March 29, 2024, 02:56:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arpeggiator - Custom, Add Rests, Octave Range Selection  (Read 2709 times)

joaoorecchia

• Apprentice
Arpeggiator - Custom, Add Rests, Octave Range Selection
« on: December 05, 2019, 12:31:49 pm »
Hello!

I love the thing but the arpeggiator is so repetitive, imo due to a lack of flexibility. I'd love to see:

1. the ability to create custom arpeggio rhythms in MCC. This could be as simple as the ability to switch each step on or off so more interesting patterns can be made.

and/or

2. the ability to add rests to the arp pattern on the fly. This could be done in the same way as the new Sequence Length update - record + x switches that step off or on

3. a single button selection of the octave range. Great that 32 notes can be added, but I'd love to tell it to arpeggiate 3 notes over 2 or 3 octaves without having to build it. It't not practical when playing through a progression where every chord should be arped over 3 octaves.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Arpeggiator - Custom, Add Rests, Octave Range Selection
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 03:16:22 am »
3. a single button selection of the octave range. Great that 32 notes can be added, but I'd love to tell it to arpeggiate 3 notes over 2 or 3 octaves without having to build it. It't not practical when playing through a progression where every chord should be arped over 3 octaves.

Have you tried this: "You can even do multi-octave arpeggiations by holding Shift and pressing the Oct+ or Oct- buttons multiple times. Doing so will let you repeat the arpeggiation up or down by up to four octaves."
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

fenin

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 07:50:24 pm »
noice...
keep on dubbin

joaoorecchia

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 05:13:44 pm »

Have you tried this: "You can even do multi-octave arpeggiations by holding Shift and pressing the Oct+ or Oct- buttons multiple times. Doing so will let you repeat the arpeggiation up or down by up to four octaves."

@megamarkd I completely missed that! Thanks, I'm gonna try it soon as I get in front of it.

r23d

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 07:20:17 am »
I'm adding a comment here rather than starting a new post just to add my voice to the need for rhythmic flexibility to the arpeggiator.

TBH, this is a dealbreaker for me.  I have a beatstep pro and would get a keystep pro in a heartbeat if I could program the rhythm sequence for the arpeggiator separately to the melody on the step sequencer buttons.

To echo the original poster, and another later post, the arpeggiator playing on every note gets REALLY repetitive even if you change the time signature.  It's really a wasted opportunity to have a great step sequencer up top with 16 buttons that you could use to enter a rhythmic pattern into, but just have the arp playing every beat. 

The note sequence needs to be stored separately to the rhythm sequence, so if there are different numbers of notes in the arp to the number of beats in the sequence, a complete repeat will take a number of loops.  This kind of polyrhythmic behaviour is super simple and very powerful especially at creating variety in live jams and especially attractive to modular users.

FYI, I use an old SH101 and regularly play its arpeggiator live using a clock in that comes from a drum trigger so I can change the rhythm and set up simple, but powerful polyrhythms.

I also use an ARPIE for midi gear https://six4pix.net/product/arpie/ that does this very easily and more.  If you want this functionality, I recommend you check it out.

cheers all,

Richard Allen, Melbourne Australia

Hello!

I love the thing but the arpeggiator is so repetitive, imo due to a lack of flexibility. I'd love to see:

1. the ability to create custom arpeggio rhythms in MCC. This could be as simple as the ability to switch each step on or off so more interesting patterns can be made.

and/or

2. the ability to add rests to the arp pattern on the fly. This could be done in the same way as the new Sequence Length update - record + x switches that step off or on

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines