March 28, 2024, 11:34:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Stereo Panning Problem with all synths!  (Read 1948 times)

everstones

• Apprentice
Stereo Panning Problem with all synths!
« on: October 15, 2019, 11:26:37 pm »
Does anyone else experience this issue with Ableton?

Whenever I load up two instances of the same instrument same patch and pan them left and right, it sounds great - nice and stereo, but then when I close the set and reopen it, they end up not sounding wide.  They are so similar they sound mono, and then if I delete one instance and reload it, they produce a nice stereo image again.

It's so frustrating to have to do this every time I reopen a session!  I'm guessing there is some internal randomization lfo or something that is starting exactly at the same time when the session loads and then is changed by deleting one instance and reloading.

I with they would fix this.  It's bee a problem for me for many versions.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:28:20 pm by everstones »

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Re: Stereo Panning Problem with all synths!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:48:25 pm »
This sounds like an Ableton issue, not Arturia. I've never had such a thing happen in Reaper. But I don't use Ableton much, cuz I've only got Lite. I've not tried such a thing in Cakewalk, so can't comment on that.
This space left intentionally blank.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 01:37:24 pm »
Does anyone else experience this issue with Ableton?

Whenever I load up two instances of the same instrument same patch and pan them left and right, it sounds great - nice and stereo, but then when I close the set and reopen it, they end up not sounding wide.  They are so similar they sound mono, and then if I delete one instance and reload it, they produce a nice stereo image again.

It's so frustrating to have to do this every time I reopen a session!  I'm guessing there is some internal randomization lfo or something that is starting exactly at the same time when the session loads and then is changed by deleting one instance and reloading.

I with they would fix this.  It's bee a problem for me for many versions.
Like you said, the issue is caused by the fact both instances are producing exactly the same waveforms because they've both been launched and used at precisely the same time. The solution is to convert the second track to audio once you're happy the two instances sound different enough to give the wide effect you're after. I use Logic Pro, and in Logic it's called freezing the track, but I'm sure every DAW has its own method and terminology for doing the same thing.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

everstones

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:02:37 am »
yes that is a good working around thanks.  I usually don't like to freeze tracks unless I absolutely have to, but definitely a good idea.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines