April 19, 2024, 10:25:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Faders and knobs multi assignment. How can I do it?  (Read 1970 times)

divvydoo

• Apprentice
Faders and knobs multi assignment. How can I do it?
« on: November 10, 2019, 05:51:35 am »
It seems that I could use the Part Buttons for this, but they are off as default.
They show the possibilities
"Off"
"MIDI Note"
"Patch Change"
"Switched Program"
"MMC"

I guess I must use patch change, but then I am still not done, seems I have to set a "Program Number" to a value 0-127 in the patch change menu of the knob. What is that about? It is not even mentioned in the manual.

LBH

Re: Faders and knobs multi assignment. How can I do it?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 04:26:04 pm »
What do you mean by "Multi assignment"? I don't think Keylab Essential has Banks to set a different midi CC for a control in each bank like Keylab MKII has, if that's what you mean.

divvydoo

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:47:02 pm »
WUUUUUT?!? What are you talking about? Even the MPK Mini can do that!

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 06:29:50 pm »
So that was what you meant, i must assume.

WUUUUUT?!? What are you talking about? Even the MPK Mini can do that!
I think only the Pads on mini MPK has banks. Not the knobs. The manual https://www.akaipro.com/amfile/file/download/file/521/product/47/ only mention banks for pads. If you does'nt agree, then please post documentation.

You can create user templates in Keylab essential - i believe. So is'nt that a possiblity? I don't have an Arturia controller yet.
And you can configure different maps in Arturias applications.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:40:28 pm by LBH »

divvydoo

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:33:07 pm »
I think only the Pads on mini MPK has banks. Not the knobs. The manual https://www.akaipro.com/amfile/file/download/file/521/product/47/ only mention banks for pads. If you does'nt agree, then please post documentation.

Oops, I think you are actually right. Seems I am mixing up apples with oranges.

You can create user templates in Keylab essential - i believe. So is'nt that a possiblity? I don't have an Arturia controller yet.
And you can configure different maps in Arturias applications.

Yes, you are also right here. I have come to realise now that a part of this problem is that I had not truly realised the differences in AKAI and Arturia MIDI Editor. You can map each User 1-6 differently.

But I'm not yet convinced about the bank stuff. After all, why are the part knobs set to "off" by default and you can set them to "patch change"? I invite you to look into it in MIDI Control Center if you have that. You can look at every one of Arturia's product's MIDI Control Center section there.

Wait, let me show you in an attachment...

LBH

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:17:55 pm »
You can actually read a lot of this in the manuals.

If you read section "2.9. Part Controls" in Keylab Essentials manual, then you can see, what "bank" means. It's used with the DAW map. It's about how the next/ prev act in 2 modes.
When you use the Analog Lab map, then it's part 1, 2 and live tab selectors.

If you in the Midi control center (MMC) select the Keylab MKII device, then you can see, that each encoder and fader have 3 tabs for the 3 banks Keylab MKII have. This the Essential does'nt have.

Regarding the settings you have in MCC for the part 1, 2 and live buttons:
- I think "OFF", then it's simply working "normal", meaning like the labels on the keyboard show.
- When you use MIDI note, then you can send out a midi note instead.
- When you use Switched Control, then you can send out a midi CC messages.
- I don't understand why they use the name Patch Change, as it's actually is a ProgramChange message, that is send out. ProgramChanges include both a Bank and a ProgramChange value. It's used to select a preset or patch like some call it, and that might be the reason to use the word Patch, but i think they should call it Program Change. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI
- When you use MMC, then the buttons can send MIDI Machine Control commands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines