April 16, 2024, 05:50:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BUG in 2.0 - Duo/Split Legat Glide with velocity  (Read 1489 times)

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BUG in 2.0 - Duo/Split Legat Glide with velocity
« on: December 03, 2019, 09:28:57 am »
When in Duo-Split mode (no sequencer or arpeggiator running), using Legato Glide on the upper part, I'd like to have velocity affect glide time negatively, so that low velocity legato notes makes the notes slide slowly, while high velocity legato notes make notes slide quickly. Non-legato notes change pitch instantaneously.

The problem is that as long as the first note is pressed at a high velocity, it doesn't matter how softly I press the next, legato, note. The pitch change is still fast. Both overlapping notes need to have a lower velocity in order for the glide to be slow. It seems logical to me that only the last note's velocity should matter here.

If the first note is low velocity, then the overlapping note is high velocity, the pitch change is fast, so it's not an average value that is used either.

To complicate things, it doesn't consistenly behave like this (mostly it does), and I can't find a pattern to the exceptions.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:03:28 pm by PES »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: BUG in 2.0 - Duo/Split Legat Glide with velocity
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:14:43 pm »
I'm not getting velocity sensitive Glide time in Duo Split (or other modes). I may be missing something here... How are you doing this?

Agreed on last velocity capture for governing velocity. BTW, this works elsewhere now (fixed for key hold and arpeggiator in 2.0).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:20:18 pm by DrJustice »

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 04:05:41 pm »
Set Legato to glide, activate the glide button, set glide amount a bit high, then assign that knob in the matrix, and set velocity to affect it negatively.

Funny thing is it seems to work like it should if I use a positive value in the mod matrix. I tried to do the same thing but affecting pitch by velocity, playing legato, and it works like expected on positive values, but not negative.

So velocity modulation when the modulation is negative is somehow affected by the first note before the last legato note (in addition to the last note).  ???

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 04:20:12 pm »
Ah, by a mod matrix assignment! Got you! :D

It seems to behave as expected here. Can't say I get any strange things when playing legato, with +ve and -ve velocity to glide modulation. When letting go of the last key played, the velocity becomes that of the previous key played if the latter is still held. Edit: the Glide has to be quite far counterclockwise for the negative modulation to be noticeable, but surely, that's not the issue. Perhaps I'm doing something slightly different from you... - BTW I'm starting from an Init preset.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:33:27 pm by DrJustice »

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 04:36:38 pm »
So, a bit hectic around here for proper testing atm, but at least Duo Split has nothing to do with it, it's the same on a normal mono patch I see now. So yes, from an init patch set it up as described, then play as hard as you can on the first note, then play as softly as you can on the second note while still holding the first.

Like 80% of the time there's an abrupt change. When you play both notes softly, there's never an abrupt change, it glides.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:38:28 pm by PES »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 05:08:22 pm »
OK - I'm getting it now!

I was not hammering the keys hard enough :-[ The first played note must be of a quite high velocity, and as you say, it's not consistent. At velocity 113 I'm not getting it, at velocity 117 I'm getting it roughly 50% of the time, so there appears to be a velocity point for the previously played key at which the bug is "switched" in.

Good catch, PES! As usual, if you file a ticket, the chances of it being addressed increases (I'll add a report too).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:30:39 pm by DrJustice »

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 06:07:47 pm »
I just came here to applaud the both of you.

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:07:53 pm »
Thanks for looking into it doctor. :) I did file a ticket when making the topic, before checking and seeing it was not exclusive to Duo-Split or legato glide.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:09:50 pm by PES »

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 11:53:41 am »
Hello.

We are looking into this, but not sure we can resolve it as it is most likely caused by the velocity value being sent vs the glide time that must be updated at the same time...

Best Regards.

DGDGDGDGDG

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines