March 28, 2024, 10:06:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Editing Ableton Script on Shift + Pad8  (Read 2062 times)

manninosi

• Apprentice
Editing Ableton Script on Shift + Pad8
« on: December 03, 2019, 07:08:41 pm »
Hello!

I'm trying to find a way to customize the Ableton script that is in the "shift + p8" or create my own script to set-up the communication. Searching through google hasn't yielded any results on where to even start with this. The closest I found was someone making a node script to control windows volume.

Has anyone attempted this before? Is it possible to have Artuira provide the script to be edited?

Thank you!

LBH

Re: Editing Ableton Script on Shift + Pad8
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 07:56:24 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I don't use Ableton.
But are'nt the script in the path shown in this Ableton help article?:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/206240184-Creating-your-own-Control-Surface-script
Or can't the info in the article help you?

manninosi

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 08:08:35 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I don't use Ableton.
But are'nt the script in the path shown in this Ableton help article?:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/206240184-Creating-your-own-Control-Surface-script
Or can't the info in the article help you?

I haven't even seen this! I've been narrowing my search only to Arturia scripts. I'll poke around on this and report back!

manninosi

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 10:14:42 pm »
I've been messing around with this and downloaded a midi monitor to check what CC commands are being used.

I used the Input/Output Names as  "Arturia MINILAB mkII"

To do a simple test I changed the mixer control settings:
VolumeSlider1: 22

This should used encoder knob 1 when on memory bank 2. I boot up Ableton and set the control surface to my newly defined UserConfiguration folder and the knobs are not controlling any of the volumes.

Any guidance on how to get this to work?

Also, as an overall questions I don't think this is exactly what I had in mind. The preset LIVE configuration, in memory bank 8, illuminates the pads a certain color when a clip is present. I'd like to be able to change that functionality as well, and I don't think the user control settings file is capable of doing that.

Isn't there a python script API that does some of this interfacing?

Thanks!

LBH

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:38:38 pm »
FYI: I also does'nt have a Arturia controller yet.

Here you can see what Arturias ableton mapping controls:
https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization/ableton-live-control-surface-mappings

What you can do in Arturias MIDI Control Center and on the controller it self, is what you can do from controller side. The rest is from DAW side.

What is it you are trying to do?

VolumeSlider1: 22
What does this 22 mean?
I don't know about Python, but i would say it could mean a midi CC number, and then the number should be the CC number your controller send out from a parameter. Is that the case? And there might be other messages involved like MIDI number or other things to make it work, if it's at all possible to do, what you wan't.

manninosi

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 12:14:40 am »
Thanks for all of the replies!

What is it you are trying to do?

For functionality, I'm trying to modify the mapping controls that you listed from Arturia. Currently, the pads 1-8 will record/play scenes. These pads will also illuminate red if it is being recorded, yellow if a clip is playing, and green if a clip can be played.
Pads 9-16 do the same thing but for the row below the currently selected row (which is kind of a confusing functionality).

I would like to repeat the above functionality, except limit it only to pads 9-16 to record/play clips. Currently once a clip is played, that whole scene cannot be stopped unless I click over using the mouse, so I would like to be able to click on the current scene PAD that is being played at it will STOP. Pads 1-8 can be quickly switched to and play finger drums without playing/recording scenes. It would also be nice to have one of the push-encoders  to arm the selected track so I don't have to click over with a mouse. I'm sure other desired functions will come up as I start to poke around these things.

Overall, I'd also like to just have a better understanding of how the python interface works. I've found some interesting resources that are starting to point me in the right direction!

This github repository has all of the uncompiled python scripts for ALL of the supported MIDI devices. Thus, I was able to find the minilab mkII files.

https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive10.1_MIDIRemoteScripts 

It is kind of a monster coding project, but I found a blog site (it is from 2010 but it is still applicable) that goes over some of the base coding that Ableton developed.

http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/2010/03/introduction-to-framework-classes.html

If anyone has some experience with this and has a more update instructions that would be beneficial. As I make any breakthroughs and changes I'll be sure to add them here!

Also, to address your other questions about 22 that is reference to the midi CC number. It matched the CC number from the midi monitor, but still didn't work when running Ableton.

Thanks!

LBH

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 12:49:57 am »
yes it look like Python scripts have to be involved and compiled, if this shall have a chance to work. Look like much other scripting, but has it's own speciel command library it look like.

It can be fun to code and give understanding, but it can also steal time.

Perhaps you are lucky someone in this forum can help you further. Perhaps you can find someone in Ableton forums.

Good luck.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines