth world, nice to meet you!

Before opening this thread I made a research on the forum but I found only one discussion covering this issue, but unfortunately only in part!

In the next days I will purchase either a Minibrute 2 or 2s; I am more keen to go for the 2s for its advanced step sequencer (even though I will have less time divisions and less options on the pitch and modulation wheels) but at the same time I would like to have a keyboard to play with.
Along with the 2s I am thinking about buying an Arturia Keystep in order to sync them together and have the advanced step sequencer of the 2s and the keyboard of the Minibrute 2 basically...
... and here it come my questions: buying the Keystep and synch it with the 2s will have the results I am looking for? Will they work fine together or there will be any issues? Will the sequencer on the Keystep over-take the sequencer on the Minibrute 2s or viceversa?

Any advice about which is the best configuration? Minibrute 2 w/ Beatsep PRO or Minibrute 2s w/ Keystep?

I think I have covered all the topics I need to clarify my doubts, thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:24:07 pm by Shiz »

Shiz

• Apprentice
Re: A doubt about the Minibrute 2s
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 04:38:32 pm »
Up.
Maybe I am going too much into details.

Do you have at least a feedback based on your experience on this setups?

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 11:57:25 pm »
I'm not running those setups, however, on a general basis I can tell you that:
Will they work fine together or there will be any issues? Will the sequencer on the Keystep over-take the sequencer on the Minibrute 2s or viceversa?
They will sync fine together. One will be set up as master and the other as a slave, and apart from the master controlling the tempo and start/stop, the MiniBrute/2S and BeatStep/BeatKey sequencers will be fully independent.

You don't mention if you already have any keyboards or other sound modules, or if you plan on getting any.

If you don't already have a keyboard, I'd consider getting the MiniBrute 2 for the keyboard (better than on the KeyStep) and performance controls, and then add the BeatStep Pro for additional sequencing capability for the MiniBrute and other synths and drum modules.

If you already have other keyboards, you might want the extra sequencer features of the 2S, and then why not pair that too with a BeatStep Pro for control of other synths and drum modules that you own or plan to get.

The price of the MiniBrute and the MiniBrute 2S is the same, so you could always get the BeatStep Pro anyway for the most powerful sequencing setup, unless you specifically need the keys on the KeyStep. Of course it all depends on what other gear you have, or are planning to get, w.r.t. the sequencing capabilities you would need.

Shiz

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 10:46:10 am »
Hi, thanks for the reply and for the tips.

My idea is actually to plug the Keystsp in to the Minibrute 2s in order to have either Keys and the advanced sequencer; this setup will "roughly" bring the same result as having the Minibrute 2 w/ the Beatstep pro but with less costs (to be kept in mind thag i am an entry level).

I would like to get the Minibrute 2s for the sequencer and the single modulation through the knobs for every single pad (which is actually the difference between the Minibrute 2 and the 2S).

My point is, if purchasing the Minibrute 2S and using a Keystep as a master, will i actually loose the use of the pads hence i will not be able to modulate every single voice through the knobs anymore?
Or will i still be able to play the keys on the Keystep and use the knobs on the Minibrute 2S?

If so the best option will be to purchase the Minibrute 2 along a launchpad/sequencer.

ps: i am talking about the knobs above the pads.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 06:28:42 pm »
The knobs above the pads on the MiniBrute 2S controls values of the built in sequencer, so if you're using those, you're most likely using the 2S sequencer, in which case the KeyStep will not be able to play any additional sound on the 2S since the 2S is monophonic (well, you can actually play one oscillator with the 2S on board sequencer and the other with the KeyStep sequencer in a paraphonic fashion - but it's a little bit besides the point).

To give sensoble  advice it would be good to know:
 - do you have any other keyboards or synths modules?
 - do you plan on getting other kryboard/synths  as part of your setup, and do you want to sequence them too?

Shiz

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 08:19:41 pm »
This is gonna be my first hardware purchase, i do not have any other external devices yet.

Basically my idea is to use the S2 with an external keyboard instead of using the pads.
Is that a common combo? Is it worth it? Or will i end uo loosing some features either from the Keystep and the S2?

I am sorry if this post it's a bit confused but i am trying to figure out what it can be the best solution for me as a beginner!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 09:13:20 pm »
OK, if it's your first hardware you might want a reasonably immediate synth. If I had no other keyboards I'd take the MiniBrute 2, so that I'd always have something with a good keyboard and performance controls. Unless, that is, you're totally set on the sequencer in the MniiBrute 2S, in which case it and a KeyStep would be nice,

Here are some possibilities based on what you've said so far, with prices in Euro:

- MiniBrute 2S and KeyStep (EUR 568): will let you play the MiniBrute 2S with the KeyStep's keyboard, you get the cool 2S sequencer, the KeyStep can be used to sequence another synth

- MiniBrute 2 and BeatStep Pro (EUR 698): gives you a nice 2 octave keyboard and performance controls in the MiniBrute 2, the MB 2 has its built in sequencer similar that that in the Keystep, the BeatStep Pro lets you sequence 2 other synths and a drum module

- MiniBrute 2S and KeyLab Essential 49 (EUR 648): the KeyLab let's you play the MiniBrute 2S and all other synths with a full size keyboard, KeyLab comes with with some useful software; Analog Lab (lots of synths to play), UVI Grand Piano (professionally multisampled piano) and Ableton Live (Sequencer and Digital Audio-Workstation)

If you have a reasonable PC or Mac, that 3rd alternative would get you a complete package for playing and recording music, as well as a nice analogue synth (the 2S) and a great controller keyboard at a price that sits right between your 2 initial alternatives. If I was starting out I'd consider something like that to get the most possibilities for the money, ending up with a nice full size controller keyboard, a nice analogue synth and a software suite to get things going.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 09:15:33 pm by DrJustice »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines