April 26, 2024, 08:56:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Routing to Envelopes  (Read 4291 times)

Michael_G

• Apprentice
Re: Routing to Envelopes
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 11:53:35 am »
In my opinion, VCA Env should have the same status as ENV 2 and 3, that is not be hard-wired to VCA. It would then be easier to control each volume oscillators independently without having to lose one envelope.

I agree.

The method of using the second Envelope while muting the first one has a big drawback. The second Envelope (when the first is acting as an intermediary), will sound nothing like if the first envelope was used. Try to load two instances of Pigments and set them to default INIT preset (Template > Default). In the first Pigment use the VCO Env and in the second Pigment use the second Envelope. It won't be possible to recreate the same Init sine patch. They will sound very differently.
(I discovered this while redoing the snare with the method that was provided (to use the second envelope), and was never able to achieve the same results as if the first VCO envelope was used).

Hey all,

The reason that it sounds different is because the volume knobs have exponential mapping on them. To have a similar result to the VCA envelope when modulating volumes, you must set the decay curve to something linear (otherwise you get twice the exponential shape).

Best,

Victor

Thank you for the tip Victor.

Nevertheless I think hardwired routing for the VCA Env is not the optimal solution. Having the same routing capabilities as the two other envelopes would makes things much easier, especially when it comes to control each oscillator independently (and they are so flexible and powerful they deserve such a treatment  ;) ).

Igro

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 05:37:51 pm »
Thanks, I've been experimenting with this. It is hard to much the sounds. One thing that is not possible to replicate at all is the attack 'click'. In the second Envelop it doesn't give the click at all. So yeah, the free envelope routing would be a nice addition.

LBH

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 06:29:07 pm »
Keep in mind that Pigments only have one output VCA. Everything is affected by that and by any modulator that modulate that output, even if the Env VCA is set to have full sustain and release only.
I don't think being able to freely use another modulator like another Env instead to control the VCA, will make any difference in what this thread is about, because Pigments still only will have one output VCA.

This feature request only make sense to me, if it's about wanting a second VCA and to be able to separate and route different signals to two VCAs, to get two indpendent synthlines like you have in CS-80 V and Modular V.
And then perhaps have one more Env.
Having two independent signal lines routed to two VCAs is the only way to in all cases have complete full control over two parts of a sound.
Such a change require a lot more than just a small Env adjustment in Pigments. Beside a extra VCA it also require a way to separate and route two signals to the 2 VCAs.

What's possible now is to use two instances of pigments, if it's in some cases should be needed. This could in example be set up in a Analog Lab Multi. But can also be set up in a DAW and in other ways.

It's off coarse also possible to use all the excisting modulation possibilities, with the limitation a single VCA in some cases can give, where you actually need to have two independent sounds that each in example use a Env for a VCF and a Env for a VCA.

Stephenm have asked about, if this is about wanting another VCA. I think yes it is. But this is just my thoughts and what i think.

Igro

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 07:10:02 pm »
In my opinion, VCA Env should have the same status as ENV 2 and 3, that is not be hard-wired to VCA. It would then be easier to control each volume oscillators independently without having to lose one envelope.

I agree.

The method of using the second Envelope while muting the first one has a big drawback. The second Envelope (when the first is acting as an intermediary), will sound nothing like if the first envelope was used. Try to load two instances of Pigments and set them to default INIT preset (Template > Default). In the first Pigment use the VCO Env and in the second Pigment use the second Envelope. It won't be possible to recreate the same Init sine patch. They will sound very differently.
(I discovered this while redoing the snare with the method that was provided (to use the second envelope), and was never able to achieve the same results as if the first VCO envelope was used).

Hey all,

The reason that it sounds different is because the volume knobs have exponential mapping on them. To have a similar result to the VCA envelope when modulating volumes, you must set the decay curve to something linear (otherwise you get twice the exponential shape).

Best,

Victor

Thank you for you suggestion. I must say that with the sample engine implementation I can create percussions even without touching the main envelopes. It is because the granular engine has an AD envelope bult-in. Great stuff!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines