April 20, 2024, 07:42:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using an expression pedal causes notes to drop-out in Sequencer/Arp  (Read 1655 times)

SingleCell

• Apprentice
This is not a new thing.  I noticed it before the 2.0 firmware.  In my current setup it has become a bit of a bummer. 

What I find is that moving an expression pedal that's plugged into the expression inputs, will occasionally cause notes to drop out in the Arpeggiator, Sequencer and Matrix Arpeggiator.  It doesn't happen all the time... sometimes it will play for a while with no issues, then suddenly drop a note, or sometimes a few notes close together.  It doesn't matter if the expression pedal is routed to anything via the matrix or not.  It doesn't happen when the pedal is not being moved.  I've tried it with a pair of Moog Expression Pedals, as well as my old Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, with the same results.  It happens on either expression pedal input.

Testing at low speeds on very simple sequences, it seems inconsistent in behavior.  Sometimes it sounds like the note plays, but doesn't trigger the envelopes.  Other times it sounds like the note doesn't play at all.

I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue... or maybe it's a problem with my particular machine.  If anyone else has seen this behavior, it would be nice to confirm it isn't just a problem on my end.

endreola

Re: Using an expression pedal causes notes to drop-out in Sequencer/Arp
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:05:34 am »
Is your expression pedal cable TRS wired using Tip = pot center tap; Ring = 3.3V; Sleeve = Ground?

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:39:54 am »
The Moogs are EP-3, standard expression pedal with TRS cable.  The Ernie Ball needs a special cable, which I have, basically an FX insert cable (also TRS).  The pedals work, they just also cause this other undesirable behavior.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 11:43:08 am by SingleCell »

standingwave

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 03:40:30 am »
Please log this with Arturia tech support.  I've noticed some dropped notes, but could not verify or repeat the cause. This could help them to zero in on the issue!
 Cheers.

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 09:09:24 am »
Do you use expression pedal(s)?

standingwave

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 11:37:17 am »
Yep. 2 expression pedals and a sustain pedal.
 The dropped notes are so random, and go by so fast, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what happened.

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 12:38:11 pm »
Good to know, thanks.  I just sent a message to tech support.  I haven't tested if a Sustain Pedal causes it too, I can't find mine.  But on a whim I tested the filter CV input with a Eurorack LFO, and could NOT get it to drop any notes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:40:47 pm by SingleCell »

standingwave

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 01:43:04 pm »
Good work! Hopefully we catch this for a hotfix in the next OS release.
 Thanks!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 03:42:52 pm »
I can confirm that the odd note can be cut/dropped. I had to test this for a long time (maybe ten minutes and hundreds of expression sweeps) and got two instances of dropped notes.

... But on a whim I tested the filter CV input with a Eurorack LFO, and could NOT get it to drop any notes.
The CV inputs are directly connected to the voice electronics, so you wouldn't see any glitches there, like the ones you describe for the expression pedals.  BTW, the direct connection of the CV inputs means that they can take audio rate modulation.

standingwave

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 02:23:44 pm »
Many thanks to you as well Dr.J
 I feel we need a batman-esque call for you. I appreciate the work you've put in!
 So glad we found the issue related to this one, it's been bugging me.
 Cheers.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines