March 29, 2024, 09:46:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi Sync it still a nightmare  (Read 4065 times)

francoise

Re: Midi Sync it still a nightmare
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 02:34:13 pm »
Thank you Lunatic Sound, since less is (often) best, I'll untick midi timecode.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 10:13:45 am »
Hello Françoise.
I'm quite curious about the issue you faced.
Can you confirm that uncheck MIDI timecode resolved the issue?
If not, can you please describe further the issue faced?
Thank you !
Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 10:56:38 pm »
OK guys, I updated, I found the time to run an extensive check, and I come with good news:

The sync is reasonably tight! For Francois, this means, this is probably an issue on your end, as I am on Cubase as well, albeit Cubase 10. But I have been a Cubase user for ages and sync was always rather good, some even claim, it was better in older versions, due to less processing overhead. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend checking, if all boards are updated, and if yes, give me more details about your setup, I may be able to help.

Big props again to Eduardo for even following up with a question here and for fixing this!

I have tested USB MIDI as well as MIDI through my RME Babyface, which prides itself in extra low MIDI Jitter, and they both stay in the same ballpark of 1-3 ms of jitter, which is good enough for playing a tight swing.

Beautiful!

And by the way, the fact, that the sequencer stays in sync, when switching presets, is mind blowing.

Congratulations.

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 11:55:31 pm »
I've already "complained" in another thread, but the v2 clocking is a super hot mess in my opinion.

I generally have a synth generating constant midi clock while it is turned on.  Most synths spit this out by default, right out of the box - you power it up and you've got a clock stream that is the tempo set by the synth pulsating down the 5 pin DIN output jack.  I usually have said synth plugged into the MB using old school 5 pin DIN.  By pressing the MIDI Sync button on the MB, the MB syncs up when you turn on the Arp or start the sequencer (assuming you've got a sequence programmed in), and the LFOs run synchronized as well as long as the Seq-Sync is on for the LFO.

This basic functionality is now broken, you have to implement remote MIDI commands to start or stop seq to get the MB to react to incoming midi clock.

PLEASE fix this back the way it was.  Everything else about the V2 firmware is awesome, but I'm missing out on it due to downgrading the firmware back so my clocking works.  I hope I've explained this coherently, if you know of a trick or technique I'm missing please please advise.  I rarely use computers anymore, preferring to just play/jam and it's really fun when you have everything connected via a single midi clock master and every synth/drum machine starts riffing perfectly in time when you reach over to play it's KARMA, midi-synched LFOs, programmed beat or riff, etc.

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 10:02:07 am »
Just an observation. No MIDI is accurate. If you want super tight don't use MIDI. Really. Use CV from your DAW over audio into the MxB. Silent Way expert sleepers is one way. Now that IS tight. Makes you want to never use MIDI again. All you need is an old audio interface that works with CV. I use an old MOTU 2408. Sample accurate everything... well damn near.
MIDI is 1980s tech.

Try this https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html you will never want to use MIDI again (because it sucks).

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 01:03:12 pm »
Seriously use CV instead of MIDI anyway. Just been listening to a track I am making that uses CV to trigger the notes. After correcting the round trip latency after tracking it down the timing is exceptional. Honestly try it. MIDI is so soft compared, even when it is technically "right" it is still way more loose than using CV. Without MIDI the timing is true and crisp and just feels great.
RIP MIDI. The future is voltage.

standingwave

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 02:09:22 pm »
FYI- MIDI 2.0 was just released into the wild.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines