March 28, 2024, 07:05:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: mapping Volca keys parameter on my BSP  (Read 2480 times)

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
mapping Volca keys parameter on my BSP
« on: December 07, 2019, 03:37:13 pm »
hello!

I would like to control the volca keys parameter with the knobs
of my BSP. As an exemple the cut off of the volca.
Is it possible? And if so.. how?

The midi out of the BSP going in the midi in off the Volca.
IMAC 2019 - Volca Keys - Volca Sample
Volca Bass - Beatstep Pro - Drumbrute Impact -  Roland SE-02 - Ableton Live

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: mapping Volca keys parameter on my BSP
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 03:56:49 am »
You need to map the Volca Keys' parameters to the BSP's controller map using MCC.  The parameters CC's are available on Korg's Volca Keys download page.  Get the MIDI Implementation document, it has a chart with all the detail you need for the Volca side of things.  When you have that, punch the numbers into MCC.  Go to the Controller Map tab and select a knob.  Using the drop-down menus, make the appropriate settings to have it sending MIDI CC's on the channel that matches that which your VKeys is set to (if the VKeys is still in defaust settings, that will be ch1), then assign it the CC number corresponding to parameter you want it to control.  Do this with all the knobs and then test it out (I'm assuming here that you have already programmed the pads to play the Volca, or are using its onboard sequencer).  If all is good, you will be able to adjust the parameters on the Volca by turning the knobs and it will feel like magic ;)

REMEMBER, MOST IMPORTANT, you need to set your VKeys to receive (what Korg call in their manuals) MIDI short messages.  Refer to the Volca Keys manual for detail on how to do that (something along the lines of powering up while pressing function then the rest I can't remember).  If you don't have the Volca in short message mode, it won't respond to any attempts to address its parameters via MIDI CC's.

Hope I've helped.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:28:55 am »
thanks a lot for your answer!! there's probable something that i'm doing wrong cause it's still not working.

1- you need to map the Volca Keys' parameters to the BSP's controller map using MCC.  The parameters CC's are available on Korg's Volca Keys download page.  Get the MIDI Implementation document, it has a chart with all the detail you need for the Volca side of things. 

1- I d/l the Volca keys midi implementation chart.

2- When you have that, punch the numbers into MCC. Go to the Controller Map tab and select a knob.  Using the drop-down menus, make the appropriate settings to have it sending MIDI CC's on the channel that matches that which your VKeys is set to (if the VKeys is still in defaust settings, that will be ch1), then assign it the CC number corresponding to parameter you want it to control.  Do this with all the knobs and then test it out (I'm assuming here that you have already programmed the pads to play the Volca, or are using its onboard sequencer).  If all is good, you will be able to adjust the parameters on the Volca by turning the knobs and it will feel like magic ;)

2- For the test, i used the CC #44 (cutoff) that. In the Controller Map section of the Midi control centre, i click on the knob 1, it became red. After i enter the #44 in the MIDI CC part.
I choose CC from the dropdown menu that is called MODE. I also entered in the Midi Channel slot the number 15. My volca keys is receiving also on the channel 15.[/size]

REMEMBER, MOST IMPORTANT, you need to set your VKeys to receive (what Korg call in their manuals) MIDI short messages.  Refer to the Volca Keys manual for detail on how to do that (something along the lines of powering up while pressing function then the rest I can't remember).  If you don't have the Volca in short message mode, it won't respond to any attempts to address its parameters via MIDI CC's.

In the volca setting, MIDI short messages is on. I'm also in CONTROL MODE position on the BSP.

What else am i missing?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:41:57 am by hiro »

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:45:01 am »
Should i enter infos, in the window? (see attachment)

When you say

punch the numbers into MCC

where exactly do you mean?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:46:36 am by hiro »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:18 am »
Everything seems to be correct, all your settings in MCC are as they should be and the only 'device settings' that should affect it are the user channel and user acceleration settings.  It's always good to double check the MIDI channel on the Volca is set to 15 and a check your cable.  I'd also maybe check if there are any known issues regarding using a controller with the Keys.  Also you can use MCC to check that all the parameters you have set on the BSP are sending as they should by opening the MIDI Console view.  I'll see if I can get around to programming a control map for my Volca Drum at some stage, though I am behind in some other duties and really need to catch-up on them (though creating a controller for my VDrum would really help me with part of what I need to do).  That said, I had not problems at all running my VBeats via CC's; attached an LFO to the agogo pitch and turned it into a cowbell, because what is a drum kit that is missing a cowbell?
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 02:16:07 am »
since i can play notes from the volca keys on the BSP pads and i hear the volca keys sounds, should the rest should work?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 02:37:38 am »
Yes most definitely.  I can't think of anything that maybe defeating you currently.  Have you tried checking the data being sent by the BSP?  Another way to check is to use MIDIOX (if you are on Windows).  Select the BSP as your incoming MIDI source then open the MIDI monitor then turn the knobs.  It'll give a constant stream of data it receives from the BSP.

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:52 am »
yes data appears in the MIDI CONSOLE with the right channel.

I'm on MAC..

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 01:23:49 pm »
Okay had a play around with the Controller map and I think there maybe one last bit we missed attending to and that is, the store to part!  I forgot to mention that after assigning the CC's to the knobs in MCC, you need to then tell MCC to store the map to your BSP by hitting the "Store To" button in between the two project browsers on the left!  I usually only amend the Drum Map and for some reason that is automatically sent to the BSP without the need to use the Store To button.  Now that would explain why your screen shot is showing Ch14 CC10 Pan being transmitted when you turn Knob 1.

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 01:28:10 am »
hi again!

Even after installing the volca keys update.. still the same issue. :-(

I also hit the button STORE TO and i have the same problem.

The Vk is set to receive on channel 13 from the knob 1

and i enter CC 44 (it represent the cutoff on the Vk) /see attachment

Meanwhile i notice something weird from the MCC midi console.

Like you'll see from the attachment, the MCC midi console show that the channel is 13 is used (and thats good)

but CC 10 still show. when it  supposed to show CC 44?

You see what i mean?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:37:12 am by hiro »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 02:06:43 am »
Did you save it (store) to the same project that you have active on the BSP?

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 02:11:20 am »
i'm not too familliar with the MCC yet. Before doing the action STORE TO,
 i chose PROJECT 1. How can i know which project is active?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 02:36:35 am »
Is the BSP running project 1?

What I did was plug my BSP into MCC, made the appropriate settings to the controller map, and as I was working in project 6 on my BSP, selected project 6 in the browser then hit store to so that it saved the controller map to project 6.  The only differences between my settings and yours' are the MIDI channel (10) and I set mine to transmit on both MIDI and USB.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:43:10 am by megamarkd »

hiro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 02:49:49 am »
ok i just understand stuff from the MCC. :-) thanks to you! :-)

when i turn knob on the BSP, i hear the sound modifying from the Vk

but i sill not able to the cutoff filter even if in the MCC, the CC 48  (cutoff) appear.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 03:27:38 am »
Well from the screen shot it looks like you now have CC48 assigned to the knob and it is transmitting, that good.  I'd go through and triple-check all the necessary setting now, such as channel of the VKeys and the other settings within the BSP (like checking on the BSP itself if the project channel is matching the Vkeys channel with the Chan button).  As much as such checking may feel redundant, as far as doing this sort of troubleshooting for myself, the triple check is something I always do to ensure I've not changed something then neglected to revert the changes (even when I'm sure I've covered all that).

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines