April 24, 2024, 05:13:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Encoders in relative mode not interpreted correctly (SOLVED)  (Read 1643 times)

decredis

• Apprentice
Encoders in relative mode not interpreted correctly (SOLVED)
« on: October 12, 2019, 05:40:50 pm »
Sorry for flurry of questions, new device, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't and how to use it...

As I understand it, there should be two ways of ensuring that when I control a parameter using the endless encoder it doesn't initially jump from its current position on screen: either its 'endless' functionality is used (i.e. the software informs the midi keyboard of the current parameter value, so it starts from there) or 'relative' functionality can be used.

I can't get either of these to work (with Cubase, or with Pianoteq standalone, for example). When I set it to relative in MCC, it correctly transmits the small range of direction values as expected, but I can't get Cubase or Pianoteq to treat them as anything other than absolute (I appreciate this may be a question for Cubase or Pianoteq forums, not here) even though I flag the encoder as 'Relative' in Cubase.

To use the endless functionality, it should I think be enough to tell Cubase to flag the encoder as 'transmit' as well as 'receive', but this doesn't work.

Can anyone confirm that they have this working (i.e. the encoder not causing a jump in parameter value) by either method, whether in Cubase or in any other software?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:59:03 pm by decredis »

LBH

Re: Encoders in relative mode not interpreted correctly
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 08:20:41 pm »
Applications need to support features like Relative modes and also PickUp to work i believe. I would believe that some sort of communication is needed, so the the current value a parameter have is known.
Have you looked in your controllers manual about this? Like section "8.7.2.1. Relative control".

EDIT: In Arturias applications you can set a parameter to "Relative". EDIT END
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:31:20 pm by LBH »

decredis

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 12:54:03 pm »
Hi, yes, I used the instructions to set relative control, and the controller does send out relative signals; but Cubase doesn’t recognise them as such. I guess this *is* a Cubase issue and I should take it up at their forum.

I haven’t tried the Arturia instruments yet as I’ll invalidate the shop’s no-quibble returns policy once I activate the software, so I want to spend a week or so getting to know the keyboard to be sure that I do want to keep it. (So far, loving it, despite the issue with the faders: the key-bed is lovely compared to the synth semi-weighted keys I’m used to, and when combined with Pianoteq software, it feels just like I’m sat at the piano.)

LBH

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:50:10 pm »
You can download Arturia software from Arturias download pages and run it in demo mode without activating it. At least i have done so from time to time.

Yes - ask in Cubase forum if Cubase support Relative mode and Pickup functionality for it's own parameters.

decredis

• Apprentice
Re: Encoders in relative mode not interpreted correctly (SOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 04:00:00 pm »
Well this was very simple to solve. As the very helpful Arturia support guy told me, I just needed to try the other relative settings in MCC. Specifically Relative Mode 2 worked for me.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines