March 28, 2024, 01:28:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Mod Wheel - Help!  (Read 3464 times)

benimp

• Apprentice
Mod Wheel - Help!
« on: October 06, 2019, 05:03:22 am »
Hi All,

I'm going through a major learning phase with the ARP2600, and am struggling to get much out of the Mod Wheel.

I really want to be able to control the level of the VCOs through it, especially if/when I have a noise assigned to one of the VCOs. For the life of me, I can't find a way of patching this. All I seem to get is an incredibly quiet pop.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

LBH

Re: Mod Wheel - Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:47:14 pm »
HI again.

You can use the Voltage Processors to control volume.

If you

1. connect an OSCs audio output to a Voltage Processor A input, and set the MIX slider fully towards the B input
2. connect the modwheel to the the MOD IN with full modulation amount for the slider
3. connect the Voltage Processor output to where you wan't the output to go

then you can control the volume of that OSC fully.

I attach a preset to import that show a simple example.

especially if/when I have a noise assigned to one of the VCOs.
Keep in mind that the sliders / inputs for the OSCs is modultion sliders/ inputs.
The noise module is a independent sound source. If you connect it to an OSCs inputs, then it modulate either pitch or PWM of that OSC.
Not sure i understand, what you have done. A screenshot and/ or preset would help - if you need more help to this.

And keep in mind that the Voltage Processor Section can be used as an audio mixer, using the sections sliders to adjust the A and B input levels.

benimp

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 03:21:13 pm »
LBH - you are definitely my friend for life - thank you so much for your time in giving me this advice - I really appreciate it.

I think my struggles in understanding how to do this were largely because of my struggles to understand the voltage processors as well (which as you can see, I'm still getting my head around). The way I see it, they basically offer another way of re-routing and modulating the signal... and therefore loads more possibilities as a result. Before I was stuck on simply trying to connect the mod wheel to one of the outputs in the VCF and couldn't understand why I wasn't getting any results. Anyway, you've saved me a load of time LBH - thank you once again!

And on the noise generator, this was a simple fix as I just patched in the Noise Gen Out to the Voltage Processor In A, then patched out to VCO 1 - problem solved! This will be very handy for some of the sequences I'm planning on making in the coming days.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 10:01:34 pm »
Your welcome benimp.

It's great if you with the current thread and this thread https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=95678.0 have got an understanding on the various and very useful possibilties the Voltage Processors bring.
Perhaps others can use it too, that's why i post the above link.

I hope, it will help you to create some good sounds and music.

methodman3000

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 07:46:45 pm »
Here's another way I cheat because my controller has no mod wheel.  Look in your sequencer and see if they have a virtual typing keyboard.  For many sequencers they will automatically be programmed to modulate the patch.  I use Cakewalk and the number 1 through 5 keys modulate.  Better than the modulation of a higher priced version, in my case I own the CT-X3000 because it is battery powered and I never know when my electricity will be shut off.  So I needed that.  but it has no modwheel so I use and rely upon the virtual typewriting controller to do that for me. 

LBH

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 08:18:24 pm »
Here's another way I cheat because my controller has no mod wheel.  Look in your sequencer and see if they have a virtual typing keyboard.  For many sequencers they will automatically be programmed to modulate the patch.  I use Cakewalk and the number 1 through 5 keys modulate.  Better than the modulation of a higher priced version, in my case I own the CT-X3000 because it is battery powered and I never know when my electricity will be shut off.  So I needed that.  but it has no modwheel so I use and rely upon the virtual typewriting controller to do that for me.
Sorry - but i think you misunderstand the topic. This topic is'nt about having a modwheel. It's about how to use a modwheel for a specific thing that require some patching in ARP 2600 V to do.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines