April 26, 2024, 11:45:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Is arturia drumbrute worth buying?  (Read 1526 times)

Tiffhan

Is arturia drumbrute worth buying?
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:46:32 pm »
I have one. It is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship and can do some really great stuff, but it is not a generalist machine. It always sounds like itself and it is only really good in its niche. If you want something that has a lot of range and can sound exactly right and different on each track then you may want to look at something else. However, if you like the DrumBrute sound then it is worth getting. It has a much better workflow than most drum machines and you can make some pretty complex patterns with it. The polyrhythm support is great. The filter is kind of useless. You can kind of use it for fills and transitions, but it comes more in handy just for rolling off some of the extreme high end of the hats and cymbals - which can get pretty head splitting. It allows you a lot of room to customize the sounds, but it doesn't save presets, so you have to kind of limit your programming to patterns that would work with any sounds, which can be a bit of a pain. I think that is maybe the biggest problem with the DrumBrute - it really needed sound recall because often times you want just the right sounds for your drum parts and it is always kind of a toss up with the brute. Finally, it is a device that can use some post-processing. A compressor comes in really handy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:23:45 pm by Tiffhan »

Spintonik

• Apprentice
Re: Is arturia drumbrute worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 05:04:48 pm »
Purchased mine one month ago.
On itself it sounds "dunk, donk, plink, plonk thss..."

But I routed 6 separate outs and master out into separate channels, compressed and EQ'd the hell out of those tracks, added the touch of reverb here and there and Voila!
Suddenly it sounds JUST like those disco/house tracks I hear everywhere in radio nowadays.

I used Yamaha N12 mixer's (350 euros second hand) internal EQ and Compressor + reverb, that's one of the best gear purchases I've ever done. I am sure any multi-channel sound card and set of plugins will do the same. But If one can not use external outboard or separate channels, Something with pre-processed samples like Roland TR-8S would be much more handy.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines