April 20, 2024, 06:52:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Thunderbolt 3 to usb hub  (Read 1806 times)

NeoSun

• Apprentice
Thunderbolt 3 to usb hub
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:46:52 am »
Hi all,

bought the essential 49 yesterday but am having trouble connecting the controller due to my 2016 mac only having thunderbolt 3 connections and apparently a simple thunderbolt 3 to usb hub (sitecom) does not work because the lack of power.

Now I bought a thunderbolt 3 to usb hub (ewent1135) with a 5V external power to compensate.

But this time, when I connect the essential 49 to the usb hub (connected to the mac's thunderbolt 3), it powers up fine, but isn't recognised on the mac.
At that point I plug in the 5v connection for that extra power and immediately the essential 49 disconnects and a message pops up on my mac saying that mac disabled the usb port because a device is taking too much power and I have to disconnect it... but it's the 5v power adapter(?)

Maybe the multi adapter to feed the usb port is incompatible with the usb hub? Adapter is 750 mA with different volt settings (yes, I've put it on 5v), and on the usb hub (ewent1135) it only states 5v.

I know this is hardly an Arturia thing, but maybe you techsavvy guys could lend me a hand

Thank you

EDIT: could something like this resolve the problem?
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-IF-Certified-Printer-Meters/dp/B00WJSPW6S

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
Mojave 10.14.6
2,9 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 460 4 GB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:00:34 am by NeoSun »

NeoSun

• Apprentice
Re: Thunderbolt 3 to usb hub
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 07:35:52 pm »
Thanks for the big big help...

In case anyone wonders:

250 euro's on cables and adapters, and hubs (with power) later, we found out that drawing power was not an issue. The data connection seemed obscured.

I eventually came across a usb-c to a usb-b cable (so no hub) and this works flawless!

In case anyone comes across the same problem, this is what you need:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Printer-USB-C-Black/dp/B00VKSF39O

Edit: Now updating the firmware seems impossible though. It handles the connection as through a hub I suspect.
But anyways. It kinda works (after uninstalling everything, reinstalling and all that jazz, DAW controls are not working)

Thank you Arturia, thank you....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:43:20 pm by NeoSun »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines